What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

20 hours ago, Strider said:

Happy 50th anniversary Montreux August 7-8, 1971. So fucking good. 1971 was the band firing on all cylinders.

They were on top of their game for sure. Amazing run of shows they did at that venue. Absolutely brilliant. 

50th anniversary time. August 21, 1971 at the Forum. Usually the L.A. Forum shows are a highlight of any Led Zeppelin tour. But this one doesn't make my top 10 for 1971.

The band misses cues and Plant bungles the lyrics on quite a few songs. The guitar solo in Stairway is one of the weakest I have heard Jimmy play. He and Bonham never quite connect and miss all the changes and Bonham even forgets the fills that lead into the second half of the solo. The Theremin bit in "Whole Lotta Love" up to and including the guitar solo is a mess. Of course, the preponderance of Bonham's kick drum on the tape makes it hard to hear everything else clearly.

The first few songs are strong and the encores are fun, especially "Weekend". But I just never get the sense the band is firing on all cylinders that I usually get when I listen to other 1971 shows. The Forum crowd is crazed as usual, which adds atmosphere to the tape, and there are an awful lot of firecrackers going off.

12 hours ago, Strider said:

50th anniversary time. August 21, 1971 at the Forum. Usually the L.A. Forum shows are a highlight of any Led Zeppelin tour. But this one doesn't make my top 10 for 1971.

The band misses cues and Plant bungles the lyrics on quite a few songs. The guitar solo in Stairway is one of the weakest I have heard Jimmy play. He and Bonham never quite connect and miss all the changes and Bonham even forgets the fills that lead into the second half of the solo. The Theremin bit in "Whole Lotta Love" up to and including the guitar solo is a mess. Of course, the preponderance of Bonham's kick drum on the tape makes it hard to hear everything else clearly.

The first few songs are strong and the encores are fun, especially "Weekend". But I just never get the sense the band is firing on all cylinders that I usually get when I listen to other 1971 shows. The Forum crowd is crazed as usual, which adds atmosphere to the tape, and there are an awful lot of firecrackers going off.

I agree... this show has always seemed a bit overrated to me. It's sounds like they were a little hungover from Plant's birthday party! 😄 

Not a bad show though, and I get why most people like it so much. Like you said, the encores are the highlight, which was usually the case in LA up until 1975. And while Plant is technically hitting most of the high notes, his hoarse voice has always been a little off-putting to me (even though I can put up with his off nights in 73 and 75). 

I actually didn't realize how bad the Stairway solo was until you pointed it out! Jeez...

Of course the odd sound mix may be a bit deceiving to the show at times. Perhaps a alternate source would present the show in better light. I've tended to lean that the next night is a better show overall... both on the ears, and the performance.

Edited by William Austin

50 years gone. August 22, 1971 @ Fabulous Forum of Inglewood. When you went to a Led Zeppelin concert you expected them to open with "Immigrant Song" or "Rock and Roll ". But the crowd at this show got a rare one-off...a cover of the Ventures' "Walk Don't Run" leading into "Immigrant Song".