John Lennon

danelectro59

I'll never get over the fact that John Lennon was shot to death. Who would want to do that? What kind of evil mindset would drive a person to want to shoot John Lennon??

Never ever will I remotely grasp the concept of why this happened.

Happy Birthday John.

I'll never get over the fact that John Lennon was shot to death. Who would want to do that? What kind of evil mindset would drive a person to want to shoot John Lennon??

Never ever will I remotely grasp the concept of why this happened.

Happy Birthday John.

Well said. Not only am I'm convinced that Lennon was a musician in is own league, but I think the world would be a different and better place had he not been murdered. I'm interested in learning more about his life during the mid to late 50's and very early 60's, so I'm looking forward to seeing the movie Nowhere Boy.

Well said. Not only am I'm convinced that Lennon was a musician in is own league, but I think the world would be a different and better place had he not been murdered. I'm interested in learning more about his life during the mid to late 50's and very early 60's, so I'm looking forward to seeing the movie Nowhere Boy.

early reviews say it's pretty good. Hope so. Most movies about him and/or The Beatles have been pretty lame to this point.

I went to Central Park today to see the LENNONYC documentary and it was great. He was such a lovely person and I get choked up just thinking about what happened to him. There are so many songs of John's that I love, it makes me sad that I'll never be able to see him. He was such a brilliant musician and it's such a shame that he was taken from us too soon. I'm sure he had much more beautiful music inside of him that we'll never get to hear but the music he did make during his short time on earth is legendary and some of the best music of all time.

Edited by Taylore

I've seen Nowhere Boy and it's a really good film, much better than I was expecting.

A little late here, although my friends (two of whom went to Strawberry Fields to leave flowers and say prayers) and I honored him yesterday. We were, are and, for the rest of our lives, always will be passionate Beatles fans. John Lennon had a tremendous and unique impact on our lives. Driving home last night, my husband and I talked about the days when John walked the streets of NYC, his adopted home, with impunity and those of us who were lucky enough to catch a glimpse of him, left him alone to enjoy his freedom and a sense of "anonymity."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOe8GdpjfxU

he would have celebrated his 70th birthday along with son Sean's 35th.

Life isn't always fair, but the memories cannot be erased.

If you're looking upon us John, happy birthday.

....although my knowledge on Beatles is limited, I still remember being silent for a moment or two as announced on the Radio that John was no more....that moment along with our beloved Bonzo I still remember...a very happy birthday John Lennon, wherever you maybe.I

Edited by PlanetPage

• 2 years later...

Is there a biopic coming out on John Lennon? Do tell.

I happened to end up at the Imagine garden in Central Park in 2005 on the 25th anniversary. There was an organic line of people that spiraled in to the Imagine marker and out again with several people playing songs on guitars in the freezing cold. It was moving to see little kids, teenagers, middle agers and older folks all remembering his spirit as one. I don't go in for meeting celebrities (I work with some so no starry eyes) but Lennon strikes me as someone I'd loved to have had a conversation with for the creative leaps that he seemed to take.

• 2 weeks later...

Just viewed John Lennon NYC and was hugely impressed with the documentary. I never did a lot of reading about the personal lives or reviews of artists in the past, my experience was focused on live performance and recordings. I realized that in '71 when he was working with Hoffman and Rubin to speak out for peace against the Vietnman war, I was that May hitch-hiking to D.C. for the massive protest. Had no idea Lennon was involved! This film also features Yoko Ono talking about her life with John, in particular about the time she told him to leave to find him self in L.A. I so got her as she talked about this. You have to open up that sort of space to each other to find your individual grounds independently. She was a conceptual artist first and foremost, and that break allowed her to focus on her own work. As any woman in a serious relationship with an artist knows, it is very easy to loose yourself in supporting your partner's expression. Especially when children come along. It took a divorce to allow creative inspirations to flooding back to me, usher in new explorations and experiences. For all the dismissive things that have said about Yoko, she was a strong partner for John and it would seem was his true equal. I applaud her for that.

• 1 month later...

His music and free spirit live in all of us in one way or another.

What, Lennon was free to be an alcoholic, junkie, wife beating, child neglecting hypocrite with severe mommy and daddy issues? The guy who wrote "Imagine no possessions" yet recorded it in the state of the art studio he had built in his mansion? Lying in bed for a week holding flowers and saying "Give Peace A Chance" is pretty fuckin' easy when yer smacked out of yer brains like John and Yoko were at the time. You have to wonder what Julian Lennon thought about the sentiments his dad put forth in the song "Mother", considering Julian was just about as abandoned by his father as John was by his. Or how Paul and George probably scoffed at the idea of John Lennon -easily the most 'well-off' Beatle growing up- writing a song called "Working Class Hero". How 'bout all the chicks Lennon and the boys banged on the road -misogyny at its finest- only to see John emerge as an early 70's champion of feminism? One of the greatest songwriters of his generation being reduced to being thrown out of L.A. nightclubs with a jamrag stuck on his forehead...I could go on, but my, John Lennon was a very fucked up individual, and yet people canonize the guy, which is something that probably makes John cringe in the afterlife...

I've probably read just about every Beatles/Lennon book there is...and quite frankly I wish I hadn't, because the more I learned about John Lennon the less respect I had for him as a person. Great singer/songwriter (mediocre musician, though), but a very tortured soul. Probably the best example I can think of of "Love the art, not the artist"...I'm sure my sentiments will piss a few people off, but nobody likes to see the Emperor without their clothes.

What, Lennon was free to be an alcoholic, junkie, wife beating, child neglecting hypocrite with severe mommy and daddy issues? The guy who wrote "Imagine no possessions" yet recorded it in the state of the art studio he had built in his mansion? Lying in bed for a week holding flowers and saying "Give Peace A Chance" is pretty fuckin' easy when yer smacked out of yer brains like John and Yoko were at the time. You have to wonder what Julian Lennon thought about the sentiments his dad put forth in the song "Mother", considering Julian was just about as abandoned by his father as John was by his. Or how Paul and George probably scoffed at the idea of John Lennon -easily the most 'well-off' Beatle growing up- writing a song called "Working Class Hero". How 'bout all the chicks Lennon and the boys banged on the road -misogyny at its finest- only to see John emerge as an early 70's champion of feminism? One of the greatest songwriters of his generation being reduced to being thrown out of L.A. nightclubs with a jamrag stuck on his forehead...I could go on, but my, John Lennon was a very fucked up individual, and yet people canonize the guy, which is something that probably makes John cringe in the afterlife...

I've probably read just about every Beatles/Lennon book there is...and quite frankly I wish I hadn't, because the more I learned about John Lennon the less respect I had for him as a person. Great singer/songwriter (mediocre musician, though), but a very tortured soul. Probably the best example I can think of of "Love the art, not the artist"...I'm sure my sentiments will piss a few people off, but nobody likes to see the Emperor without their clothes.

On forums such as this one it's surprising to see how many people express feelings about artists as if they knew them in any significant way. There will always be fans that gush their love for someone in the limelight quite apart from any knowledge they have or not of that person's indiscretions. Aside from the infatuated, the obsessed, or people who shun brilliant work because they don't like something the artist said or did, we can admire talent without condoning an artist's actions or even knowing anything about him at all. Is it necessary to respect Lennon to enjoy his music and recognize that his history and personality gave rise to that music?

Great art rises from those who are the most frustrated, depressed, deluded, disillusioned, passionate, optimistic and extreme among us. Why is it so shocking to discover that Lennon was not a choirboy?

Well nobody is perfect and the books ussualy lie many times so that they are sold and people just LOVE to put down exceptional individuals and portray them closer to their own mediocre self!

Calling someone alcoholic and a junkie in those times is just ridicioulus and while it was always present, it was particulary in those times and I don't think periods of extreme consuption were ever long enough to call Lennon all that!

He earned his money in a rightfull way and in the capitalist system he needed it just like everybody and that does not mean he didn't believe in a better society!

And single parent families happen all the time and kids and parents can handle it and he also gave her money, but it's certainly immature to leave a child at such a young age!

And he certainly was a working class hero for many, if he wanted or not!

It's great that he suppported feminism and he probably didn't bang a quarter as much girls as people talk and as with aggression that he sometimes sadly did, this is also one thing he learned about and grew out of it and then started to fight for good causes based partialy on his own mistakes!

He CERTAINLY had his faults and some of his activism might have been a bit of a publicity thing, but I think he was quite an exceptional person too for real, not just an incredible musician!

Edited by Matjaz1