Studio Mess-Ups

Trampled Underfoot -

I wouldn't call this a mess up-just unique- Bonzo goes from hi-hat to ride for a few secs -where most drummers would have stayed on the hi-hat-even Jason has remarked about this in something I read. This occurs at 5:17 5:22

There is also the false start on Tangerine which I like on Zep 3 but Jimmy took off on the version on the 1990 box set.

• 2 weeks later...

There is also the laughing in You Shook Me. So what! Love it!

Yeah.I love this so much though I am not a big blues fan.The laughing is exact at the right moment and supports the great feeling.

Wonder why that is not mentioned often.These recordings have alot of natural energy you won´t find this in later productions.

What do you think about the recordingsounds in generally?

The old sounds (Good times bad times) fit much better than the néwer once(In the evening).

It not a Zep thing only .Compare:"Honky tonk" woman with newer recordings of the Stones.

I've always liked this "ghost" voice in "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You". It is weird but I never thought it's a mess-up. Actually I think it's a pretty good effect in a song.

you can hear it in the Ocean too, there's one very very silent riff before the main opening kicks in. Can anyone else confirm this?

you can hear it in the Ocean too, there's one very very silent riff before the main opening kicks in. Can anyone else confirm this?

I just listened to that and noticed it. Strange indeed. A lot of this stuff happens when they record over other tapes and some residual from the original recordings still exists. My guess at least.

st after the 1:23 mark in the track, someone in the recording studio is heard saying "stop". It is widely believed that it was Page who said it, although this has never been confirmed. As the song has unique rhythm and syncopation, it is assumed that whoever yelled "stop" was trying to act as a verbal conductor. Before that, at about 0:11 in the song, someone (again possibly Page) says "All right".

Are you talking about Out On The Tiles? At 1:23 Plant says stop. But I never noticed anything at 0:11.

Are you talking about Out On The Tiles? At 1:23 Plant says stop. But I never noticed anything at 0:11.

Someone says stop several times during the song. Thought I remember reading it was Bonzo to remind everyone of the turnaround of the riff.

It is John Bonham talking actually and I hear some other noises too which sound like drum beats right before the main riff.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is John Bonham talking actually and I hear some other noises too which sound like drum beats right before the main riff.

It's John Bonham counting off the intro..

"We've done 4 already and now we're steady and then they went.... 1 2 3 4..." BAM!

Something like that.. JB also counted The Ocean off like this on the 1973 tour.

plus the riff real low.. maybe leaking thru headphones...

i've never heard the phone ringing though...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, by the way is he chuckling in the beginning of WLL or was that a cough?

I think of it as "The Wheeze" :) He's laughing I believe.

Love all the quirks in LZ's recordings.

"I too keep hearing that voice shouting in the background, whenever I listen to "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"! I do wonder what's the story behind that! I'm very very curious."

The famous bleed-throughs on the early records, great stuff. It is pre-echo, caused by print-through from one layer of tape, magnetizing its image onto the next layer. Engineer Eddie Kramer was asked about the bleed-through on WLL: "At one point there was bleed-through of a previously recorded vocal in the recording of 'Whole Lotta Love.' It was the middle part where Robert [Plant] screams 'Wo-man. You need it.' Since we couldn't re-record at that point, I just threw some echo on it to see how it would sound and Jimmy

said 'Great! Just leave it.'"

JP is such a genius producer; he is a bit underrated in that department IMO.

Archived