2011 NFL Football Thread

Bong-Man

It's too early for me. But I want the Patriots to win.

I will note that both teams are in the Super Bowl because of special teams gaffes by the other team. If Baltimore's kicker doesn't choke and the 49ers punt returner doesn't have brain-lock, we could've had our Harbaugh Bowl.

Because the last time the Giants met the Patriots in the Super Bowl, it was one of the best ever.

New England will get killed. Brady knows he sucked out. I heard reports he even said so. They not only miss a chip shot field goal but the ex Bill Evans had the ball in the end zone. In my opinion that was a TD. Baltimore won the game. He ripped the ball out after he caught it. And the the 49ers, what a joke. the guy doesnt get in the way on the punt and its game over and 49ers win. I still think this game is rigged. How does that dumb ass miss a fucking chip shot?

Wow. Early line is out. New England favored by 3. Take the 3 and bet the house. Giants will kill these chumps. How can they stop the Giants? Cant.

That play in the end zone was very very close. I do think it was an incompleted pass though, he only had taken the one step and was turning when the ball was knocked out of his grasp. The post game guys even called him out for not holding onto the ball. What I don't understand is why nobody at the time it happened said anything at all.

I like the rematch and look forward to it. The Giants are now 5-0 in NFC championship games by the way.

That play in the end zone was very very close. I do think it was an incompleted pass though, he only had taken the one step and was turning when the ball was knocked out of his grasp. The post game guys even called him out for not holding onto the ball. What I don't understand is why nobody at the time it happened said anything at all.

I like the rematch and look forward to it. The Giants are now 5-0 in NFC championship games by the way.

I do not know why it was not reviewed. If you have any type of control its a TD. And in my book it was. Baltimore got screwed and we just got screwed. Baltimore would give the Giants hell. New England will be blown out. You wait and see.

I'll take the Patriots by a touchdown!

The Giants were EXTREMELY fortunate to leave SF with a victory! Getting that close to a punt, so it grazes your knee, really!?!

And how is New England going to win with Welker and that polish tight tend alone? Are you kidding me? Do you know what Manning will do to the New England defense? You think flacco did a number on them? Giants will smash them into oblivion. No contest. Giants in a route.

Like Vancouver Rick? :lol:

I like Vancouver and St louis and Detroit to decide the West. I will take Vancouver to get it done on experience over the Blues. Vancouver gets to the final, this time they get it done. Barring unseen injuries.. Giants will pound Brady in his last ever Super Bowl.

And how is New England going to win with Welker and that polish tight tend alone? Are you kidding me? Do you know what Manning will do to the New England defense? You think flacco did a number on them? Giants will smash them into oblivion. No contest. Giants in a route.

They pats looked better against the ravens defense than the giants did against the 9'ers.... No, I don't think Flacco did a number on the pats defense - he only put up 20 on them with what 3 turnovers? Shit the giants gave up 17 to the 49'ers limited offense on a sloppy field and wouldnt have had a chance if that punt hadn't grazed that douchebag's knee on the punt return! This isn't the regular season anymore, the pats defense has come to life and put plenty of pressure on Flacco, just like they will against NY. I am waiting to see how hurt Gronks' ankle is. Haven't watched anything yet this morning.

My Monday Morning Musings...

1. Never overlook Special Teams.

There's a reason they're called 'special'...they frequently decide games. In all the talk most of us had in the lead-up to the games on this thread, I don't think any of us analyzed the special teams play and kicking game of the respective teams. We all focused on offense and defense and the coaches and the weather, with nary a word about...oh, say Billy Cundiff.

I bring up Billy Cundiff because immediately after the game, I received texts from my Dallas-loving brothers saying they weren't surprised at all that Cundiff missed that kick. Cundiff started with the Cowboys, and apparently he shanked so many game-ending field goals they had to release him.

In a close game, you need to have a dependable kicker...I should have done more research on Cundiff.

Same with the 49ers...I overlooked the fact that their return man was a rookie. You never know how a rookie will respond in the glare and pressure in a big game, and SF Kyle Williams had a DISASTER of a game. In fact, his mistakes were much more costly than Cundiff's. Williams' miscues led to 10 NY Giant points.

I played a little football myself, and one thing you learn early is if you aren't going to catch the punt, back away from the ball and don't let it have a chance of touching you. There was simply NO REASON, NO EXCUSE for Williams to be anywhere NEAR that ball once he decided to let the ball drop(which, given the wet and soggy conditions, was the right decision...you don't take a chance of a fumble). You back away and tell your teammates to back off too.

Both games yesterday ended with the special teams having a large say in the outcome. And it will be the same in the Super Bowl. For all the talk about Brady vs. Eli, the Patriots trio of receivers vs. the Giants trio, the game could turn on how well a team's punter does of pinning the other team down in their own territory. Or which kicker has ice-water in his veins.

2. Baltimore's loss isn't all on Cundiff.

Yeah, Cundiff shanked a chip shot field goal. But that kick merely would have TIED the game and sent it into Overtime. There was no guarantee that Baltimore would have won the game in OT.

Joe Flacco outplayed Tom Brady yesterday...they both were 22-36, but Flacco threw for more yards and touchdowns. That said, Baltimore left some points out on the field yesterday...points that wouldn't have necessitated a last-second field goal to tie. Whether it was Cameron's play-calling or Flacco's decision making, a couple of times the Ravens got the ball in great field position only to fail to score. Think of the Woodhead fumble on the kickoff...if Baltimore scores a TD there, the momentum is all Ravens.

There were also some throws, especially on third down, that were off...and that one bomb to a wide open receiver. Actually, that looked like it was more the mistake of the receiver.

But in the end, if Lee Evans holds onto the ball, none of this matters and Cundiff isn't even an issue. Evans broke the number one rule when you're a receiver...secure the ball immediately upon catching BEFORE you even think of doing anything else.

Actually, Evans was ALREADY in the end zone when he caught the ball...there was NO NEED for him to turn and take his eyes off the ball AND the Patriot DB. Just catch and hold on tight with both arms. Touchdown Ravens. Game over.

That was worse than Cundiff missing the field goal, in my opinion. That was a game-winning touchdown Evans blew as opposed to a game-tying kick.

3. Tom Coughlin.

Gotta give it up for Giants coach Tom Coughlin. How many times has he weathered the "Fire Coughlin" chants from disgruntled Giants fans? And you know what? Next season, after the Giants lose a couple games in a row, the boo-birds and "Fire Coughlin" chants will be out again.

But, shit, even more than Tebow, ALL THIS GUY DOES IS WIN! In fact, how is it that Tom Coughlin has WON a Super Bowl and is now going to his second, and still gets grief from fans and press alike, while Andy Reid seemingly gets a free pass from Philadelphia.

Whenever the media and NFL-types are discussing coaches, Andy Reid is consistently rated higher than Coughlin. That's bullshit. Reid is one of the most overrated coaches ever. He's done less with more than any other coach this side of Norv Turner and Marty Schottenheimer.

Just the way he wasted the prime of Brian Westbrook's career because of his man-crush on McNabb should have gotten Andy Reid fired ages ago, but apparently he's sacrosanct in Philadelphia. Even this season's debacle wasn't enough.

Meanwhile, Coughlin has out-coached and won more than not only his counterpart with the Eagles but the star-studded Dallas Cowboys, too. Yet he's always on the hot-seat compared to the other coaches.

4. Eli Manning.

The guy took a pounding yesterday...a POUNDING...yet never flinched. He just kept getting back up and slinging that ball. He dropped back a total of 64 times(58 pass attempts and 6 sacks) and threw 0 - ZERO! - interceptions!!! Compared to Brady, who threw two picks.

Granted, there could have been two interceptions by the 49ers, except they kept bumping into each other.

But I'm going to say this right now...my estimation of Eli Manning is higher than Peyton Manning right now. I think Eli can outplay Brady in the Super Bowl, too.

My favourite image from yesterday's game might have been when after a play when Manning completed a pass when getting knocked to the ground yet again, he gets up and his shoulder pads are out and his helmet is sideways and his mouthpiece is stuffed with grass and up by his nose...and he has the presence of mind to ignore all that and immediately call timeout.

Many people will still say Eli doesn't belong in Peyton's or Brady's class...but I won't be one of them. As far as I'm concerned, Little Brother has moved out of the shadow of Big Brother.

5. Ed Reed.

The greatest safety I've seen in my lifetime is Ronnie Lott. While Lott is still #1, Ed Reed at least has entered the conversation. You might as well change Ed Reed's name to HOF, because he's a lock for the Hall of Fame. The Hall should just start clearing space for his bust right now.

In fact, he should be a unanimous first-ballot selection, and ANY voter that doesn't vote for Ed Reed should be removed immediately from the voting committee!

That's all for now...we have two weeks to discuss the upcoming matchups. My early instinct is to take the Giants.

Strider: "Many people will still say Eli doesn't belong in Peyton's or Brady's class...but I won't be one of them. As far as I'm concerned, Little Brother has moved out of the shadow of Big Brother."

Absolutely and without a doubt in my mind he has. He got beat up yesterday and the kid never flinched. He's elevated himsellf into the elite class of NFL QB's.

While we're at it, if the Giants win the upcoming SB that'll make the score Eli 2 and Brady 0..........more to ponder over there if it happens.

You are correct about Cundiff, it shouldn't have come down to a final kick, just to tie - but a 32-yarder missed that badly!! :blink:

Also, Williams' dad says the punt returner might have suffered a separated shoulder in the 3rd quarter....nice excuse! His brain must have also separated from its stem when he got THAT close to a bouncing punt!

Strider. Why in the hell was that "non catch" by Evans not reviewed? That damn ball was caught and then ripped out. If you catch it in the end zone its a fuckiing TOUCHDOWN!!!! I still say its was a TD and Baltimore was robbed. To Walter, the Patriots secondary is a joke.. Manning is going to eat them for breakfast. The only way New England can stay in the game is by matching them offensively agaisnt a defense that has played very well of late. This will be the last time we see Brady and Belechek getting the undeserved spotlight. The are going down and going down big time. Rolled. Pummeled. Embarrased. You hear me? Get ready to be exposed. If Baltimore had won we would have had a better game. Or SF. The Giants will prove too much for New England. Welker and the polish tight end with no wide outs are going to get it done? Haahahaha. Joke. I do not like either team. I could care less. So I am looking at it with an unbiased eye. And I see no way New England can match the Giants. Just hammer the shit out of that little shit Welker and turn out the lights.

Strider. Why in the hell was that "non catch" by Evans not reviewed? That damn ball was caught and then ripped out. If you catch it in the end zone its a fuckiing TOUCHDOWN!!!! I still say its was a TD and Baltimore was robbed. To Walter, the Patriots secondary is a joke.. Manning is going to eat them for breakfast. The only way New England can stay in the game is by matching them offensively agaisnt a defense that has played very well of late. This will be the last time we see Brady and Belechek getting the undeserved spotlight. The are going down and going down big time. Rolled. Pummeled. Embarrased. You hear me? Get ready to be exposed. If Baltimore had won we would have had a better game. Or SF. The Giants will prove too much for New England. Welker and the polish tight end with no wide outs are going to get it done? Haahahaha. Joke. I do not like either team. I could care less. So I am looking at it with an unbiased eye. And I see no way New England can match the Giants. Just hammer the shit out of that little shit Welker and turn out the lights.

You sound biased to me... Admit it .... You love the Patriots almost as much as you love The Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins. :)

You sound biased to me... Admit it .... You love the Patriots almost as much as you love The Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins. :)

Of course he is! He talks the same sh!t every year before the season begins about how great the Bills will be. Remember when they got TO a couple of years ago....Rick was out of control! Then again, when is he not.....;)

You're on the record, lets see what happens......I could care less who wins actually! It'll be interesting to see all of the crazy bets that you guys place.

I dislike both teams equally. I do not hate them like I hate Miami. I do not like either and do not care but I am looking at it from a totally unbiased standpoint for once. I am saying the Giants are better than NE. So too were Baltimore and /SF. They did not get one holding call in the whole game N/E. Now you tell me they dont go out of their way to get Brady and Belechek the edge? Get real. Wake up. Smell the coffee.

This years season was FULL of unexpected upsets, turnouts, and surprises. Who would have thought that this would be the match-up in the SB?? No Green Bay, no Saints, etc. I wouldn't have guessed it.

I hope the Saints build on Defense in the "off season". That's been their weakest area for the last two years, which I believe ultimately led to their losses in the last two playoff rounds back to back. (Last year, they were just unhealthy at that point-and just got beat-period) They need some good cornerbacks, and a few guys up the middle on D. Offense is fine-as good as it can get. I hear all this talk about how SF should have won the game, (against The Giants) but the fumble/turnover cost them the game. Well, I don't know about that... The Giants came to play, and play they did. What about the Saints / SF game? 5 turnovers!! 5!! And they only lost by 4 measly points. That goes to show you that as good as SF's defense is, the Saints offense are better. They played catch up the whole game after being down 17-0. And they still gained the lead, the one and only time with 1 minute 1/2 left in the game. Also goes to prove that it is "any given Sunday"..or Saturday in this matter. Anyway, better luck for The Saints next year, they deserve it and are as good as anyone in the game-just a matter of playing your best when it counts the most, and unfortunately-this didn't happen. I'll pull for the Giants over NE, only because I never cared for Brady a whole lot. Doubt I'll even watch the thing....Here's to next year :smiley_pray::drinks:

Archived