Jimmy Page best tone on record

Athel

Jimmy Page has the nastiest tone around. On recordings he has broken boundaries and set standards beyond anybody else. In my opinion the most incredible tone and the most groundbreaking sound I've heard is the distortion on Black Dog. The rhythm tone is so fuzzy and whiny. Not only is that kickin but the solo tone is unique. Jimmy is the man when it comes to guitar tone and there are many other songs that deserve recognition as well. What's your favorite?

ATHEL

Lets see...

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (Middle electric guitar - Danelectro with Supro)

Good Times, Bad Times Solo (Telecaster with Leslie speaker)

Black Dog (The phased rhythm guitars (also on The Only One) + The solo with the Les Paul and Leslie

Starway to Heaven Solo - Telecaster w/Supro

When The Levee Breaks

Ten Years Gone (The Guitar Army)

Achilles Last Stand (includes phase pedal)

Hots On for Nowhere (The nasally two pickup sound ala Peter Green ((Thanks to the Push Pull Pots)) )

I'm Gonna Crawl Solo - Killer

Pride and Joy (From Coverdale/Page)

Good Times Bad Times

You Shook Me

Communication Breakdown

Whole Lotta Love

Since I've Been Loving You

Black Dog

Stairway To Heaven

No Quarter

Ten Years Gone

Achilles Last Stand

Tea For One

I'm Gonna Crawl

I would say almost everything but these are some of my favourite.

I like the tones on Carouselambra. The 12 string part in the middle sounds like clear rain falling. He also plays 2 chords later in the song that sounds incredibly atmospheric (the part with "I couldn't stand it another day", or something that sounds like that).

He has great sound on the solo to South Bound Saurez. It is squeezed very tightly!

The sound he gets on the shimmering main chords to Tinker Tailor with the Yardbirds is great. The acoustic on Only the Black Rose is wonderful.

The end of Cadillac by The Firm is a great guitar sound.

This is in my honest opinion.

Studio:

Black Dog

No Quarter

Misty Mountain Hop

Whole Lotta Love

Communication Breakdown

Heartbreaker

Live:

Knebworth '79/Royal Albert Hall/Earl's Court etc.

Kashmir

Over the Hills & Far Away

Whole Lotta Love

Rock & Roll

Heartbreaker

Many more that I can think of but no time...:P

That riff is amazing :o *Blown Away.."

Thanks for sharing!

I actually don't mind that break that happens twice in the song, 1st for the solo, which surprsingly to me has some nice tone, and 2nd for the part with the Kashmir rehash. Not the only rehash from those sessions, but it works nicely in that song. The rest of the song has that crunch tone he used on that CD, which I find somewhat limited and boring, but I would put even that ahead of most of the CP album, it has a looseness that I find lacking on most of the CD. There you go. I haven't hidden my dislike of the CP album in other posts, but I actually offered some real praise for some of it!

• 2 weeks later...

You all forgot the beautifull country-ish crunch from Hot Dog, the semi-clean form White Summer- Black Mountain Side, the great vintage high gain from The Ocean and the coolest 2 riffs EVER Kashmir, and In The Light.

me too B)

it immediately popped in my head as soon as I saw the thread title.

Jimmy's tone on the first album especially is excellent. When compared to his tone on the other albums, I would say that the tone he used on Led Zeppelin I is my favorite (in terms fo the parts using distortion). Come to think of it, I think John Paul Jones' tone is at its best on that album as well.

Jimmy's tone on the first album especially is excellent. When compared to his tone on the other albums, I would say that the tone he used on Led Zeppelin I is my favorite (in terms fo the parts using distortion). Come to think of it, I think John Paul Jones' tone is at its best on that album as well.

The Telecaster

• 2 weeks later...

I would vote for the guitar solo tones in In My Time of Dying.

There's a moment as the solos start where the tone shifts from the cleaner sounds to the semi distorted solo tone that its sublime!

Live, I'm a bit of a stickler for the early shows, and the deep crunchy blues sound of the Telecaster would be at the top of the list for live tones.

Archived