ROBERT PLANT SAYS AVOIDING LED ZEPPELIN REUNION KEY TO HIS RECENT SUCCESS

Robert-Plant.jpg

Kevin Winter, Getty Images

If Robert Plant were to run into his 25-year-old self, he says he’d tell that young man to take as many chances and risks as he can. “Because if you’re just a singer for the sake of it, it’s not quite enough.”

In an interview with GQ, the one-time Led Zeppelin singer says he appreciates advice, but he’ll stick with his own off-beat path. “I’ve been advised by everybody. Everybody’s got something to tell you. Most people have told me to do the obvious thing as far as my career goes. Which would have sent me tottering into the abyss.”

The reason his career has continued into a sixth decade, he says, is because he never stopped pushing himself to learn. He never settled. “The thing is, how much do people really want to learn? I mean, some people get into a groove and they stay with it indefinitely. And what starts off as a great moment of explosive passion can end up as cabaret 25, 30 years later. It just depends on whether you go and find the right habitat to extend yourself.”

If you’re hoping for a Zeppelin reunion, stop. “I think that’s gone now,” Plant says matter-of-factly. He holds no hard feelings toward his bandmates however. In fact he admits he’s just getting over insecurities he’s had for 30 years. “I’m playing a lot of acoustic guitar now, which is something I didn’t dare do in the ’70s. I couldn’t look at a guitar without blanching because I was with one of the most spectacular guitar players of the late twentieth century.”

Plant has been “looking for clues” in Austin, Texas recently. He’s recording with yet another new band and hismaybe-wife Patty Griffin. He’s writing, and playing unusual instruments and collaborating with artists from different cultures. Mostly he’s pushing away from the idea of becoming a rock cliche that is honored for what’s he done instead of what he’s doing. “And I think it’s not supposed to go on forever. It would be wonderful if it did.”

pfft.

If he rejoined Led Zeppelin for a bit and the band got even more known to the current world audience his name would absolutely soar up.

Firstly, I fully support Robert's right to do what he wants with his own career - and your statement here is just impossible to prove, as it isn't gonna happen.

But regarding the article you have posted - I've read this interview in its full-length version and Robert doesn't actually say the words they have used to 'spin' this title. It's just more shit-stirring by the media and sadly you have just proven that people will buy into it. No offence intended, but its so unfair on him. It's a really nice article with no disrespect to anyone and lovely pictures where he looks more at peace than he has for years, and the media have to try to throw a bit more Zepp controversy in there AGAIN. It's the old "Robert Plant says something offensive about Led Zeppelin - the band who made him! Cue fans in uproar" bollox yet again.

Well the news is, he didn't even say that.

Thank you for the link to that article. That is one of the better ones I've read on Mr. Plant in recent years and he seems to have found a peace and happiness with the place he is now. It's great to see someone of his stature still searching for clues.

Who could blame RP if he did say something 'Offensive' , he must get fed up with being constantly called 'The former lead singer of Led Zeppelin', he has moved on, he has gone on to do plenty more in his own right, with a voice like he has, he would have made it in the Music Industry anyway.

Good on him for having the' Balls' to explore new musical directions and still go out and Tour.

Why anybody takes any notice of what the Media have to say is beyond me, I always take it with a pinch of salt.

I think Plants solo career sucks... I like his first two albums. After that I cant say anything good about him or his music... His refusal to do a reunion is disappointing. I mean the Page/Plant thing was a reunion but it was cheesy, acoustic, and there was no JPJ.... Hes still around because he was the singer of Zep.... Not because his new music is good.. And the band he plays in, disgraceful. Pure letdown, Id walk out if I went to one of he concerts today...

P.S. I saw his first solo tour with Phil Collins on drums which was a fantastic show... Manic Nirvana was the beginning of the cheese... Today, sadly he thinks hes on the right path... Im sorry but his new shows are a rip off!!! Stop ripping off the fans of Zep, and play some fucking music whiteboy!

Great article. I read this a few days ago. Robert is very open when talking about his career and the decisions and choices he has made. Especially, over the last few years and feels at peace with this. He has nothing against Led Zeppelin. I just think he wants to keep challenging himself musically and that is what his career allows him to do with the direction he has taken. He also would not want to deal with the media frenzy and scrutinizing (just to start off) a more than just one off reunion would bring.

I think Plants solo career sucks... I like his first two albums. After that I cant say anything good about him or his music... His refusal to do a reunion is disappointing. I mean the Page/Plant thing was a reunion but it was cheesy, acoustic, and there was no JPJ.... Hes still around because he was the singer of Zep.... Not because his new music is good.. And the band he plays in, disgraceful. Pure letdown, Id walk out if I went to one of he concerts today...

P.S. I saw his first solo tour with Phil Collins on drums which was a fantastic show... Manic Nirvana was the beginning of the cheese... Today, sadly he thinks hes on the right path... Im sorry but his new shows are a rip off!!! Stop ripping off the fans of Zep, and play some fucking music whiteboy!

Your gonna get a whole lotta of stick from people for saying that but AMEN.

I think Plants solo career sucks... I like his first two albums. After that I cant say anything good about him or his music... His refusal to do a reunion is disappointing. I mean the Page/Plant thing was a reunion but it was cheesy, acoustic, and there was no JPJ....

"Cheesy"? In what way? If anything, it was a return to the roots of Zeppelin with the use of the Middle Eastern instrumentation. As for it being acoustic, yes, a great deal of it was but at least 1/3 of Zeppelin's back catalog is acoustic based. There were also plenty of electric moments during the Page and Plant concerts. I also wouldn't call it a "reunion" because it wasn't. Even though it was a lot of songs that Zep did, at least they rearranged them to make the tunes not only exciting for them to play but for their audience to listen to. Thank goodness it wasn't simply a retread of what Zeppelin had done in the past.

Hes still around because he was the singer of Zep.... Not because his new music is good.. And the band he plays in, disgraceful. Pure letdown, Id walk out if I went to one of he concerts today...

By your own admission, you know full well what you'd be getting into if you went to one of his concerts today so why go only to walk out? As for his current band being "disgraceful", The Band of Joy is a virtual who's who of some of the very best musicians out there that are also well known performers in their own right.

Robert Plant isn't ripping off anyone. It sounds more like he's not meeting your expectations of what you think he should be doing. He's doing nothing any different than what Led Zeppelin ever did and that is challenging his audience. Sounds like you have a lot of growing up to do. He's made it abundantly clear that Zeppelin is a part of his past. Rather than whining about it, the best thing you can do at this point is accept his current musical direction. It doesn't mean you have to like it but longing for him to revisit his past isn't going to change anything.

If Pagey got up and made some records they would be twice as good as Percy's.

That's a matter of opinion. I'm not of a Page versus Plant mentality but I would love to see him do something, anything, new. The more time passes, the more I believe that may never happen. Hopefully, he'll surprise us all. Inevitability, folks like yourself who bare a grudge against Plant will compare whatever Page does to Plant's solo work and to what Zeppelin did as a band but to me, that's not the point in music. I would like to listen to it and form my thoughts on it based on it's own terms.

^ Well my respect for you just plummeted after reading this thread. I haven't been a big fan of a lot of Robert's solo stuff but I applaud him for not giving into close minded Zeppelin fans and the media, as well as the ridiculous amounts of money that would have been thrown at him during the years in the hope of enticing him to play with JP and JPJ.

As much as I love Jimmy and his guitar playing he hasn't done anything of note in years (exlcuding the O2). It seems with him it's Zeppelin or nothing. I think he took the disbandment of the band the hardest and has not been able to move on fully even in the year 2011.

As for your comment about if Jimmy put out records they would be way better than Roberts, its ludicrous. What do you base this on exactly? Outrider? It's a pretty mediocre album imo, has a couple of great tracks but you can't say that for the rest of the album. On the other hand, Roberts stuff with the Strange Sensation is some of the best music I've heard in recent years.

Edit: This post is mostly aimed at 'The StairwayRemainsTheSame'.

Archived