BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I celebrated the wrong holiday, oops! ;)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hey, it's all good in the land of Zep.

Zucchini casserole from a tasty recipe a friend provided, using some zucchs I picked up at the farmers market over the weekend, and a bottle of 2012 Catena 'Alamos' Malbec wine.

This weekend was a real foodie trip.

Friday I kicked off with some Tandoori chicken and a Shaktori Bangladeshi curry which i had frozen from a while back. Served with Roti.

Saturday I made a Penang Curry Paste. This hot little beauty was heavy on the peanut. Coconut milk was simmered and the paste added. Chuck steak, Kaffir lime leaves, chillies, and more peanuts made a fantastic creamy curry.I also made a Tom Yum prawn soup. This wonderful aromatic taste of Thailand is a CP favourite. Hot and sour from Tamarind this is the king of soups. Served with rice. I froze what was left for later usage.

Sunday was a Lamb shank and a sticky mint glaze. Fat and tasty this was served with roast pots flavoured with garlic and sour cream and a medley of seasonal veg.

Wines: a superb Argentian Malbec and a Rioja Reserva for the reds and a white from South Africa.

If any one would like any recipe for the pastes please let me know

Penang...Panang...Phanaeng...let's call the whole thing off, hehe. ;)

Sounds yummy CP...and I see you're a 'Penang' guy. I guess that makes me a 'Panang' guy, as that's how I usually see it spelled on the Thai menus.

Do you get good prawns in your neck of the woods?

Some of the culinary delights on my birthday. 2015 is the 30th anniversary of my returning from Europe and residing in Los Angeles for the first time. So I revisited a few of the places where I had my first visits as a L.A. resident in 1985.

Birthday breakfast at the Original Pantry...they never close! Ham & cheese omelette, golden hash browns, sourdough toast, coffee and water.

post-1470-0-08808400-1438325499_thumb.jp

Birthday dinner at The Gardens of Taxco, where I had the same dinner I had in my first visit in 1985...Shrimp in hot garlic sauce, or as titled on the menu, Salsa de Ajo Picante. With a carafe of Sangria and a glass of Sherry to top off the meal.

Dessert came later in the evening, after a show. Instead of birthday cake, I had birthday cheesecake...Strawberry cheesecake and cafe latte.

Then it was bar-hopping time...first beers and scotch at the Frolic Room. Then it was over to the Tiki Ti, for more tropical libations.

post-1470-0-43675800-1438325787_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-68808700-1438325833_thumb.jp

Breakfast the morning after...Blueberry Brioche and Green Eggs & Ham on toasted English Muffins. Lots and lots of water and orange juice.

post-1470-0-51925000-1438326202_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-69130600-1438326252_thumb.jp

Salmon. I was going to have swordfish but changed my mind. Halibut is my favorite but its crazy now. Costs more than Lobster. While in Baltimore, Esther (EBK) introduced us to a fabulous restaurant that we loved. Sabo Cafe in Federal Hill. Just fabulous. It was restaurant week so they had specials all over town. Also ate at a place called Phillips. The Hard Rock Cafe was a bit disappointing. The one in Orlando I preferred

Well, the chips were just a snack--now I've moved on to Publix crab legs. They were on sale here, don't know if all of Florida has 'em on sale, so Walter if you're reading you may want to take a trip to Publix....

B)

Tanner Crab Legs??? Yes, I've had them and LOVED 'em! They are on sale here too, but we are on a weekend outing at a Marriott resort right now. Hope all is well with you, Paul!

:peace:

^^^ Splendid, Strider! Looks like this was a very special birthday, lots to celebrate!!

And that Blueberry Brioche looks killer!!

:)

Here is the recipe, Ddladner. I did not even know about the Huckleberry restaurant until I saw their cookbook that was published last year. That is where this recipe comes from.

Huckleberry_Fresh-Blueberry-Brioche-Phot

Fresh Blueberry Brioche

Makes 1 Loaf

1 1/2 cups/225 g fresh blueberries

2 tbsp whole milk

1 tbsp active dry yeast

1 cup + 2 tbsp/280 g all-purpose flour

1 cup + 2 tbsp/280 g bread flour

6 1/2 tbsp/80 g sugar, plus more for sprinkling

1 tsp kosher salt

3 eggs

1 egg yolk

1/2 cup + 2 tbsp/140 g unsalted butter, very soft

1 batch Egg Wash (whisk 2 egg yolks + 2 tbsp heavy cream + pinch of salt)

Day One

1. Place the fresh blueberries on a plate and freeze in a single layer. Do not use frozen blueberries, as they are too watery.

2. Slightly warm the milk and pour into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Add the yeast and whisk by hand to combine. Add the all-purpose flour, bread flour, 21/2 tbsp of the sugar, the salt, eggs, and egg yolk to the bowl. Mix on low speed until the dough comes together,1 to 2 minutes.

3. Increase the mixer speed to medium-low and work the dough for 6 minutes. Pause every minute to push the dough back down into the bowl and off the hook until it pulls off the sides and looks like a strong bread dough.

4. Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the butter, a little at a time, over the course of 2 minutes. After 1 minute, pause to scrape down the bowl and hook. When the butter begins to blend in, increase the mixer speed to medium-high to fully incorporate the butter and bring the dough back together, 5 to 6 minutes longer.

5. Dump the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and press into a 16-by-10-in/40-by-25-cm rectangle. It does not need to be exact. Position the dough vertically, with a short side nearest you; distrib-ute the blueberries and 2 tbsp of the sugar along the top edge and gently roll down, toward you, into a log.

6. Place the log on a greased sheet pan, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or preferably overnight.

Day Two

7. Grease a 9-by-5-in/23-by-12-cm loaf pan. Reshape the dough one last time by pressing it into an approximate 12-by-6-in/30.5-by-15-cm rectangle and cover with the remaining 2 tbsp of sugar. With the dough positioned vertically, roll down toward you, tightly this time.

8. Place into the greased loaf pan, loosely wrap in plastic, and allow to rise in a warm place until more than doubled in size, about 3 hours.

9. As the brioche nears readiness, preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C. Carefully brush the dough with the egg wash, making sure the egg doesn’t pool around the edges. Liberally sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes in the pan. Then transfer to a cooling rack.

This keeps, wrapped well, at room temperature, for up to 3 days, but who are we kidding, it will be lucky to survive 3 minutes out of the oven.

Edited by Strider