BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

I think this recipe is a keeper, although my expert taster (son) wants me to use dusting sugar and bake slightly longer for a crispier top. I have never heard of clotted cream (and will try not to judge the unappetizing name in light of the previous discussion regarding grits :P). Had to google it and discovered that it is hard to find in the U.S. I'm certain I'm missing out on a delicious addition to the scones.

Your meal sounds lovely! Hope I will see your review of the show on another thread.

:)

Your wish is my command. Review duly posted.

Not sure how many English grocers you have in your town but that's a good place to find clotted cream. I am blessed with a plethora of English-centric shoppes in L.A. But I have occasionally seen clotted cream sold in Whole Foods from time to time, so maybe that's an option for you.

You could also try looking for Devonshire cream or Crème Fraîche.

Edited by Strider

Your wish is my command. Review duly posted.

Not sure how many English grocers you have in your town but that's a good place to find clotted cream. I am blessed with a plethora of English-centric shoppes in L.A. But I have occasionally seen clotted cream sold in Whole Foods from time to time, so maybe that's an option for you.

You could also try looking for Devonshire cream or Crème Fraîche.

Thanks, Strider. To summarize our local grocery store options, we are lucky to have basic ingredients. :(

I'll check whole foods when I'm in New Orleans.

I think this recipe is a keeper, although my expert taster (son) wants me to use dusting sugar and bake slightly longer for a crispier top. I have never heard of clotted cream (and will try not to judge the unappetizing name in light of the previous discussion regarding grits :P). Had to google it and discovered that it is hard to find in the U.S. I'm certain I'm missing out on a delicious addition to the scones.

Your meal sounds lovely! Hope I will see your review of the show on another thread.

:)

Clotted cream is made for Scones. It is a thick yellow cream made almost exclusively in Devon and Cornwall in Southwest England. I think they may have an appellation controlee type of thing for it. You can't eat a lot of it as it is super rich and it certainly can't be used for sauces. I remember a few years ago The CP's were on holiday in North Devon. We stopped in a quaint cafe and scored a true Devonshire Cream Tea. A scone of epic proportions ( a small one in the US I'm sure) Strawberry Jam and a ramekin of gooey clotted cream. Served with a China pot of tea with cups and saucers. Needless to say I felt like Billy Bunter and didn't eat for a few hours. Marvellous

Chicken & kale Caesar salad with no croutons, it was kind of depressing. I sat in the restaurant watched people eat great lunches and I was making sure to be healthy. Fuck it sucks sometimes.

'Healthy' and 'great' need not be mutually exclusive.

....with a glass of water? ;)

A tall glass of water.

:Thinking: The plan has changed. Mrs CP and I are going to take in 9 holes when she gets home then, fuck it, Scampi, salad, fries, potato salad and extra mayonnaise. With a tall glass of wine (or 2) and a fat one with my Cali orange. Sorry Chalks, but then again I'm no fan of croutons either ^_^

Clotted cream is made for Scones. It is a thick yellow cream made almost exclusively in Devon and Cornwall in Southwest England. I think they may have an appellation controlee type of thing for it. You can't eat a lot of it as it is super rich and it certainly can't be used for sauces. I remember a few years ago The CP's were on holiday in North Devon. We stopped in a quaint cafe and scored a true Devonshire Cream Tea. A scone of epic proportions ( a small one in the US I'm sure) Strawberry Jam and a ramekin of gooey clotted cream. Served with a China pot of tea with cups and saucers. Needless to say I felt like Billy Bunter and didn't eat for a few hours. Marvellous

I understand that you can make it yourself, although it looks like a bit of trouble. From looking at pics, it does look very rich, and the scones that it is pictured with usually look small and round. My scones turned out a little larger than I would like, will make them a bit smaller on the next batch. I'll have to forego the clotted cream for now, maybe one day I'll be in Devon or Cornwall and get the real deal. :)

New concession stand at Nats Park this season - biscuit sandwiches! I had the chicken biscuit with pickle slices and spicy sauce, with a side of really crunchy homemade chips. Fabulous!!

Slow smoked, dry rub, beef ribs, with pulled pork, smoked corn, southern style potato salad, and Mac & cheese. All from one of our favorite bbq places - Captain's Bait & BBQ in Palm Coast. They sell out daily by 5:00, so we had to leave the beach early. Looks like a good potential for a great sunset! :)

Anyone know Fuddruckers? Had a Bison chipotle pepper burger there today for lunch. Added jalapeños for extra pep. Bison is very lean. Crispy onion rings on the side. The Oreo milkshake was nice and thick, so that put the cherry on a yummy lunch. Tall glass of water to help wash it down and cleanse the palate.

post-1470-0-28940400-1433752751_thumb.jp

10 hours later...S is for Sunday Spaghetti dinner.

post-1470-0-01268200-1433752984_thumb.jp

Spending Sunday gnawing on bones.

BBQ Ribs, Texas-style with spicy BBQ sauce. Baked beans and mac 'n' cheese. Bread to sop up the extra sauce. Sam Adams and Kulmbacher Hefeweizen to wash it down. With the demise of a couple other joints, this is now my favourite BBQ place in Los Angeles...and much more convenient to get to than Dr. Hogly Wogly's Tyler Texas BBQ out in the valley.

When in L.A. and hankering for some Que, hit the Spring Street Smoke House in Chinatown. Loads of great beer choices on tap, too!

post-1470-0-13797900-1434327640_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-26769400-1434327677_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-41387200-1434327730_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-41513000-1434327762_thumb.jp

Edited by Strider

Hi, jabe, that's cool! I used to work a lot in Bham, and we always had bbq catered for lunch meetings. Had Jim 'N Nicks many times, also Miss Myra's (my first introduction to white sauce for bbq), and Full Moon (first introduction to chow-chow, which is super yummy with bbq).