BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Greek tonight. First a selection of spreads with pita - eggplant, hummus, tzatziki, and caviar (my fave!), then a plate of lemon roasted potatoes, green bean, red peppers and feta. Entree for me was baked stuffed eggplant - stuffed with a ground lamb concoction - sooooo good! We had a pitcher of sangria with it.

I will never eat again.

Famous last words. ;)

First run of wild sockeye salmon finally here! Baked whole and served with egg and parsley sauce, garlic mashed potatoes and new baby beets with their greens.

As a beet lover I heartily give a big thumbs up! :thumbsup:

This morning, some of Mrs. Walter's delicious homemade banana bread and a cup of coffee with my favorite coconut milk hazelnut creamer. Mmmmmmmm. :)

If she's making bread, does that portend Mrs. Walter is doing better? I hope so.

My Birthday Burger yesterday...ground sirloin/chuck blend, cooled medium-rare, Monterey jack cheese, bacon, sliced red onions, lettuce, avocado, tabasco sauce, mustard, thousand island, toasted bun. With onion rings and...wait for it CJW...several large glasses of water. Did an extra hard run this morning for penance, hehe.

post-1470-0-81450300-1406791082_thumb.jp

My Birthday Burger yesterday...ground sirloin/chuck blend, cooled medium-rare, Monterey jack cheese, bacon, sliced red onions, lettuce, avocado, tabasco sauce, mustard, thousand island, toasted bun. With onion rings and...wait for it CJW...several large glasses of water. Did an extra hard run this morning for penance, hehe.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140730_151100.jpg

Gulp ! That would last me a week !

A dippy egg this morning avec soldiers. Tall glass of breakfast juice ( Orange, mango, grapefruit). Toast with marmite

Gulp ! That would last me a week !

A dippy egg this morning avec soldiers. Tall glass of breakfast juice ( Orange, mango, grapefruit). Toast with marmite

That looks amazing! I usually have onion rings with my burgers too, Strider. Btw, Mrs. Walter is doing better, thank you for asking. She's almost finished with the 2nd phase of treatment. :)

My Birthday Burger yesterday...ground sirloin/chuck blend, cooled medium-rare, Monterey jack cheese, bacon, sliced red onions, lettuce, avocado, tabasco sauce, mustard, thousand island, toasted bun. With onion rings and...wait for it CJW...several large glasses of water. Did an extra hard run this morning for penance, hehe.IMG_20140730_151100.jpg

One large glass of homemade strawberry lemonade

May I enquire as to what ratio of strawberries to lemons you use in your strawberry lemonade?

Ok, this one is for all those non-Americans...like CP and CJW...who are always aghast at what Americans eat for breakfast. It was French Toast Friday for me earlier today. Sourdough french toast with Nutella spread between the slices and drizzled on top with whipped cream and powdered sugar. Side of bacon and large glass of water.

post-1470-0-77203500-1406970653_thumb.jp

May I enquire as to what ratio of strawberries to lemons you use in your strawberry lemonade?

Ok, this one is for all those non-Americans...like CP and CJW...who are always aghast at what Americans eat for breakfast. It was French Toast Friday for me earlier today. Sourdough french toast with Nutella spread between the slices and drizzled on top with whipped cream and powdered sugar. Side of bacon and large glass of water.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140801_103205.jpg

Yes I am aghast as always :yesnod: Breakfast today: A poached egg on granary toast. Tall glass of breakfast juice and some yogurt with white flesh nectarine

Berries (straw-, blue-, and black-), an orange, a couple of white peaches, and some carrots...all bounty from my visit to the farmers market yesterday.

CP, I know you love Indian food as much as I and I wanted to share a great recipe for lamb vindaloo that I cooked for a party recently.

Clay Oven's Spicy Habanero Lamb Vindaloo

1 large or 2 small habanero chiles, seeded and chopped

2 tablespoons vinegar

1 (2-inch) piece of fresh ginger, minced

8 cloves garlic, minced

2 cups water, divided, plus more for grinding the ginger and garlic and thinning the gravy if needed

2 tomatoes, finely chopped

1/4 cup grated coconut

1/4 cup rice bran or canola oil, divided

4 bay leaves

8 black peppercorns

1 cinnamon stick

4 cloves

1 teaspoon cumin seeds

2 pods green cardamom, smashed

3 white onions, finely chopped

1 whole dry red Kashmiri chile

1 tablespoon coriander powder

1 teaspoon turmeric

2 pounds lean lamb, cut into roughly 1-inch cubes

salt to taste

1 tablespoon cumin powder

8 (1 inch ) cubes boiled, peeled potato

2 tomatoes, cut into quarters

1/4 cup chopped cilantro, divided

Step 1

Soak the seeded, chopped chile in the vinegar for a few minutes to soften, then grind to a paste (a mortar and pestle work well for this). Grind the ginger and garlic as well to a paste, adding a little water if needed to soften. Finally, use a blender to purée the finely chopped tomatoes and coconut together with 1 cup of the water.

Step 2

In a large, heavy-bottomed sauté pan, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil over high heat until hot. Add the bay leaves, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, cloves, cumin seeds and cardamom, and toast for a minute or so, just until aromatic, being careful not to burn the spices. Stir in the onions, then the ginger and garlic paste, the Kashmiri chile, coriander powder and turmeric. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes. If the gravy begins to thicken too much and dry out, and/or the onions begin to stick, stir in water, a little at a time, and continue cooking.

Step 3

Remove the pan from the heat and spoon the spiced onion mixture into a bowl. Place the pan back over high heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the lamb pieces and sear on all sides until well-browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and place the lamb pieces on a plate. Add the spiced onion mixture back to the pan and heat over medium heat, scraping any lamb flavoring from the base of the pan.

Step 4

At this point, taste the mixture, adding salt to taste. Remove the whole spices if desired (the gravy can also be puréed at this point for a smoother consistency). Stir the lamb into the gravy along with the cumin powder and habanero paste. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, to marry the flavors, 2 to 3 minutes, then stir in the puréed tomatoes and coconut. Add the remaining cup of water.

Step 5

Continue cooking until the lamb is fully cooked, an additional 10 to 15 minutes. When the lamb is almost ready, stir in the potatoes and quartered tomatoes, along with one-half of the chopped cilantro. Taste again, seasoning as desired before serving. Serve the vindaloo garnished with the remaining chopped cilantro.

Edited by Strider

That looks mighty fine Sean. Never used Lamb in a Vindaloo. Always Prawn or fish as it is a Goan specialty. It seems to me to be a sort of Goan/South Indian mix because of the use of Coconut. You very rarely see meat in a South Indian dish. In fact Lamb is a main staple in the North due to the Mogul influence. When I get the time I will post a Lamb Rogan Josh recipe that is a killer. In fact I am making it this afternoon for our golf pro who very kindly, and at no cost, fixed a problem I have had with my long irons

I question though the amount of time to cook the lamb. 30 mins in total ? I suppose it's because you used LEAN lamb. I tend to use neck fillets or shoulder so the cooking time is much longer. Like all vindaloos the amount of vinegar is important. I also add Tamarind water to give an extra sourness to the dish. I see you also use Bay leaves. These are not the bay we get in the west of course. Indian bay is a bit cinnamon like in taste and a bastard to get hold of. In fact it is the only spice i don't have in my larder. I take it it was served with rice on a banana leaf? ;)

Edited by chillumpuffer

a plate of mashed potatoes and corn....

I'm a big fan of mixing corn with mashed potatoes!

Last night made shake n bake pork chops with thick, boneless chops, homemade mashed potatoes, fresh steamed green beans, and sweet corn for Mrs. Walter after a long Monday for her. It was a great choice as it rained a lot from Bertha here in central Florida last night.

HAHAHHAHA - I'm laughing out loud right now and the Mrs told me to pipe down, because it would wake up my son. The bacon and onion rings freak me out, I honestly could never eat that. The burger looked good with the veggie stuff though.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140801_103205.jpg

This was the other one which honestly made me laugh out loud. That must have knocked you out for the day?

By the way, 1 pound of stawberries, 10 lemons, 6 cups of water, 2 cups of real brown sugar, and throw some ice cubes in it!!!

This was the other one which honestly made me laugh out loud. That must have knocked you out for the day?

By the way, 1 pound of stawberries, 10 lemons, 6 cups of water, 2 cups of real brown sugar, and throw some ice cubes in it!!!

Nope. Actually, a half hour later, I went for a brisk swim. Then I worked until well past midnight.

Today, lunch is more goodies picked up from the farmers market. Fresh shaved beets with goat cheese and pecans. Pita chips and red pepper hummus. Green tea with lemon and honey.

Thanks for the lemonade recipe...sounds perfect.

Edited by Strider