BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Dinner this evening is on the BBQ. Fresh Squid which I have marinated in garlic,olive oil and lemon. Sardines which were caught overnight ( not by me) a burger and a green salad and a baguette. Washed down with some wonderful white and red from the Douro region of Portugal. The weather can not be bettered.

You guys won't believe what they've come up with now...a SPAM donut!!! Or, I should say a "Cro-nut"...half croissant, half donut.

post-1470-0-49946800-1409848677_thumb.jp

Don't worry, Charles and CP, I turned away from that Spam monstrosity. Instead, I breakfasted on 4 oz. organic Greek yogurt, topped with local organic granola, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and orange blossom honey. Coffee and tall glasses of water, natch.

post-1470-0-97438900-1409848712_thumb.jp

I'm still hungry though...must resist urge to eat a bagel smeared with cream cheese. Damn Charles...I don't know how you do it.

Like you I am cutting down on wheat...just not doing it cold turkey like you. A little at a time. My curse is that I love fresh bread...both baking it and eating it. One of the joys of the holidays for me is making Sherry Pumpkin bread for my friends.

You guys won't believe what they've come up with now...a SPAM donut!!! Or, I should say a "Cro-nut"...half croissant, half donut.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140818_223453.jpg

Don't worry, Charles and CP, I turned away from that Spam monstrosity. Instead, I breakfasted on 4 oz. organic Greek yogurt, topped with local organic granola, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and orange blossom honey. Coffee and tall glasses of water, natch.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140904_085546.jpg

I'm still hungry though...must resist urge to eat a bagel smeared with cream cheese. Damn Charles...I don't know how you do it.

Like you I am cutting down on wheat...just not doing it cold turkey like you. A little at a time. My curse is that I love fresh bread...both baking it and eating it. One of the joys of the holidays for me is making Sherry Pumpkin bread for my friends.

Strider,

hahahahahhaah, welcome to my world!!!!! I love bread, fresh baked bread is a gift of heaven, but it is also a gift of hell on the belly so I had to walk away from it. Only in America or should I say only in California would I expect to hear about a spam donut, I have not been to LA for a while, but it sure sounds like we are watching Rome...

And yes, it's tough at first, but add spinach to the Greek yogurt and it will fill you for most of the day.

I think I have a follower now with the tall glass of water at every meal!

Strider,

hahahahahhaah, welcome to my world!!!!! I love bread, fresh baked bread is a gift of heaven, but it is also a gift of hell on the belly so I had to walk away from it. Only in America or should I say only in California would I expect to hear about a spam donut, I have not been to LA for a while, but it sure sounds like we are watching Rome...

And yes, it's tough at first, but add spinach to the Greek yogurt and it will fill you for most of the day.

I think I have a follower now with the tall glass of water at every meal!

California is a story of culinary variety, Charles. Sure, the state has contributed its share of junk food innovations...the chili dog, chili fries, and chili burger were popularized here.

But California also has more health nuts than any other state. There are vegan and vegetarian restaurants galore and every morning, an army of young women with yoga mats under their arms make their pilgrimage to their local yoga center.

Alice Waters and her restaurant Chez Panisse revolutionized the restaurant and culinary scene decades ago by her focus on local and seasonal ingredients and getting away from the typical heavy, rich sauces of French cuisine.

As for water, I've been drinking water like a fish for most of my life. Don't mistake my occasional ribbing of your water intake as me being anti-water. I'm just not as fastidious about listing my intake as you. But I drink at least a gallon a day.

As a foodie, I am particular about what I drink with my meals and I find that, with the exception of a burger or a slice of pizza, I don't like drinking sodas/cokes/carbonated beverages with my food. I prefer water, tea, coffee, juice, beer, or wine.

Actually, Los Angeles is where the water craze took root. That's what Robert Altman was satirizing with the Griffin Mill character in "The Player".

^^ Hey Charles, not offended at all. As far as my diet, I like to think that I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables to balance out all the meat & fast food, plus I get regular checkups from the doctor & everything checks out okay--so, as long as I keep getting a good report from my physician, I'm not worried about my food intake...

If you remember the documentary "Supersize Me", Morgan discovered a guy who ate at McDonald's every day, all day...breakfast, lunch, dinner...and was in perfect shape. I think the catch was that he walked to and from his local McDonald's, so he was getting exercise. That's the key...you can eat junk food and still be fine as long as you're burning off the calories.

I'm doing laundry and having a bowl of Captain Crunch myself this morning. Yeah, I'm an overgrown child. ;)

If you remember the documentary "Supersize Me", Morgan discovered a guy who ate at McDonald's every day, all day...breakfast, lunch, dinner...and was in perfect shape. I think the catch was that he walked to and from his local McDonald's, so he was getting exercise. That's the key...you can eat junk food and still be fine as long as you're burning off the calories.

I'm doing laundry and having a bowl of Captain Crunch myself this morning. Yeah, I'm an overgrown child. ;)

Maybe the salads and fruit and so on, but you can't eat French fries which have been fried in oil every day because at some point your blood pressure is going to rise, all of the exercise in the world is not going to remove the plaque that is going to build up in your arteries. Furthermore, the bread intake from the “buns” they serve on their burgers is loaded with sodium and the gluten in them will drive your blood sugar levels up and hence fuck with your insulin levels.

Last night I had a salad

I had salads yesterday, too...didn't feel like eating fried junk while watching football. Strawberries, blueberries, sliced nectarines with quinoa was my early game salad; then for the afternoon game I had a roasted carrots and beets salad with peaches. Abita Purple Haze beer from Louisiana.

I had salads yesterday, too...didn't feel like eating fried junk while watching football. Strawberries, blueberries, sliced nectarines with quinoa was my early game salad; then for the afternoon game I had a roasted carrots and beets salad with peaches. Abita Purple Haze beer from Louisiana.

Last night, for the Cowboys debacle, we had grilled t-bone steaks, sautéed mushrooms, and fresh grilled asparagus - with too many Kraken shots/Coke. Oh well....

I had an amazing dinner tonight with a friend in a restaurant called Tintå here in Turku, Finland. I had Moroccan lamb skewer, including garlic lamb, pistachio and apricot couscous, tomato and red pepper salad, mint youghurt and pita bread, half a bottle of Australian Shiraz, espresso and limoncello-pistachio pannacotta for dessert. All this was 60€, about 77 dollars. In a great company too :-)

I had an amazing dinner tonight with a friend in a restaurant called Tintå here in Turku, Finland. I had Moroccan lamb skewer, including garlic lamb, pistachio and apricot couscous, tomato and red pepper salad, mint youghurt and pita bread, half a bottle of Australian Shiraz, espresso and limoncello-pistachio pannacotta for dessert. All this was 60, about 77 dollars. In a great company too :-)

You've just made me hungry. I was undecided about what to do for dinner but now I think I'll have lamb kabobs.

For dinner, I had a filet mignon steak, a baked potato, fresh corn on the cobb, fresh cut-up oranges for dessert, and lots of water.

The red meat is not a great habit. I try and avoid it Fish to me is better, but I do love Turkey on Thanksgiving. And I do love Lamb Chops and mint jelly but If I have that once a year its alot. As long as you are not eating red meat daily you are likely fine

Dinner at a Middle Eastern restaurant...

Appetizers: Hummus (chick pea dip), Mutabbal (eggplant dip), Muhammara (spicy walnut dip), Sarma (stuffed grape leaves), Tabbuleh salad, pita bread.

Dinner: Shrimp Kebab marinated in lemon, garlic, cilantro, spices...grilled and served with garlic lemon wine sauce. With Mousakka (baked eggplant) and Fattoush salad.

Dessert: Ash El Sarayya (cream and dough, topped with crushed pistachios).

Drinks: Evian water, Tun (yogurt drink), and coffee.