Hurricane Sandy

Walter

Oh man don't drag politics into this thread, I would hate to stop checking in and avoid the train wreck that will ensue here! Anyway, the pictures are just unbelievable coming out of NJ/NY! The death toll just keeps rising. I hope things are able to get back on track soon and this doesn't become another opportunity of misused donations/scams. Thoughts and prayers are with all in that area w/o power, in flood areas and/or have lost everything.

Rick, glad to hear your daughter is safe. Tell her to stay out of that water, it is very polluted and basically toxic. Take care.

Hello:

I send my thoughts and prayers to all affected by this horrible storm..I've been watching the stories about the babies who had to be taken out of one hospital due to no power and/or flooding and transported to another.. the first responders who helped these new lives and their parents are heroes

Juliet xo

Edited by Juliet

Hmmm, not quite, at least not according to Governor Christie who praised Obama and his efforts and then went on to slam the Fox News team who tried to politicize the disaster. Now, where was Romney??? Oh yeah, Mr. Concerned was safe and sound in Ohio collecting cans at his "victory" convention for, and I quote, "...these will go to...where? I think New Jersey?" Now there is a leader if I ever saw one :hysterical:

YOU MAKE ME SICK!!!!! This man is worried about his daughter's well being and safety and because of some passing remark you're going to drag politics into this tragic situation to try to make your guy look good? How dare you, you scumbag!!!!!! Have you ever been through a hurricane? Have you ever had loved ones in harms way and then have no way to get ahold of them to make sure they are ok? You have no idea of the magnitude of the devastation and the hardships these people are going to face for weeks and months if not years rebuilding their lives. Gov. Christie's state has been crippled! What's he supposed to do, tell Obama to get lost? That he doesn't need his help and the help of the Federal Government? He's thinking about his people and his state! He wants and needs help! Get real!

Sorry Walter I couldn't let that go.

Hmmm, not quite, at least not according to Governor Christie who praised Obama and his efforts and then went on to slam the Fox News team who tried to politicize the disaster. Now, where was Romney??? Oh yeah, Mr. Concerned was safe and sound in Ohio collecting cans at his "victory" convention for, and I quote, "...these will go to...where? I think New Jersey?" Now there is a leader if I ever saw one :hysterical:

Dude keep your fucking politics out of this thread. You insensitive piece of shit....fucking using the hysterical smiley face? There's millions of people up there with no power and temps diving down lnto the 30's...no heat, no water...many areas have not been helped yet....and now the threat of a noreastern less then a week away....and you use a a smiley face in laughter....your a fucking fool.

Edited by zepscoda

Here is the latest on LBI :

The mayor of Long Beach Island Township told CBS News it would be five or six days before people will even be let back on the island to check on their homes. As for the damage, the mayor says it could cost more than $700 million dollars to fix, and up to $200 million just to get all the sand off the streets.

A single bridge is only one way on and off the island the locals call "LBI." Now it's closed. Long Beach Island is a popular summer vacation spot and home to nearly 10,000 people. Nobody is being let back on the island after Wednesday because of the widespread destruction.

Quick youtube news vid:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RtdUW5o5SKQ

I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone but find it quite telling that LedZeppfan77 was not called out for introducing politics into the thread in the first place. BTW, since I have travelled the world extensively as a Marine from 1988 - 1994 I have seen my fare share of tragedy, not to mention the murder of my brother and having a hospital "accidentally" kill my father. Maybe I am strange but I would never go off an another person for stating what I posted above, no way, regardless of the context. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone as that was not my intention. Mea Culpa.

Oh man don't drag politics into this thread, I would hate to stop checking in and avoid the train wreck that will ensue here! Anyway, the pictures are just unbelievable coming out of NJ/NY! The death toll just keeps rising. I hope things are able to get back on track soon and this doesn't become another opportunity of misused donations/scams. Thoughts and prayers are with all in that area w/o power, in flood areas and/or have lost everything.

Rick, glad to hear your daughter is safe. Tell her to stay out of that water, it is very polluted and basically toxic. Take care.

You were spot on with that observation, just bad judgement on my part. Again please accept my sincere apology, I was not trying to offend anyone or downplay this tragedy.

I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone but find it quite telling that LedZeppfan77 was not called out for introducing politics into the thread in the first place. BTW, since I have travelled the world extensively as a Marine from 1988 - 1994 I have seen my fare share of tragedy, not to mention the murder of my brother and having a hospital "accidentally" kill my father. Maybe I am strange but I would never go off an another person for stating what I posted above, no way, regardless of the context. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone as that was not my intention. Mea Culpa.

Apology accepted. I am truly sorry about your brother and father. And, thank you for your service to our country. But, your post was in poor taste. I realized that LedZeppfan77 made a somewhat political comment, but chalked it up to frustration about not being able to help his daughter and I let it go like everyone else who posted afterward. I'm sorry I had a knee-jerk reaction to your post, but I remember Katrina. I saw the devastation first hand, you can't image how horrible and had family who were forever affected. I remember the back-biting and political posturing after that storm, from both parties. All politicans involved were guilty - ALL of them. It sickened me then as it does now. So . . . . . apology accepted . . . . .

Edited by justawoman

I hope things are able to get back on track soon and this doesn't become another opportunity of misused donations/scams.

I heard on the radio that this is already happening - people masquerading as service workers, then stealing from victims. Disgusting. One minute you read stories like the ones fdm12 posted on page 6 of this thread about people helping each other, and then another you hear things like this.

I really hope that everyone here along with their family and friends are safe and as sound as can be. Some workers and volunteers are already there but there will be more help coming from north of the border .

As I also went through Katrina, my heart just goes out to the people in the area effected. I hope they get the help needed. And like justawoman stated, looking at it on TV or photos does not compare to seeing the devastation in person.

I do not know how my daughter and husband are dealing with it. I do not want to call as she probably charged her cell at the office, and God knows how they got there? Maybe they swam. I am just wondering if his parents in Chester NJ are without power? Because they would have gone there I am sure if there was a way to get there. It will take a long time to clean up this mess. But its not Katrina if you must compare. At least I dont think it is. There will be a special aired on it tonight. Called Hurricane Sandy. Down in Florida they must be thinking that they are not so bad off after all. They dodged one and the northeast got one. I guess its called a thirty year storm for good reason. Its a rare thing for a storm to keep strength in cold waters. Even though I am sure its scientifically or from a meteorologists perspective, impossible for a storm to be anything higher than a category 2 in northern waters? It was probably thought the worst would be either the Carolina's or Cape Cod. But New York and New Jersey? The Jersey shore as they call it I have heard many stories about over the years. I have heard of the New Jersey Devil, and maybe he is hard at work in all of this. They say the damage to the shore is the worst ever. But like Sanibel Island in Florida, it will rise again and within a couple of years the beaches will be packed. I hope they get the transit up. This has had a chain reaction effect. The stock market and other business's that are based in NY have been affected nation wide. NY is like the heart of this country in many ways. When it stops beating, we all feel the effect.

I do not know how my daughter and husband are dealing with it. I do not want to call as she probably charged her cell at the office, and God knows how they got there? Maybe they swam. .

Hi- just an update. The Hoboken Ferry is running limited service to Manhattan so I'm sure that's how they got there. Most of NJ doesn't have power or limited power but my friends in Morris County (where Chester is located) do. I'd say leave your daughter a vmail or send a text or an email. The latter 2 esp don't take much juice. :)

The issue with the storm is the massive density of the city and the fact that it hasn't experienced many tropical storms (which is what Sandy was downgraded to once it came close to either NJ or NY-not sure which.) It was also the issue of 3 storms converging that made it different.

Frankly, the city is extremely angry right now. It's disheartening and understandable - I'm trying to stay calm and do what I can to take people in and drop off relief supplies and just be a good friend/citizen. I just keep saying to myself, "Assume positive intent," because I don't know everyone's situation right now.

I will say that a real target of anger (it's almost universal at this point) is Mayor Bloomberg for not postponing the marathon. There are generators and food trucks in Central Park right now which is just an outrage considering the state of lower Manhattan, the Rockaways, Red Hook, NJ, etc. Not to mention the fact that they are bringing in retired NYPD and NYFD to help with the marathon. So if you all want to beat up on Bloomie, I don't think anyone would stop you. :) I've never voted for him but I thought he was doing a good job with this until this decision. Having said that, I've never managed a city of 8+million people or a disaster relief effort. (Lots of anger at the Red Cross right now, too.) That's all the politics, for me, Walter and btw, thanks for starting this thread if I haven't said that already! :)

If you want to PM me directly with any specific questions I'm happy to research for you! (My family knows I'm safe and they still keep calling to confirm since the images on TV are so horrifying -so happy to help you if I can.)

Glad to hear your update fdm12. Was worried about you until I heard you were alright! :)

Is there a concert relief benefit tonight on tv? I thought I overheard someone talking about one.

Take care everyone!!!

Glad to hear your update fdm12. Was worried about you until I heard you were alright! :)Is there a concert relief benefit tonight on tv? I thought I overheard someone talking about one.Take care everyone!!!

So nice of you!

BRUUUUUCE! I'm not his biggest fan (of his music but do like him A LOT) but he is the heart and soul of New Jersey! Also Bon Jovi (what can I say, every person I know from Jersey loves them) and Sting and I think Christina Aguilera who I believe is from Staten Island.

I had a little share in Belmar on the shore a few summers ago that was washed away - the whole neighborhood :( so I am happy to give some love to Jersey.

After being offline since Monday sometime, I'm back and it feels great. Will tell you more over the weekend about my experience with Sandy being a resident in the Northeast USA, but it's getting late and I'm quite tired.

Got my power back today and things are well. Being without power, cable TV and internet sucks for about four days, but can't compare to what many of those have experienced from this calamity of a storm. At least I have my home still intact. Probably the worst to hit the NYC area...ever. At least in over a 100 years. The 1938 hurricane was real bad for Long Island and CT, but this one affected such a larger area and lasted with such harsh conditions for many hours. Just beyond belief as until hours ago, I had not seen pics or video of the aftermath. I'm overwhelmed what I have seen and can't turn off the news at this time. Enough for now!

Edited by SuperDave

Good news SuperDave! As of about 7:30 last night everything is back up and running in my home too. Still a lot of work being done in my town, but getting there. Some homes and businesses are gone, I can't and don't like to imagine it.

I hope NY and NJ can start to turn things around soon.

posted this here and on the BOC thread...

Original BLUE ÖYSTER CULT members Allen Lanier (keyboards, guitar), Albert Bouchard (drums, percussion), Joe Bouchard (bass), Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser (guitar) and Eric Bloom (lead vocals, rhythm guitar) will reunite to perform on November 5 at the Best Buy Theater in New York City.

Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, celebrated the 40th anniversary of "Blue Öyster Cult" — unleashed in 1972, the eponymous debut album from America's heaviest psychedelic metal band presaged punk, thrash and hardcore — with the release of "Blue Öyster Cult - The Columbia Albums Collection", a monumental career-spanning BLUE ÖYSTER CULT library comprised of 16 CDs (the full official canon plus two discs of rarities) and the mythic "Some Other Enchanted Evening" DVD (a blistering concert video from 1978). The highly-collectible boxed set was made available this past Tuesday, October 30.

"Blue Öyster Cult - The Columbia Albums Collection" brings together the group's 14 official Columbia Records albums — including newly-mastered editions of "On Your Feet Or On Your Knees", "Fire Of Unknown Origin", "The Revolution By Night", "Mirrors", "Cultosaurus Erectus", "Extraterrestrial Live", "Club Ninja" and "Imaginos" — alongside two newly-curated bonus discs: "Rarities" and "Radios Appear: The Best Of The Broadcasts" (a special collection of classic live performances).

In addition, the "Blue Öyster Cult - The Columbia Albums Collection" box set comes with a special download code good for four live concert broadcasts as well as as a forty-page booklet chock-full of photos and liner notes from celebrated music writer and guitarist Lenny Kaye.

"Blue Öyster Cult - The Columbia Albums Collection" includes:

01. Blue Öyster Cult (1972 - studio - with 2001 CD bonus tracks)

02. Tyranny And Mutation (1973 - studio - with 2001 CD bonus tracks)

03. Secret Treaties (1974 - studio - with 2001 CD bonus tracks)

04. On Your Feet Or On Your Knees (1975 - live) - 2012 Remaster

05. Agents Of Fortune (1976 - studio - with 2001 CD bonus tracks)

06. Spectres (1977 - studio - with 2007 CD bonus tracks)

07. Some Enchanted Evening CD (1978 - live - with 2007 CD bonus tracks)

08. Some Other Enchanted Evening DVD (1978 - live)

09. Mirrors (1979 - studio) - 2012 Remaster

10. Cultosaurus Erectus (1980 - studio) - 2012 Remaster

11. Fire Of Unknown Origin (1981 - studio) - 2012 Remaster

12. Extraterrestrial Live (1982 - live) - 2012 Remaster

13. The Revolution By Night (1983 - studio) - 2012 Remaster

14. Club Ninja (1985 - studio) - 2012 Remaster

15. Imaginos (1988 - studio) - 2012 Remaster

16. Rarities

17. Radios Appear: The Best of the Broadcasts

Originally formed in Long Island as SOFT WHITE UNDERBELLY in 1967, BLUE ÖYSTER CULT combined adventurous lyrical themes with an aggressive instrumental sound. With passion and intelligence on display in equal measure, BLUE ÖYSTER CULT became the thinking fan's rock band and a sign of life in a sea of dull, anemic soft-pop. Anthems like "Godzilla", "Harvester Of Eyes" and "Don't Fear The Reaper" stretched the boundaries of rock topics while lead guitarist Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser became a hero to legions of budding axe-wielders. The band's mystique extended to their album artwork, resulting in some of the most distinctive and iconic LP covers of the rock era. "Blue Öyster Cult - The Columbia Albums Collection" gathers the essential pieces of the BLUE ÖYSTER CULT story into one mind-boggling totality.

Good news SuperDave! As of about 7:30 last night everything is back up and running in my home too. Still a lot of work being done in my town, but getting there. Some homes and businesses are gone, I can't and don't like to imagine it.

Glad to hear you're doing well.

Edited by paul carruthers