New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

I feel safe keeping $80 stashed away for an lp box set, now, if they go over that, I would say they went pretty extravagant with the packages, which I would be cool with... I am excited as well to see how the albums will be ultimately packaged.

I'm not saying there won't be vinyl, especially considering how Page loves the medium and is a collector himself, but the problem that I cannot get my head around is that he has said that these Deluxe Editions could contain multi-media features, and that cannot translate to vinyl. I suppose vinyl would be a watered down version of the CD, but most Deluxe Editions that I have seen and own are strictly limited to that medium. As a huge vinyl collector myself, I look forward to a vinyl offering, but as always, I can't allow myself to go there until word has officially broken. From what some have said, it sounds like it will happen. I'll wait and see.

Edited by The Dark Lord

so pagey's doing pictures with ross halfin today? supposedly in relation to the zeppelin remasters? guess they're prolly doing interviews separately with all 3 of them as well as pictures separately as part of the interviews/press rollout for these releases. At least i assume that's what they're doing, given all 3 were relatively heavily involved in crafting these releases.

Correct me if I´m wrong, but didn´t Pink Floyd release their entire catalog in super deluxe and deluxe editions all at one?

Correct.

The Discovery box and the individual CDs came out all at once along with DSOTM Experience and Immersion - in the fall. I think WYWH Immersion and Experience were a few weeks later.

But The Wall Immersion set was released several months later IIRC - Jan or Feb.

Edited by rockclassics

so pagey's doing pictures with ross halfin today? supposedly in relation to the zeppelin remasters? guess they're prolly doing interviews separately with all 3 of them as well as pictures separately as part of the interviews/press rollout for these releases. At least i assume that's what they're doing, given all 3 were relatively heavily involved in crafting these releases.

That is the word -

Also on Twitter earlier today -

Led Zeppelin News ‏@LedZepNews

We’ve heard that the Jimmy Page photoshoot today may have taken place in London’s Chinatown

Led Zeppelin News ‏@LedZepNews

NEWS: Today Jimmy Page is being photographed in London, and it’s related to the Led Zeppelin remasters

What I'm still stumped on is the PRICE point per unit. If they do provide GENUINE new material (including video), I can see these going for maybe $40-50 a pop, easily, in some kind of LP sized box with an accompanying booklet. I'd be SURPRISED if they just released them in cheap digipaks with MINIMAL liner notes. Really EXCITED to see how these albums are ultimately PACKAGED. Here's hoping the first one hits the market before the summer is over! :)

If the CD versions are not LP size boxes but are "slipcases" similar to TSRTS from 2007 or Celebration Day, I'm guessing about $19.99 to $25 each. But if LP size with a nice booklet each, I agree with $40-$50.

I feel safe keeping $80 stashed away for an lp box set, now, if they go over that, I would say they went pretty extravagant with the packages, which I would be cool with... I am excited as well to see how the albums will be ultimately packaged.

I have a $175 gift card balance at Amazon. Obviously plenty to get at Amazon but I'm holding off until I know the when and how much on these sets!

GOOD point about the Floyd, achillesstand, but I think this re-issue series may be different. It looks like EACH album will get the "DELUXE" treatment (multiple cds, videos, booklets, etc.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that treatment reserved only for Floyd's BIG albums (Dark Side, Wall, etc.)?

Edited by Trufan

GOOD point about the Floyd, achillesstand, but I think this re-issue series may be different. It looks like EACH album will get the "DELUXE" treatment (multiple cds, videos, booklets, etc.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that treatment reserved only for Floyd's BIG albums (Dark Side, Wall, etc.)?

I'm all for video and booklets, but didn't Jimmy say each set would be the original album, remastered, and one disc of extras (or perhaps two disc of extras for PG)? Of course, it could have all changed since that statement.

Edit: Of course, that statement does not preclude a booklet per set.

Edited by pujols05

That Halfin diary entry might be interesting -- hopefully they're press-release type pics, and we'll be getting some news soon!

93 pages compared to 26 pages on Steve Hoffman's thread.

All I have to say is I hope they release vinyl editions. I don't care when they are released or if they do it all at once or in bunches...I'll get them all either way. Just be patient, people.

Kinda obvious, considering the nature of this site, no?

John Davis mentioned cutting Zeppelin vinyl several times last year, and Robert also mentioned vinyl reissues...so it's safe to say we're getting vinyl.

QdUvs3YvLn.jpg

A new box set featuring Black Sabbath's first eight studio albums with original frontman Ozzy Osbourne will be released on April 15. The eight-CD collection, Black Sabbath: The Complete Albums 1970-1978, spans from the heavy-metal legends' self-titled debut through Never Say Day!, Osbourne's final studio effort with the group until last year's chart-topping 13.

The discs will come housed in sleeves replicating the albums' original cover art and will be packaged together in a clamshell box. Among the many classic and influential songs featured on the Sabbath's 1970s albums are "Iron Man," "Paranoid," "War Pigs," "Sweet Leaf" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath."

The Complete Albums will arrive a couple weeks after Black Sabbath launches a newNorth American tour. The trek is scheduled to run from a March 31 concert in Brooklyn, New York, through an April 26 concert in Los Angeles, and also will include stops in 10 Canadian cities.

Here's the list of CDs included in The Complete Albums 1970-1978 set:

Black Sabbath (1970)
Paranoid (1970)
Master of Reality (1971)
Vol. 4 (1972)
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)
Sabotage (1975)
Technical Ecstasy (1976)
Never Say Die! (1978)

Copyright ABC News Radio

QdUvs3YvLn.jpg

A new box set featuring Black Sabbath's first eight studio albums with original frontman Ozzy Osbourne will be released on April 15. The eight-CD collection, Black Sabbath: The Complete Albums 1970-1978, spans from the heavy-metal legends' self-titled debut through Never Say Day!, Osbourne's final studio effort with the group until last year's chart-topping 13.

The discs will come housed in sleeves replicating the albums' original cover art and will be packaged together in a clamshell box. Among the many classic and influential songs featured on the Sabbath's 1970s albums are "Iron Man," "Paranoid," "War Pigs," "Sweet Leaf" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath."

The Complete Albums will arrive a couple weeks after Black Sabbath launches a newNorth American tour. The trek is scheduled to run from a March 31 concert in Brooklyn, New York, through an April 26 concert in Los Angeles, and also will include stops in 10 Canadian cities.

Black Sabbath (1970)Paranoid (1970)Master of Reality (1971)Vol. 4 (1972)Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)Sabotage (1975)Technical Ecstasy (1976)Never Say Die! (1978)

Copyright ABC News Radio

So, this box set is simply the CD equivalent of the vinyl box set that was released 2 years ago. They have extended the format to include CD's now. I am flying to 2 of the shows on the 2014 tour, and saw 1 show in 2013. It was great. Now, back to the mighty Zep. Edited by The Dark Lord

QdUvs3YvLn.jpg

Black Sabbath (1970)Paranoid (1970)Master of Reality (1971)Vol. 4 (1972)Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)Sabotage (1975)Technical Ecstasy (1976)Never Say Die! (1978)

Copyright ABC News Radio

Who Cares? Really. This is a Zeppelin forum not a Sabbath board. Let's get back on topic.

So, this box set is simply the CD equivalent of the vinyl box set that was released 2 years ago. They have extended the format to include CD's now. I am flying to 2 of the shows on the 2014 tour, and saw 1 show in 2013. It was great.

I don't understand the point of releasing this after that vinyl set, after the HDtracks, and after the (overall excellent) CDs and SACDs from 2008-2010.

Who Cares? Really. This is a Zeppelin forum not a Sabbath board. Let's get back on topic.

Talk about Sabbath all you want, but why in this thread?

Edited by Melcórë

haha

done, announced, here ya go..not saying this is anything like what might be expected from Zep but still

94 pages of speculation is a drag

Gotta' agree with that last part, but the Zeppelin releases will be much more like the "Deluxe" sets released by Sabbath...who I guess have had two (or three) separate digital remasterings over the course of the last six years?

I don't understand the point of releasing this after that vinyl set, after the HDtracks, and after the (overall excellent) CDs and SACDs from 2008-2010.

It's hard to find a catalogue more whored out than Sabbath's. They don't own their rights, unlike Zep, which is another reason that Jimmy is a genius, for keeping such strong artistic control. The only thing that Jimmy has shit the bed on is cover art post ITTOD. From the best to the worst covers in rock.

Edited by The Dark Lord

It's hard to find a catalogue mired whored out than Sabbath's. They don't own their rights, unlike Zep, which is another reason that Jimmy is a genius, for keeping such strong artistic control. The only thing that Jimmy has shit the bed on is cover art post ITTOD. From the best to the worst covers in rock.

I'd say the Stones, but it's a similar situation to Sabbath (at least with the ABKCO stuff, which was actually only remastered once or twice and just re-released over the years).

The "rights" issue is an interesting one. It seems like they were kind of screwed over (at least in terms of sales profits) until their contracts were renegotiated in the late-80s/early-90s.

Edited by Melcórë

I'd say the Stones, but it's a similar situation to Sabbath (at least with the ABKCO stuff, which was actually only remastered once or twice and just re-released over the years).

The "rights" issue is an interesting one. It seems like they were kind of screwed over (at least in terms of sales profits) until their contracts were renegotiated in the late-80s/early-90s.

Yes. Jimmy and John Paul were seasoned music industry people, and could throw some weight around. The Sabs were dirt poor Birmingham nobodies, with little understanding of the industry, so they got the typical mishandling of that era.

Yes. Jimmy and John Paul were seasoned music industry people, and could throw some weight around. The Sabs were dirt poor Birmingham nobodies, with little understanding of the industry, so they got the typical mishandling of that era.

Oh, I was actually talking about Zeppelin in my last post.

Sam Aizer from Swan Song (in Hoskyns' book, p.423):

[steve Weiss] got very prosperous, because he was able to keep his financial situation with Zeppelin and Bad Company and Swan Song without selling the rights, when they sold their rights. When CDs came into play, you're talking about a brand-new revenue stream. If CDs had come out in 1980, before Zeppelin had finished, the band would have made untold amounts of money. Unfortunately, they sold a lot of their rights when Steve Weiss didn't.

Alan Callan, the president of Swan Song, reiterates that sentiment on the same page. Ed Bicknell (Dire Straits' manager, Peter Grant's friend) relates how Zeppelin was getting screwed in terms of royalties when the 1990 box-sets were released, and how Grant called up Ahmet in order to "get a proper deal that didn't need writing down" (445).

Ok, I know all of those Led Zeppelin boots in Ross Halfin's photo EXCEPT one...the Japanese one with the panties (a la Alice Cooper's "School's Out")! Can anyone provide information about that one?

That Black Sabbath box is OLD NEWS. It was released ages ago. I got the UK edition nearly a decade ago and the US box followed shortly afterwards. It contains only the original albums, no bonus material, so it really isn't germane to this discussion.

Ok, I know all of those Led Zeppelin boots in Ross Halfin's photo EXCEPT one...the Japanese one with the panties (a la Alice Cooper's "School's Out")! Can anyone provide information about that one?

That Black Sabbath box is OLD NEWS. It was released ages ago. I got the UK edition nearly a decade ago and the US box followed shortly afterwards. It contains only the original albums, no bonus material, so it really isn't germane to this discussion.

From CMR:

...the rare vinyl boot 71-72 Digest on Digger records [which was] released in the mid eighties. This title is infamous for coming with a poster and rubber stamped panties with each copy. This contains the first incomplete thirty-seven minute audience recording from Hiroshima [1971.09.27]...

I assume that Sabbath set has the most recent digital remasters.