New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

I feel that without any "official" statement, it's all up in the air. Page can swear up and down that they are coming out this year...but without any sign of marketing or announcements they will not.

I was thinking the same thing. Love Jimmy, but his innuendo of the past has been anything but reliable info that you would take to the bank, and I tend to think that without an official marketing move, it would be wise to keep one's expectations on the conservative side. Only time will tell, I suppose, but I am continually reminded of comments he has made in the past, and I do get cold feet when it comes to the current venture.

So, I do believe that these Deluxe Editions will happen this year, but Jimmy has publicly made comments and suggestions about a solo album in the past, and nothing has ever materialized.Is there anyone out there who fears that the current information in circulation, about the new LZ albums, may not be a true commitment of a 2014 release? Is it possible that the "talk" about these releases is just that? Or, are most people fairly confident that this is going to happen soon?

I can tell you for a fact the Led Zeppelin re-releases are definitely happening this year.

I was thinking the same thing. Love Jimmy, but his innuendo of the past has been anything but reliable info that you would take to the bank, and I tend to think that without an official marketing move, it would be wise to keep one's expectations on the conservative side. Only time will tell, I suppose, but I am continually reminded of comments he has made in the past, and I do get cold feet when it comes to the current venture.

When it comes to Led Zeppelin I do trust Jimmy to let us know when these releases are coming out.

When it comes to Jimmy Page "solo album" well it is the triumph of hope over experience, I do not know if it is possible to find a LZ.com thread from 2003 but I will bet that everyone was looking forward to his new album that year... :yesnod:

I do not know if it is possible to find a LZ.com thread from 2003 but I will bet that everyone was looking forward to his new album that year... :yesnod:

Just like they are looking forward to the Deluxes now. So, who could blame anyone for not wanting to get their hopes too high?

So, assuming the box sets FINALLY get released sometime THIS year, I'm puzzled as to how they intend to release them?

Are we talking ONE at a time, a group at a time, or the ENTIRE group of albums all at once?

And if they do release them one at a time, will they be released in CHRONOLOGICAL order?

I'm not a record exec (seem to be fewer and fewer of them these days), but the whole release strategy has me stymied. We all know that the release of ANY material from LZ is as close to a SURE thing as the record industry is gonna get nowadays, but still, you would think they would've planned this differently, like scheduling them for a CHRISTMAS release, for example. Most BIG releases are released around that time, and the RE-re-release of the LZ albums would certainly qualify as such. If I remember correctly, the ORIGINAL box set (the one with the "crop circles") was released around the holidays. Wonder what the thinking behind the marketing is this time?

Also, what's the LIKELY price point on these releases? If we're looking at 2 cds, a booklet, probably in some type of album sized box, are we're probably looking at between $50-60 dollars each?

I just remembered that the LZ catalog was recently released on Spotify. So when these sets are finally released and are eventually made available on Spotify, won't that cause some kind of confusion, having two versions available of the same albums?

And whatever happened to Jimmy's February press "conference/release/whatever?"

So, assuming the box sets FINALLY get released sometime THIS year, I'm puzzled as to how they intend to release them?

Are we talking ONE at a time, a group at a time, or the ENTIRE group of albums all at once?

And if they do release them one at a time, will they be released in CHRONOLOGICAL order?

I'm not a record exec (seem to be fewer and fewer of them these days), but the whole release strategy has me stymied. We all know that the release of ANY material from LZ is as close to a SURE thing as the record industry is gonna get nowadays, but still, you would think they would've planned this differently, like scheduling them for a CHRISTMAS release, for example. Most BIG releases are released around that time, and the RE-re-release of the LZ albums would certainly qualify as such. If I remember correctly, the ORIGINAL box set (the one with the "crop circles") was released around the holidays. Wonder what the thinking behind the marketing is this time?

Also, what's the LIKELY price point on these releases? If we're looking at 2 cds, a booklet, probably in some type of album sized box, are we're probably looking at between $50-60 dollars each?

I just remembered that the LZ catalog was recently released on Spotify. So when these sets are finally released and are eventually made available on Spotify, won't that cause some kind of confusion, having two versions available of the same albums?

And whatever happened to Jimmy's February press "conference/release/whatever?"

The plan is/was to release the first three this spring, the rest are/were to be released towards the end of this year.

The plan is/was to release the first three this spring, the rest are/were to be released towards the end of this year.

That would be cool, but I doubt it. Jimmy's New Year's post only said "the first of the Led Zeppelin releases [specifically Led Zeppelin, II and III] will be released this year." That's the only concrete information we have. Nothing about the first three in the spring.

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, my personal interpretation of that is one at a time, something like Led Zeppelin in May, II in August, and III in October or November, but it's anyone's guess until we hear more.

That would be cool, but I doubt it. Jimmy's New Year's post only said "the first of the Led Zeppelin releases [specifically Led Zeppelin, II and III] will be released this year." That's the only concrete information we have. Nothing about the first three in the spring.

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, my personal interpretation of that is one at a time, something like Led Zeppelin in May, II in August, and III in October or November, but it's anyone's guess until we hear more.

see that just seems weird though. Staggering them out so it's album by album when you have 8 whole albums to go through just leads to market exhaustion/reduced hype. You'd want to get say the first 3 out there at once, hold for a few months, and then drop the next 3 or the rest of em or whatever. Going piecemeal would be a foolish market strategy, all you're really saying to people is that you're trying to stretch the timeframe as long as possible, and frankly people will become impatient and disinterested. Make it 2-3 big event releases and be done with it.

see that just seems weird though. Staggering them out so it's album by album when you have 8 whole albums to go through just leads to market exhaustion/reduced hype. You'd want to get say the first 3 out there at once, hold for a few months, and then drop the next 3 or the rest of em or whatever. Going piecemeal would be a foolish market strategy, all you're really saying to people is that you're trying to stretch the timeframe as long as possible, and frankly people will become impatient and disinterested. Make it 2-3 big event releases and be done with it.

Exactly.

Others would say it makes more sense to string it out instead of dumping all of them on us at once. Edit: Sorry, just reread and noticed you don't advocate all at once, necessarily.

But whether it's the first three at once or spread out, Jimmy said it's just the first three in 2014.

Robert and Jimmy have already said that they are working on the later albums still, and recently found tapes with JPJ on lead vocals. That would suggest that only the first three albums will be coming out soon, and they have stated as much. It would be questionable marketing not to prolong these releases: build interest on the first batch, and stagger the rest. Market fatigue? Did we see sales of the original Zep albums decline over time, because familiarity bred contempt? I think not. There is no such thing as bad press. I suspect that once all the individual albums are released over 3 years, we will see a comprehensive DE box in the 4th or 5th year, to coincide with Led Zeppelin's 50th birthday. Or something along those lines, and God willing.

93 pages compared to 26 pages on Steve Hoffman's thread.

All I have to say is I hope they release vinyl editions. I don't care when they are released or if they do it all at once or in bunches...I'll get them all either way. Just be patient, people.

93 pages compared to 26 pages on Steve Hoffman's thread.

All I have to say is I hope they release vinyl editions. I don't care when they are released or if they do it all at once or in bunches...I'll get them all either way. Just be patient, people.

This^

A refresher for those who have forgotten some of the details that were discussed in the press:

"Over the past few years Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page has been hard at work on new deluxe reissues of the band's legendary albums. In interviews dating back to 2012, Page has said that the new versions of the albums will contain previously unreleased material, as he digs through the band's archives, though he hasn't been specific about what tracks and how many will make the cut. On New Year's Eve Page provided an update to the project on his website stating that the first of the Led Zeppelin releases - Led Zeppelin I, Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III - "and their companion discs" will be released in 2014.

Page also has revealed he's been "working on some of my own material from the archives that will be unleashed in 2014." Jimmy had previously stated that the entire Led Zeppelin catalog would be released as deluxe editions in 2014, but now it appears the band and Atlantic Records will take their time rolling out these highly anticipated sets."

------------------------------------------------

Rolling Stone:

""It will be coming out, bit by bit," Jimmy Page says with a tantalizing lilt in his voice. The Led Zeppelin guitarist is referring to his current labors in the band's archive, preparing new deluxe editions of each of Zeppelin's studio albums, from 1969's Led Zeppelin to 1979's In Through the Out Door, plus the 1982 post-breakup collection, Coda. Page says the reissues will include "added sonic and visual thrills," and he expects to begin issuing the first albums in the series sometime next year.

Details of the project emerged during Page's interview for the new issue of Rolling Stone – his longest and most extensive conversation with the magazine, coinciding with the release of Celebration Day, the new film and album of Led Zeppelin's 2007 reunion concert at London 02's arena. I had asked Page about the reissues in a phone interview three days before our first session in London, but he preferred to wait and discuss them in person – which he did, as soon as we sat down in a lounge in his management's office in London.

"The catalog was last remastered 20 years ago," Page said, referring to the 1990 release of the four-CD box set, Led Zeppelin. "That's a long time. Everything is being transferred from analog to a higher-resolution digital format. That's one of the problems with the Zeppelin stuff. It sounds ridiculous on MP3. You can't hear what's there properly."

Whole Lotta Extras
Based on the unreleased studio tracks that have circulated on bootlegs since Led Zeppelin split in 1980, following the death of drummer John Bonham, the group did not record a lot of additional songs for each LP. "But there was an overage of material – different versions of things, different approaches to the mixes," Page explained. He mentioned experiments with equipment and sound on early alternative takes at Headley Grange, the English manor where Zeppelin recorded some of their most iconic work, particularly their 1971 untitled fourth album.

"The classic there was 'When the Levee Breaks,'" Page said, "where the drums were set up in the hallway. You know what it sounded like – immense – from the recorded version. But we used the drums in the hall for a number of things, like 'Kashmir' [on 1975's Physical Graffiti] – some with closer miking. So there were a lot of different approaches. It will be fascinating for people to witness the work in progress."

Page is also looking at relevant live recordings and film to accompany the reissues. "There are concerts that were recorded – some that might have appeared on bootleg in some shape or form – and a certain amount of footage, though not a lot," he said. "I started doing this with [2003's] Led Zeppelin DVD and [the 2003 three-CD set] How the West Was Won, which was a superb live performance." Page believes BBC Sessions, a 1997 release of Zeppelin's recordings for British radio, "didn't have that open horizon" of the group's best concerts, "where you're just going and going, right over that horizon.

"But all of it is good," Page said of the music his band left behind, on record and in the vaults. "It has its own character and validity."

Your Time Is Gonna Come
Pressed on a release date for the initial reissues, Page warned that "you've got to get to the point where all of the members of the group are in agreement," referring to singer Robert Plant and bassist John Paul Jones. "I would hope it is sooner rather than later. But it will be in the course of next year and going on for awhile.

"And I'm not just throwing on any old flotsam and jetsam," he insisted, referring to the bonus material. "This will be really substantial stuff.""

MUCH kudos to "The Dark Lord" for amassing substantive quotes from a variety of sources that will have to sate the RAVENOUS fans amongst us.

In a PERFECT world, the ENTIRE catalog would be released ALL at once, at some reasonable price, say, $19.99 for each set?

HAHAHAHA! Ah, one can always dream, right? Now, for the REAL world scenario: So, it does look like the albums will be released in CHRONOLOGICAL order, with the likelihood of them being bunched together (LZ 1,2,3, and then the others) making sense. What I'm still stumped on is the PRICE point per unit. If they do provide GENUINE new material (including video), I can see these going for maybe $40-50 a pop, easily, in some kind of LP sized box with an accompanying booklet. I'd be SURPRISED if they just released them in cheap digipaks with MINIMAL liner notes. Really EXCITED to see how these albums are ultimately PACKAGED. Here's hoping the first one hits the market before the summer is over! :)

I feel safe keeping $80 stashed away for an lp box set, now, if they go over that, I would say they went pretty extravagant with the packages, which I would be cool with... I am excited as well to see how the albums will be ultimately packaged.

Archived