What Made You Happy today?

Hotplant

I took my Middle Son to a Hospital Dentist today to have two wisdom teeth removed. We gets there at about 11.30, 15mins early, at 12pm he goes in, i get a call from the nurse at 12,15pm to go to the room, i'm thinking that my son is getting a bit uncontrollable or something like that.

When i get in to the room my son is sitting on a low down hospital trolly with this massive smile on his face and this young nurse is in fits of laughter. I sit down and ask her whats up, she tells me that my son is having her in stitches, i ask what medication she has put him on and she tells me its Ketamine and Dopamine (i think!!) and the procedure has been completed, two wisdom teeth out inside of ten minutes must be some sort of record?

Anyways there my son sitting there in oblivion, he tells me this "i'm gonna give up smoking weed if i can get some of this (Ketamine) is fcking brilliant, i can see why people take it" then he starts singing rap songs, the nurse is in fits again, and she say that everybody reacts differently, only that she has never seen someone react like my son has, she tells me not to worry and just get him home quickly and safely.

Now my sons is a fcuking potential junkie, and i want some of it too. laugh.gif

Very Kind Regards, Danny and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend ROF ROF ROF HA HA HA

Funny story, Danny smile.gif

When my oldest son was 5, he went to the hospital for a tonsilectomy due to frequent strep throat infections. He didn't say a word to anyone. When they gave him an injection of valium to calm him before taking him back to the OR for the surgery, he became very talkative, making the nurses roll on the floor with laughter. It was so funny.

Seriously, though, you need to down play to him the effects that he experienced, so that he won't be wanting to experience it again, and seek out the drug and become a junkie. That's how some addictions get started. I hope for your and his sake that it doesn't become an obsession with him.

http://www.rxlist.co...loride-drug.htm

http://www.drugfree...._guide/ketamine

And to my knowledge, I think that ketamine is only used in veterinary medicine in the US, I think?

Any of the nurses on the forum will know this answer better than me. My husband is working tonight and not home to ask him.

Had to edit to say: ROF

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

When my oldest son was 5, he went to the hospital for a tonsilectomy due to frequent strep throat infections. He didn't say a word to anyone. When they gave him an injection of valium to calm him before taking him back to the OR for the surgery, he became very talkative, making the nurses roll on the floor with laughter. It was so funny.

Seriously, though, you need to down play to him the effects that he experienced, so that he won't be wanting to experience it again, and seek out the drug and become a junkie. That's how some addictions get started. I hope for your and his sake that it doesn't become an obsession with him.

And to my knowledge, I think that ketamine is only used in veterinary medicine in the US, I think?

Any of the nurses on the forum will know this answer better than me. My husband is working tonight and not home to ask him.

Your story and mine Doc.:lol::hysterical:

Dony worry Doc, i'm the Anti-Drug Templar come Tzar in my family, i can just about tolerate weed, as long as i dont know whos doing it and i cant smell it, if i can then theres hell to pay, what a nice chappie i am dont you think? :D

He is quite a responsable 21 year old, and he said he would never touch anything like Ketamine, i believe him and give him the benefit of the doubt. But i can now see the effect this drug has on someone, and can see why it has become so popular, makes my work as the Anti-Drugs Templar even harder now i know what i'm up against doesnt it? :yesnod:

Very Kind Regards, Danny and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend ROF ROF ROF HA HA HA

PS, "you need to down play to him the effects that he experienced" are you kidding Doc? i want to have those experiances myself, really, but i'm far to Anti-Drugs to even contemplate doing it, doesnt mean that i'm not tempted though, now thats a first, a "Tempted Templar" :lol:

Wish they had that stuff around when I had my tonsils out. I think I was 5 and all I remember is crying alot and feeling traumatized . Still have a sever dislike of anything to do with needles. I'd make a terrible junkie. :)

Hotplant, your granddaughter is beautiful! I know you are very proud!

Thank you Buck Eye Doc for the references for Bigdan to share with his son!

Great story, Danny, and i know how you feel about drugs, so i'm not worried your son will be just fine. Just this past week i had two patients started on intravenous Ketamine drips. They are postoperative with other pain issues in addition to their surgical pain. The one patient was given a bolus dose first by our Pain Management Nurse, and she had what was described as "an out of body experience" from it. She did not like the effect it had and it was made clear she would not be offered another bolus. She did fine with the drip. But that is some potent stuff. Oh what the hey, here's another reference, Dan: http://www.dancesafe.org/documents/druginfo/ketamine.php

Good job Electrophile. It's nice to be given recognition when it's well deserved.

So this didn't make me happy so much as flattered. My daughter's teacher asked me (and only two others out of a class of 18 children) to do a career day presentation next week. I would have liked more time to obtain some nice treats for the class. I found a site that will send me free coloring books, magnets and bookcovers. I'm hoping my sister can get me some goodies from the children's hospital she works at as well. I expect talking to the class should be fun, but would be much easier speaking to teenagers than five years olds :) My daughter is excited about it so at least i can make her feel proud of her mom, lol.

Was so excited to find out yesterday that my daughter's class is having a pajama party on Monday, at school, that my mom and i (she was excited too) went out and bought her brand new, adorable pj's for the occasion. The class is going to go to school in their sleepwear, they are having pancakes, eggs, fries and juice as a special breakfast, and watching a movie that begins with "p". This is for the week of the letter P. For the letter T they had a tea party. For S all the parents had to send in a salad item, and the class made a big salad. Some great ways to learn the alphabet!

My daughter also gets fitted next week for her ballet, tap and hip hop outfits! Recital is the third week of June, 2010! We can't wait to see the outfits that the instructor should have online very soon for us to view.

Four days off started today... always nice!

Thanks. I'm so, so proud of the work I do and when it's featured like that, it just makes me feel like I'm doing something right.

Yeah I checked it out and you're like #17 out of top 100 fan blogs. "Sweet sassy molassy" ROLF! You should put a link in your sig here, you'll get into the top ten in no time. Would've checked it out before had I known. And thank God it's the Yankees you're blogging about because if it were, say, the Red Sox I'd have to send you hate mail :D (they're like the Sens of baseball to me - no offense to Bostonians - lovely city, but douche team)

Edited by Patrycja

Yeah I checked it out and you're like #17 out of top 100 fan blogs. "Sweet sassy molassy" ROLF! You should put a link in your sig here, you'll get into the top ten in no time. Would've checked it out before had I known. And thank God it's the Yankees you're blogging about because if it were, say, the Red Sox I'd have to send you hate mail :D (they're like the Sens of baseball to me - no offense to Bostonians - lovely city, but douche team)

Sweet sassy molassy is what my grandmother would say in polite company when something like "motherfucking piece of shit" was not appropriate. And while I use cuss words every now and again, I do remember that anybody can read the blog regardless of age, so I try to watch myself.

As for putting a link in my signature, I'm wary about that. I don't mind comments from non-Yankees fans, a couple of my regulars over the last 3 years have been fans of other teams, it's just that there's non-Yankees fans and Yankee Haters™, the latter of which are not tolerated. I don't know which of the two groups resides here.

I am glad you checked my site out, I always appreciate new visitors. You can leave comments if you want underneath entries, you don't need an account there to do so. Just a name and an e-mail.

Sweet sassy molassy is what my grandmother would say in polite company when something like "motherfucking piece of shit" was not appropriate. And while I use cuss words every now and again, I do remember that anybody can read the blog regardless of age, so I try to watch myself.

As for putting a link in my signature, I'm wary about that. I don't mind comments from non-Yankees fans, a couple of my regulars over the last 3 years have been fans of other teams, it's just that there's non-Yankees fans and Yankee Haters™, the latter of which are not tolerated. I don't know which of the two groups resides here.

I am glad you checked my site out, I always appreciate new visitors. You can leave comments if you want underneath entries, you don't need an account there to do so. Just a name and an e-mail.

I just checked your blog out also Liz.... Really nice work. Your personality shines through. B)

Great smile too...

:)

To balance out my hissy fit on the "Unhappy" thread...

Just realized my favorite local (non chain) pizza place delivers!! :cheer:

And the girls and I saw an excellent school play last night :thumbsup:

And we are all HEALTHY while surrounded by fluish folks (knock on wood!)

Hotplant, your granddaughter is beautiful! I know you are very proud!

Thank you Buck Eye Doc for the references for Bigdan to share with his son!

Great story, Danny, and i know how you feel about drugs, so i'm not worried your son will be just fine. Just this past week i had two patients started on intravenous Ketamine drips. They are postoperative with other pain issues in addition to their surgical pain. The one patient was given a bolus dose first by our Pain Management Nurse, and she had what was described as "an out of body experience" from it. She did not like the effect it had and it was made clear she would not be offered another bolus. She did fine with the drip. But that is some potent stuff. Oh what the hey, here's another reference, Dan: http://www.dancesafe...fo/ketamine.php

Good job Electrophile. It's nice to be given recognition when it's well deserved.

So this didn't make me happy so much as flattered. My daughter's teacher asked me (and only two others out of a class of 18 children) to do a career day presentation next week. I would have liked more time to obtain some nice treats for the class. I found a site that will send me free coloring books, magnets and bookcovers. I'm hoping my sister can get me some goodies from the children's hospital she works at as well. I expect talking to the class should be fun, but would be much easier speaking to teenagers than five years olds smile.gif My daughter is excited about it so at least i can make her feel proud of her mom, lol.

Was so excited to find out yesterday that my daughter's class is having a pajama party on Monday, at school, that my mom and i (she was excited too) went out and bought her brand new, adorable pj's for the occasion. The class is going to go to school in their sleepwear, they are having pancakes, eggs, fries and juice as a special breakfast, and watching a movie that begins with "p". This is for the week of the letter P. For the letter T they had a tea party. For S all the parents had to send in a salad item, and the class made a big salad. Some great ways to learn the alphabet!

My daughter also gets fitted next week for her ballet, tap and hip hop outfits! Recital is the third week of June, 2010! We can't wait to see the outfits that the instructor should have online very soon for us to view.

Four days off started today... always nice!

Hi Tangerine,

Thank you, you answered my question about ketamine still being used in the US hospitals and not just in veterinary medicine.

My boys, too, had pajama parties in pre-school and kindergarten. They would wear their pj's with feet in them to school, along with robes and slippers. They would have popcorn and watch movies all day. I miss those days when they were little!

And the dance classes and all the outfits get really expensive, don't they? One of my opticians' daughter (who is 6) is in a competitive cheerleading group, and she says that it costs several thousand dollars a year for the classes, outfits, and competition fees. We had a patient in last week who's family is on welfare, but who's daughter is in this cheerleading group. My optician was amazed that the family had the money to spend on this while being on welfare, as it is so costly. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Hi Tangerine,

Thank you, you answered my question about ketamine still being used in the US hospitals and not just in veterinary medicine.

My boys, too, had pajama parties in pre-school and kindergarten. They would wear their pj's with feet in them to school, along with robes and slippers. They would have popcorn and watch movies all day. I miss those days when they were little!

And the dance classes and all the outfits get really expensive, don't they? One of my opticians' daughter (who is 6) is in a competitive cheerleading group, and she says that it costs several thousand dollars a year for the classes, outfits, and competition fees. We had a patient in last week who's family is on welfare, but who's daughter is in this cheerleading group. My optician was amazed that the family had the money to spend on this while being on welfare, as it is so costly. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Hi 'BUCK'EYE' DOC', it is my understanding that Ketamine is used for anesthia quite often (in humans. So far, in the setting i work, it's being reserved for patients who have poor pain management after surgery due to chronic illness that they were already being treated for preop. The intravenous infusion is given in addition to PCA (for laymen, patient controlled anesthia). Once the patient is able to be titrated off and back on their former pain regimen, the infusion is stopped (usually within a few days). I'm sure it's a safe enough drug when prescribed properly, but use outside that realm is another story.

Your sons attended a cool school! I know we never did things like that in my day! This is my daughter's first school pj party and i know it will be so much fun! I wish i could send her to school in pj's every day! The few minutes it would save each morning getting out the door would add up!

The dance classes are costly, like all activities nowadays. I spend $1700 a year on 2 dance and 1 gymnastics class, not including outfits and the mandatory recital costumes. I would estimate that is an additional $500 (including ballet/tap/hip hop shoes). I'm pretty sure as my daughter gets older, we will be adding more activities, too. I have no idea how someone on welfare pays any bills let alone has money leftover for extra-curricular activities. There must be another source of income coming in there.

My boyfriend just surprised me with the new pink camera I had been wanting for over a year. He thought it would cheer me up since I've been sad about my grandpa. R.I.P. grandpa, your with grandma now.

Sorry about your grandpa, Broken Levee. You do have a nice boyfriend :)

I was happy watching my daughter at hip hop class today. What a great dancer. Then she practiced for me tonight at home. Was happy to finish the final preparations for her birthday party next weekend. Happy to be getting ready to trick or treat tomorrow night, and happy the weather is expected to be close to 70 with no rain, AND that the clocks go back an hour and i won't be working a 13 hr. night shift like i did last year!!!

Sorry about your grandpa, Broken Levee. You do have a nice boyfriend :)

I was happy watching my daughter at hip hop class today. What a great dancer. Then she practiced for me tonight at home. Was happy to finish the final preparations for her birthday party next weekend. Happy to be getting ready to trick or treat tomorrow night, and happy the weather is expected to be close to 70 with no rain, AND that the clocks go back an hour and i won't be working a 13 hr. night shift like i did last year!!!

Thank you tangerine. He is wonderful. I don't think I could have gotten through this without him. I'm happy that were taking our son trick-or-treating tonight after the viewing. Grandpa wouldn't have wanted him to miss his first Halloween. Plus it should put us in a better mood after a sad event.

Thank you tangerine. He is wonderful. I don't think I could have gotten through this without him. I'm happy that were taking our son trick-or-treating tonight after the viewing. Grandpa wouldn't have wanted him to miss his first Halloween. Plus it should put us in a better mood after a sad event.

You're welcome! Enjoy Halloween with your son! What costume will he be wearing?