What Made You Happy today?

Hotplant

Had a fantastic weekend...topped by one of the happiest and most splendid Sundays in some time.

Weather of course was beautiful...sunny and blue skies and in the 70s.

Got up around 7am to hit the Record swap...got some groovy Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones boots. Saw the new Led Zeppelin II multitracks 4-disc set, but felt guilty and conflicted about getting it. Live concerts are one thing, but stolen studio tapes are another.

After spending about an hour at the swap, had breakfast at Figaro Cafe(brioche french toast and orange juice), then went to Westwood Village to the Hammer Museum. Every month they have a free family screening, where they show a family-friendly movie on a Sunday at 11am. Yesterday they were showing a version of "Alice in Wonderland" I had never seen: a 1972 British live-action adaptation with Peter Sellars, Dudley Moore, Ralph Richardson, Michael Crawford and many other Brits of that period. Very quirky and fun.

The movie was over around 12:30pm, so I took a stroll through the Alina Szapocznikow and Antony Hegarty(of Antony and the Johnsons fame) exhibits. Then, made a quick stop at the Hollywood Farmer's Market before going home and watching the rest of the LA Lakers vs. Miami Heat game. LAKERS WIN!!! :)

After the game, it was around 3pm, so I went for a hike up Bronson Canyon for an hour. Then back home, showered and dressed to meet a friend for dinner at Chan Dara Thai restaurant before taking her to see "Spamalot" at the Pantages Theatre at 6:30pm...the final performance of the run. Someone hooked me up with freebies (working part-time, "free" is my favourite word).

Laughed our sides silly...laughter is the best medicine...and afterwards, again thanks to the benevolence of my friend, was able to drop in the closing night party.

The rest of the night is a blur...probably tucked in around 3am. Exhausted but happy.

A solid six hours sleep and I was up at 9am today, refreshed and invigorated for the week.

The only quibbles I had about the day was I missed a phone call from a friend, and I'm having computer problems which is preventing me from updating my 1977 thread.

Edited by Strider

Had breakfast with friends, several of which I haven't seen in quite a while. It was lovely!

Strider - see Spamalot! It's marvelous!! And the Pantages is also marvelous - at least it was when I was last there in 1980 - something :)

As you can see from the above post, I chose "Spamalot". Actually, I had seen "Spamalot" before, when it arrived at the Ahmanson Theatre in 2009. This time, I was just waiting to see if someone I knew could come up with comps for either Swan Lake or Spamalot. When the freebies for Spamalot came thru, the decision was made for me, so-to-speak.

Don't worry, ebk, the Pantages is still as lovely as you remember it. I've seen at least 100 shows here...everything from Talking Heads to Wicked to Bob Dylan to Riverdance to Bruce Springsteen to The Lion King to the Cure. Not even the Guns n Roses show in 1991 could sully the place.

Had a fantastic weekend...topped by one of the happiest and most splendid Sundays in some time.

Weather of course was beautiful...sunny and blue skies and in the 70s.

Got up around 7am to hit the Record swap...got some groovy Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones boots. Saw the new Led Zeppelin II multitracks 4-disc set, but felt guilty and conflicted about getting it. Live concerts are one thing, but stolen studio tapes are another.

After spending about an hour at the swap, had breakfast at Figaro Cafe(brioche french toast and orange juice), then went to Westwood Village to the Hammer Museum. Every month they have a free family screening, where they show a family-friendly movie on a Sunday at 11am. Yesterday they were showing a version of "Alice in Wonderland" I had never seen: a 1972 British live-action adaptation with Peter Sellars, Dudley Moore, Ralph Richardson, Michael Crawford and many other Brits of that period. Very quirky and fun.

The movie was over around 12:30pm, so I took a stroll through the Alina Szapocznikow and Antony Hegarty(of Antony and the Johnsons fame) exhibits. Then, made a quick stop at the Hollywood Farmer's Market before going home and watching the rest of the LA Lakers vs. Miami Heat game. LAKERS WIN!!! :)

After the game, it was around 3pm, so I went for a hike up Bronson Canyon for an hour. Then back home, showered and dressed to meet a friend for dinner at Chan Dara Thai restaurant before taking her to see "Spamalot" at the Pantages Theatre at 6:30pm...the final performance of the run. Someone hooked me up with freebies (working part-time, "free" is my favourite word).

Laughed our sides silly...laughter is the best medicine...and afterwards, again thanks to the benevolence of my friend, was able to drop in the closing night party.

The rest of the night is a blur...probably tucked in around 3am. Exhausted but happy.

A solid six hours sleep and I was up at 9am today, refreshed and invigorated for the week.

The only quibbles I had about the day was I missed a phone call from a friend, and I'm having computer problems which is preventing me from updating my 1977 thread.

Sounds like a great day for you! Glad to hear it!!

:beer:

omg i would kill for that! the sleep, not the vimto ..... :)

Hi 'Slave' I think I was the manic day that my Daughter-in-law had on Saturday rather than the 'Vimto'

Shopping for Dresses for 'The Grenadier Guards' ladies dinner night from 9am-1.30pm, followed by Colouring our hair then doing all the other stuff that us ladies do before a night out.

We arrived at the Dinner at about 7 and had a Champagne Reception & photos taken, them had our meal that I must say was Amazing all cooked by Army chefs.

The Entertainment was a 'Take That' Tribute band and I must say that they were really good (not that I am a fan', there was a Disco by which time I had consumed a large amount of Alcohol and was up Dancing, we partyed till Midnight then went on to another Bar till 3am, finally got to bed at about 4.30 up again at 9 then had to leave my sons house to come home which is about 11/2 hrs drive.

The hole Night was Amazing the Raffle prizes are all Donations there were Diamonds & Gold as well as less expensive gifts in total there was 36 prizes even a Donation from Buckingham Palace.

The Idea of the Night is to Raise funds for 'The Grenadiers' who are in Afghanistan at the moment, to help Families of any Soldier that maybe wounded or Killed, so £ 25 a Ticket was a small price to pay for such a Wonderful evening..

'Cheeky Vimto' Recipe

1-2 oz of Port..

Bottle of WKD blue

Mixed together, shot of Vodka (optional)

As you can see from the above post, I chose "Spamalot". Actually, I had seen "Spamalot" before, when it arrived at the Ahmanson Theatre in 2009. This time, I was just waiting to see if someone I knew could come up with comps for either Swan Lake or Spamalot. When the freebies for Spamalot came thru, the decision was made for me, so-to-speak.

Don't worry, ebk, the Pantages is still as lovely as you remember it. I've seen at least 100 shows here...everything from Talking Heads to Wicked to Bob Dylan to Riverdance to Bruce Springsteen to The Lion King to the Cure. Not even the Guns n Roses show in 1991 could sully the place.

I'm glad to hear the Pantages is still the beauty it's always been. Hell, I'm glad to hear it's still open!!

Sounds like a marvelous day you had. :)

Hi 'Slave' I think I was the manic day that my Daughter-in-law had on Saturday rather than the 'Vimto'

Shopping for Dresses for 'The Grenadier Guards' ladies dinner night from 9am-1.30pm, followed by Colouring our hair then doing all the other stuff that us ladies do before a night out.

We arrived at the Dinner at about 7 and had a Champagne Reception & photos taken, them had our meal that I must say was Amazing all cooked by Army chefs.

The Entertainment was a 'Take That' Tribute band and I must say that they were really good (not that I am a fan', there was a Disco by which time I had consumed a large amount of Alcohol and was up Dancing, we partyed till Midnight then went on to another Bar till 3am, finally got to bed at about 4.30 up again at 9 then had to leave my sons house to come home which is about 11/2 hrs drive.

The hole Night was Amazing the Raffle prizes are all Donations there were Diamonds & Gold as well as less expensive gifts in total there was 36 prizes even a Donation from Buckingham Palace.

The Idea of the Night is to Raise funds for 'The Grenadiers' who are in Afghanistan at the moment, to help Families of any Soldier that maybe wounded or Killed, so £ 25 a Ticket was a small price to pay for such a Wonderful evening..

'Cheeky Vimto' Recipe

1-2 oz of Port..

Bottle of WKD blue

Mixed together, shot of Vodka (optional)

wow! what a great night! good onya! xo

I'm glad to hear the Pantages is still the beauty it's always been. Hell, I'm glad to hear it's still open!!

is that the place that ricki lee jones sings about in " chuck e's in love " .... " he was sittin behind us, down at the pantages .." ??? ( love that album )

Yes, slave, that's the place she is referring to in "Chuck E.'s in Love"...who, by the way, used to play regularly up the street in the 90s at the Cahuenga Gorky's. Chuck E. that is, not Ricki. What a great late-nite place Gorky's...both the downtown LA and Hollywood locations.

They mostly have musicals from Broadway, but every now and then, a band will play there. Here's the latest schedule: http://www.broadwayla.org/production/

Ok, what made me happy today? Just finished a late dinner of sausages and peppers and pasta at a place called Enzo's, with Frank Sinatra playing in the background.

Edited by Strider

Yes, slave, that's the place she is referring to in "Chuck E.'s in Love"...who, by the way, used to play regularly up the street in the 90s at the Cahuenga Gorky's. Chuck E. that is, not Ricki. What a great late-nite place Gorky's...both the downtown LA and Hollywood locations.

They mostly have musicals from Broadway, but every now and then, a band will play there. Here's the latest schedule: http://www.broadwayla.org/production/

Ok, what made me happy today? Just finished a late dinner of sausages and peppers and pasta at a place called Enzo's, with Frank Sinatra playing in the background.

cool! dunno who chuck e is though .....?

Topped off dinner with some tiramisu...let the food coma begin. :)

cool! dunno who chuck e is though .....?

Ahhh...where to begin with Mr. Chuck E. Weiss?

Chuck E. Weiss is an LA legend; one of those guys like Rodney Bingenheimer or Bob Forrest who seemingly was everywhere and knew everyone and yet never achieved the fame and fortune they should have.

Although Chuck E's considered a Los Angeles institution, he is from Denver and got his start there, meeting blues great Ligtning Hopkins at Ebbett's Field. From there, he met and played with a whole lotta greats: Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, Dr. John, Howlin' Wolf, Tom Waits.

He moved to LA in the late 70s. In fact, not only did Rickie sing a song about Chuck, but Tom Waits references him several times throughout his albums "Nighthawks at the Diner" and "Small Change". It was rumoured Rickie and Chuck had a fling, but it was really Tom Waits and her that had a romance. Of course, it was almost too perfect that all three of them lived at the late, great Tropicana Hotel...what the Chelsea is to New York, the Tropicana is to LA. The Chateau Marmont is too expensive and the Continental Hyatt too "touristy" and part of a national chain.

In LA, he played regular Monday night gigs at the Central club on Sunset, across the street from Tower Records and the Whisky. When the Central closed, he played his gigs at the Gorky's in Hollywood, mere blocks from the Pantages Theatre.

Later, he and Johnny Depp re-opened the Central, renaming it the Viper Room.

Chuck E. would usually play solo or with his band The Goddamn Liars. He's released a few albums and appeared on compilations. "Extremely Cool" from 1999 is probably his most widely known.

Anyway...now you know that Chuck E. is a real person.

Topped off dinner with some tiramisu...let the food coma begin. :)

Ahhh...where to begin with Mr. Chuck E. Weiss?

Chuck E. Weiss is an LA legend; one of those guys like Rodney Bingenheimer or Bob Forrest who seemingly was everywhere and knew everyone and yet never achieved the fame and fortune they should have.

Although Chuck E's considered a Los Angeles institution, he is from Denver and got his start there, meeting blues great Ligtning Hopkins at Ebbett's Field. From there, he met and played with a whole lotta greats: Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, Dr. John, Howlin' Wolf, Tom Waits.

He moved to LA in the late 70s. In fact, not only did Rickie sing a song about Chuck, but Tom Waits references him several times throughout his albums "Nighthawks at the Diner" and "Small Change". It was rumoured Rickie and Chuck had a fling, but it was really Tom Waits and her that had a romance. Of course, it was almost too perfect that all three of them lived at the late, great Tropicana Hotel...what the Chelsea is to New York, the Tropicana is to LA. The Chateau Marmont is too expensive and the Continental Hyatt too "touristy" and part of a national chain.

In LA, he played regular Monday night gigs at the Central club on Sunset, across the street from Tower Records and the Whisky. When the Central closed, he played his gigs at the Gorky's in Hollywood, mere blocks from the Pantages Theatre.

Later, he and Johnny Depp re-opened the Central, renaming it the Viper Room.

Chuck E. would usually play solo or with his band The Goddamn Liars. He's released a few albums and appeared on compilations. "Extremely Cool" from 1999 is probably his most widely known.

Anyway...now you know that Chuck E. is a real person.

wow! thanks for that, strider. i had no idea she was singing about a real person. so, how old is he? and how old is ricki now?

i played her album over and over when it came out. and have often wondered why she never had that kind of success again .... ( that record was really big here in oz )

Very nice schedule coming up! Makes me happy that there are some theatres out there with a strong season. Makes me sad that my theatre is lucky to see 2 or 3 shows a year coming through...

Strider, anything on the schedule that interests you?

Very nice schedule coming up! Makes me happy that there are some theatres out there with a strong season. Makes me sad that my theatre is lucky to see 2 or 3 shows a year coming through...

Strider, anything on the schedule that interests you?

The William Shatner show interested me, but unfortunately I already had plans booked for last night, and it was a one-night-only event.

The upcoming shows that I'll probably see are "Billy Elliot", "The Addams Family", "Million Dollar Quartet", "West Side Story" and "Priscilla Queen of the Desert". West Side Story is the only one of those that I have seen before.

Watching the LA Lakers beat the Boston Celtics today!!! :yay:

It's now 6pm and I just scored tickets for the sold out Zulawski screening tonight; a guy had a couple extras. :yay: :yay:

Edited by Strider

Jiminy Cricket! Am I the only one happy here? My posts are the last three posts over the last 4 days with no interruption. Weird.

So today I am one happy and proud Uncle Strider. My godson(technically I'm his godfather but we're close enough that he calls me uncle) and the rest of his High School Glee group were picked to sing the National Anthem before tonight's LA Clippers basketball game versus the Atlanta Hawks.

My friend spaced out on getting tickets thru the school for $20, and the school's allotment was sold out before he got around to asking. Fortunately we found some reasonable tix online this morning, so we'll be able to see the kids sing in person. We've also got the Tivo set up to record the Fox Sports West broadcast.

Now, we're just crossing our fingers they remember the words, haha.

Jiminy Cricket! Am I the only one happy here? My posts are the last three posts over the last 4 days with no interruption. Weird.

So today I am one happy and proud Uncle Strider. My godson(technically I'm his godfather but we're close enough that he calls me uncle) and the rest of his High School Glee group were picked to sing the National Anthem before tonight's LA Clippers basketball game versus the Atlanta Hawks.

My friend spaced out on getting tickets thru the school for $20, and the school's allotment was sold out before he got around to asking. Fortunately we found some reasonable tix online this morning, so we'll be able to see the kids sing in person. We've also got the Tivo set up to record the Fox Sports West broadcast.

Now, we're just crossing our fingers they remember the words, haha.

:cheer::thumbsup::banana::yay::bravo::tears::yourock::hurrah::party::gimmefive:

Okay, I admit, the icon thing is a little overboard...so what! The kid is singing the National freakin Anthem!

I hope I have all emotions covered..

Try to imagine how excited and nervous they were in front of that audience.

Wow.

^^^Thanks planted and Kate for the kind thoughts and support. My friend and I just arrived at Staples Center. It's about an hour before game-time. It will be a group of about 20 kids and they are singing in the key of F.

^^^Thanks planted and Kate for the kind thoughts and support. My friend and I just arrived at Staples Center. It's about an hour before game-time. It will be a group of about 20 kids and they are singing in the key of F.

'Strider' hope all went well, let us know if it can be seen on you-tube, I for 1 would love to see it.

What age group are they?...