Les Paul Guitar Color

Squeeze My Lemons

All les pauls from 58-60 (jimmy has a 58 and a 59) were made in cherry sunburst (the standards.) But gibson was really inconsistant. But for the most part they were all reddish. But as time goes on the finish of the guitars fade and the red darkens or is lost completely. This is called an "unburst". Jimmy got his guitar around '70 and that would've given the guitar about 10-12 years to age. Sunlight also plays a major factor. The longer you leave your guitar out in the sun the more it fades. Led Zeppelin was playing outdoors all the time and his guitaas would all be exposed to the sun.

jimmy page used a 1950's customized cherry sunburst number 1 les paul.It was remade by gibson as a number 2 and although it can still be found it is no longer made and is priced around 9,000$.Also Page origionaly used a 1950's telecaster with a custom paint job in 1968-1969. When performing live he used a black and white dan electro for some songs such In My Time of Dying, White Summer, and Kashmir. Also occasionaly he used a ice blue stratocaster for songs like In The Evening, and more recently For Your Life. He used a moroon Gibson EDS 1275 (the double necked guitar) for songs Stairway to Heaven, The Rain Song, The Song Remains The Same, and Achilles Last Stand (until he relised he could use his les paul ).

I thought Gibson had a Les Paul that is a Gold Boullion. It has to be the one Jimmy has at O2. It is a newer model. That guitar isnt old!!!!!!

he did use more than one les paul throught his career but it was his origional and the style his others were made in terms of bells and whistles not color.

All les pauls from 58-60 (jimmy has a 58 and a 60) were made in cherry sunburst. But gibson was really inconsistant. But for the most part they were all reddish. But as time goes on the finish of the guitars fade and the red darkens or is lost completely. This is called an "unburst". Jimmy got his guitar around '70 and that would've given the guitar about 10-12 years to age. Sunlight also plays a major factor. The longer you leave your guitar out in the sun the more it fades. Led Zeppelin was playing outdoors all the time and his guitaas would all be exposed to the sun.

You are correct, his favorite 59 was a Cherry Sunburst with a very light Flame Top !!!

He also had an original Les Paul Black Beauty (3 humbuckers) with a Bigsby tremelo that was used on a few tunes from the first couple albums. The shame of it all is that it was stolen at the airport in my home town Winnipeg, Manitoba. Not a cool thing to be known for but it happened, I think he's still pissed over it.

Jimmy if I ever see it around town I'll take it at gun point and fly it personally back home to ya !!!!!!

I think there is some video from their recent 2 dvd release, can't remember what song where he is playing the Black Beauty.

C'mon Everybody, Something Else & Bring It On Home - Royal Albert Hall - 1970

RjK

so what would the Gold Boullion look like?

The proper name for it is the Les Paul Goldtop. It has an opaque metallic gold finish as opposed to the clear lacquered appearance of the cherry, honey and tobacco burst finish. At one point real gold dust was used in the Goldtop finish, but not too many of those were made.

I won't post a picture here because it was not a guitar used by Jimmy Page,as far as I know but of course you can search.

John Lennon and The Edge are two who come to mind as notables who play Les Paul Goldtops.

• 1 month later...

I think it's funny that Jimmy no.1 guitar, quite possibly the most played guitar ever. Still has paint on it. Think about all the fender you seen that have the paint complety rubbed off. Jimmy's Guitar has some marks, but every famuous fender ive seen seemed to have been thrown from a truck. Heck more My Fender Bass looks shittier then the ol 58.

I have heard many different colors, so what is the official color of Jimmy Page's Les Paul. (not the red one)

well he has 2 les paul's the first one is a 1958 les paul the color whas heritage cherrey sunburst

the second one whas a 1959 that joe walsh the guitarrist of the eagles give to him and that's the famouse one the one whit diferent pick's the color of that one is honey burst it's almoust the same color but is not hahahah

The proper name for it is the Les Paul Goldtop. It has an opaque metallic gold finish as opposed to the clear lacquered appearance of the cherry, honey and tobacco burst finish. At one point real gold dust was used in the Goldtop finish, but not too many of those were made.

I won't post a picture here because it was not a guitar used by Jimmy Page,as far as I know but of course you can search.

John Lennon and The Edge are two who come to mind as notables who play Les Paul Goldtops.

OK. So what is the name of the Gibson Les Paul that Jimmy Page used at O2. I mean the color? Is it honeyburst or gold boullion??? Because Les Paul (Gibson) has both on their list. I dont know the differance between Gold Boullion and Honey Burst. Does anyone here know for sure????

Over the years I heard Tobacco or Honey Burst. Here's the Honey Burst Les Paul Standard direct from Gibson's website:

lp5_hbnh.jpg

\

This guitar is beautiful!! I used to have a 1982 Black Beauty with the cream color outline and of course the pearl inlays on the frets. It was a standard. Still kick myself for selliing it to the fucking con artist prick dealer that paid $350 for it back around 89 when I was in financial trouble. Now I am going to get a new one, and it must be a standard. Studio is a rip off and pure shit. custom is great but you are just paying extra for gold instead of silver. Actually prefer silver. So what to do??? Once you take the plunge and make the purchase it is a done deal. And I am looking for the guitar to last me forever this time. Want a Les Paul Standard honey or gold. 50 or 10 watt Marshall amp and MXR box distortion, and a Taylor acoustic/electric. (it Im 50, but look younger and want to consider forming a band. Want to play Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Eagles and all the great stuff from the 70s. Remember, all music after the mid to late 80s is pure shit anyways, and I would rather play 50s than the crap they put out now. Off the subject, I am listening to Dr johnson, that horny old broad on late night cabel .telling this woman to lubricate her anal area before her boyfriend sticks either his dick or a toy in there. And they are dead ass serious. What fucking entertainment there is onTV these days! lol. Anal stimulators (batteries not included) seem to be a hot item. Not wiith this non gay! Dr Sue Johnson is on. Oh what fun!! Sicko-psycho sex animals. Sex is great, dont get me wrong but these people are sick. Fucking want it where it wasnt meant to be placed. Back to music, I want a Les Paul and a Taylor. But mama will only allow one. What do I do? I am a 50 yr old with the drive of a 25 yr old (musicaly and sexually) and I dont know which is the smarter choice of guitars? I am leaning towards the LP now. Want to form a band. ) I know its only rock n roll but I like it!

About all old fender's lookin more worn than Page's.... well most strats are primed and painted, so it can chip off, where the finish like Page's is stained into the wood.

The Black Beauty was Page's number 1 til he lost it, and is the only LP he plays at RAH on the dvd.

About all old fender's lookin more worn than Page's.... well most strats are primed and painted, so it can chip off, where the finish like Page's is stained into the wood.

The Black Beauty was Page's number 1 til he lost it, and is the only LP he plays at RAH on the dvd.

It wasn't really his "number one." He called his les paul number one because it was his favorite. He mainly used his sunburst les paul.

And to answer the color of his guitar...

All les pauls from 58-60 (jimmy has a 58 and a 59) were made in cherry sunburst (the standards.) But gibson was really inconsistant. But for the most part they were all reddish. But as time goes on the finish of the guitars fade and the red darkens or is lost completely. This is called an "unburst". Jimmy got his guitar around '70 and that would've given the guitar about 10-12 years to age. Sunlight also plays a major factor. The longer you leave your guitar out in the sun the more it fades. Led Zeppelin was playing outdoors all the time and his guitaas would all be exposed to the sun.

The modern Les Pauls from Gibson come in a Desert Sunburst that looks a very good bit like JP's Les Paul.

I'm not saying it's the same because it's already been well established that it is cherry because of the year it was made, and it has faded to obtain its current color.

But if you don't want to let your LP sit in the sun for years.... Go with a Desert Sunburst.

I'm a little puzzled by the question. Are we referring to his original or his re-issue?

Anyway, a bit of history. Up until 1958, all Les Pauls were gold. Called "Goldtops". The modern reissues of those guitars (and the optional color on standard models) is called Gold Boullion.

In 1958 Gibson changed from a gold finish to a sunburst finish. It was just called "sunburst". This model ended in 1960 and was replaced by the SG (think Angus Young's guitar). That is in fact a Les Paul model and was the only Les Paul available for the better part of the 60's. Gibson re-introduced the Les Paul Standard, Deluxe and Custom at the end of the decade alongside the SG.

As for Jimmy's reissue, the color is a custom color that is called a "Pageburst". Different from the Heritage, Amber, Honey, Desert, etc. It is unique to his model.

Hope that clears it up. :beer:

Oh, and BTW, the 50's LPs in gold and sunburst were the "Standard" models. The Les Paul Customs of the era came in Tuxedo Black.

Like others have said, the terms "Honey Burst", "Tobacco Burst", "Heritage Cherry Sunburst", etc, are all modern terms and descriptions. At the time the '58-'60 Les Pauls were made, they were simply Sunburst. But over time, they all came to look different...some have more of a Honey Burst look, some have that brownish Tobacco Burst look. So sounds like the question is "what modern color best describes Jimmy's vintage Les Paul?" I've always thought it looked a bit Honey Burst-ish. It's not very flamey, it's more dull as far as stripes/flames go.

As far as what Jimmy used onstage at the O2 reunion...I wonder which guitar he actually uses live nowadays. He quite possibly doesn't play his original vintage instrument anymore because of value. He had a identical copy made by Gibson's Custom Shop in 1992 (I think), and he also kept the #1 reissue from the series of Jimmy Page signature series Les Pauls a couple of years ago, which is also an exact copy of his vintage guitar, right down to every scratch and cigarette burn.

Archived