Best Thank You

mrzinj

I love the guitar solo in Thank You from Blueberry Hill (1970.09.04). Are there any other guitar solos and/or versions of this song that stand out to anyone? I've searched the Led Zep Live forum and can't find any previous threads on this. Thank you!....... pun intended :peace:

Love all the versions mentioned here. Either the Blueberry Hill and MSG from 73 are my faves. Other good ones are the BBC Paris Theatre version and 6/25/72 from Los Angeles. Wish they hadn't left that off of HTWWW.

Love all the versions mentioned here. [...] 6/25/72 from Los Angeles. Wish they hadn't left that off of HTWWW.

Agreed on both points! That 1972 rendition is a close second-favourite (with a preference for the opening organ solo, for obvious reasons).

Lets be honest, is there even a bad version to begin with? Last I checked, every version of this song that I've ever heard is brilliant.

I can't think of a bad one either. So many great shows from 1970-3 too!

To me Thank You is one of the best live songs they ever did. Just so good live and just annihilates the studio version. Just can't compare. Such a difference between the two. Probably thee live version of any song that is so much better than the studio. There are others and is a matter of choice I guess as well!

Too funny! i thought the same thing. "where in the hell did they get THIS?" I was sooo excited ... and then ..... oh, i see ..... :)

That scared me - I thought it was actual video of the performance! :P

To me Thank You is one of the best live songs they ever did. Just so good live and just annihilates the studio version. Just can't compare. Such a difference between the two. Probably thee live version of any song that is so much better than the studio. There are others and is a matter of choice I guess as well!

The studio version has Pagey's backing vocals!

Too funny! i thought the same thing. "where in the hell did they get THIS?" I was sooo excited ... and then ..... oh, i see ..... :)

Hopefully one day! Although, reading more and more about the filming of those concerts, I wouldn't be surprised if the performance wasn't captured...

• 2 weeks later...

There are so many amazing versions of this song, I could never pick out just one.

My current faves would be:

-3/7/70. Intense solo.

-9/4/70. Classic performance.

-4/1/71. Jimmy's best ever live solo in my opinion. So inspired, and the perfect length.

-8/31/71. Again, intense.

-7/29/73. Last performance of the song. Lost some intensity that the 70-72 versions had, but this version is just great.

Like whats been said earlier, there isn't a bad version of this song. Even Southampton 1/22/73, which has a reputation for being a bit sloppy has a good version of Thank You.

• 1 month later...

Somehow I missed Thank You live though I had a few bootlegs (I think i assumed it would be like the studio version so not too exciting live) until I discovered 1971-08-31 Orlando. I was blown away by the solo. It was my reference version for a very long time as I could not find any that sounded as good and clear. But eventually I revisited BBC Sessions and found it was almost exactly the same solo and it was studio quality so it became my reference version. If other versions mentioned in face have better solos i guess I should try them but its hard to give up the sound quality from BBC Sessions.

• 3 months later...

Thank You is my favorite song for years so I'm a good person for this (hopefully lol) Blueberry Hill 70, MSG 9/19/70', Vancouver 70' BCC Sessions, Orlando 71, The Forum 72' Inglewood 73' MSG 73' but the two best are from Alexandria Palace 72' and Southampton 73'. The solo at Southampton is over 4 minutes and will be the best solo you will ever hear! I promise it's better than sex. ;)

Archived