The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

Michael Nesmith died today, leaving Mickey Dolenz as the last surviving member of The Monkees. I thought they were pretty good for what started out as a manufactured band. I still think it hilarious that Jimi Hendrix was their opening act once. Those teenyboppers got quite the musical education that night.

1 hour ago, Electrophile said:

Michael Nesmith died today, leaving Mickey Dolenz as the last surviving member of The Monkees. I thought they were pretty good for what started out as a manufactured band. I still think it hilarious that Jimi Hendrix was their opening act once. Those teenyboppers got quite the musical education that night.

R.I.P. Mike Nesmith (Monkees, Video Pioneer)

RšŸ˜Ž

D0542F48-5A2F-4F5D-AA3B-4CCE25D7C06E.jpeg

On 12/10/2021 at 12:53 PM, Strider said:

There goes another piece of my childhood. My favourite Monkee. R.I.P. Michael Nesmith.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/michael-nesmith-dead-monkees-1235130849/

Ā 

What a shame, all of our childhood hero's, the musicians, actors, astronauts, you name it are all exiting the stage. It's almost as if a piece of history, a seed of memory is passing as well.

Damn. Two fine writers have died. First, the great Irish poet Thomas Kinsella passed away yesterday. Lived to a ripe old age of 93.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/thomas-kinsella-one-of-ireland-s-finest-poets-has-died-aged-93-1.4762187

image.jpg.47d61d402e71e405924abe28d3bea0b2.jpg

Ā 

This morning came the news about Joan Didion passing at age 87. Born in Sacramento, California, she could fascinate and exasperate me in equal measure. Rest In Peace, Joan Didion. Whatever happens after death, I hope your spirit is now reunited with your late husband and daughter, John and Quintana.

7ddc0e37953158b0075e08513973d166.jpg.8813b128fdb2a4449ba9f077a79c62e6.jpg

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/23/375431790/joan-didion-obituary

Edited by Strider

Just now, Stryder1978 said:

I haven't watched an NFL game in over 5 years now - ever since Copperdick and Goodell politicized it, but very sorry to hear of the loss of John Madden yesterday.Ā  Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

John Madden -- great coach and even greater commentator. He really made the game entertaining to watch from home.

Yes! Screw the woke NFL with their female commentators, WWF-style touchdown celebrations and virtue signaling bullshit.Ā Ā 

I'm a little too young to remember John as a coach of the Oakland Raiders--and they will always be the Oakland Raidersā€-but I loved John as a broadcaster.

Madden and Summerall were perhaps the greatest duo to call the action. Now, they're both watching the game from above. RIP....

Edited by paul carruthers

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

John Madden -- great coach and even greater commentator. He really made the game entertaining to watch from home.

Yes! Screw the woke NFL with their female commentators, WWF-style touchdown celebrations and virtue signaling bullshit.Ā Ā 

Exactly .... ā€œboom!ā€ Rip John MaddenĀ 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32953839/nfl-hall-fame-coach-broadcasting-icon-john-madden-dies-85?

RšŸ˜Ž

I grew up a Raiders fan. I spent my formative years watching John Madden coach the Oakland Raiders all through the 1970s. So yeah...his passing leaves me shook. Verklempt, as you might say. One of the few people who justified the phrase "larger than life". R.I.P. John Madden. Condolences to his family. Long live theĀ Turducken!

john-madden-football-dead-06-ap-llr-211228_1640738568944_hpEmbed_4x5_992.jpg.3141c6d36573cccc650f010ba398bfc3.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Strider

13 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I'm a little too young to remember John as a coach of the Oakland Raiders.

My first Super Bowl memory/party was my motherā€™s best friend, who was a Raiders fan. We went to her apartment and watched the Raiders/Vikings 1977 Super Bowl. Coach Madden at the helm. Great coach and ambassador for the sport. RIPĀ 

6 hours ago, Strider said:

I grew up a Raiders fan. I spent my formative years watching John Madden coach the Oakland Raiders all through the 1970s. So yeah...his passing leaves me shook. Verklempt, as you might say. One of the few people who justified the phrase "larger than life". R.I.P. John Madden. Condolences to his family. Long live theĀ Turducken!

john-madden-football-dead-06-ap-llr-211228_1640738568944_hpEmbed_4x5_992.jpg.3141c6d36573cccc650f010ba398bfc3.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Sad for you and RaiderNation. :(Ā 

14 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

I haven't watched an NFL game in over 5 years now - ever since Copperdick and Goodell politicized it, but very sorry to hear of the loss of John Madden yesterday.Ā  Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Funny but based on the fact you havenā€™t watched Ā a game in 5 years means YOUā€™VE politicized it. Everyone else has moved on. You be you though.