The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

3 hours ago, the chase said:

Rest In Peace Mark Goddard - Major Donald West on the classic Lost In Space 

1936-2023  Aged 87 - from Pulmonary Fibrosis - 

Wonderful Actor, Husband, Father, School Teacher and a huge Celtics Fan. 

Biggest show of my childhood by far .  - I still record it on MeTv every Saturday.. even though I have the DVD series. "Why Smith!!!!! I outta !!!!"

Rest In Peace Major. 

image.png.353c97513cc332dcf4302a4ca37352fe.png

You nailed my sentiments exactly. What a great show. RIP Major West.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

You nailed my sentiments exactly. What a great show. RIP Major West.

Thanks Sean.. We're pretty much the same age., so I'm sure it had the same impact for both of us.. My older brother was a huge fan as well.

Pulmonary Fibrosis is a horrible illness with no cure that often goes undiagnosed.  Lost my Father to it 10 years ago. Sad to hear Mark had to go through it too. 

RIP to Alistair Bark, known here as ally

Those of you who were on this forum in its early days (and I see a few familiar names from then) will surely remember ally. He was such a great guy, always had something kind or helpful to contribute, and loved Led Zeppelin above all other bands. I was quite jealous that he saw LZ live several times in his youth in Vancouver, BC. We became friends here first, then on Facebook, and met in person once for a Rush concert. His son posted on FB that he passed away yesterday.

Will miss you ally, one of Zeppelin's greatest fans ever!!! 

30 minutes ago, Angel With A Broken Wing said:

Those of you who were on this forum in its early days (and I see a few familiar names from then) will surely remember ally. He was such a great guy, always had something kind or helpful to contribute, and loved Led Zeppelin above all other bands. I was quite jealous that he saw LZ live several times in his youth in Vancouver, BC. We became friends here first, then on Facebook, and met in person once for a Rush concert. His son posted on FB that he passed away yesterday.

This is so very sad.  He was always so kind to me when I first joined up here and things were a bit...chaotic (not that that has changed...).  

All good thoughts to his family.  Thank you for letting us know. 

1 hour ago, Angel With A Broken Wing said:

ally was an even-keeled gentleman, an intelligent poster,  and I recall him wishing us in the U.S. a happy 4th of July many years ago.
Condolences to his family. Rest in peace our Zeppelin brother.

3 hours ago, Angel With A Broken Wing said:

I remember Ally, who became a friend of mine through this forum. In February 2008, we began to privately discuss a previously unreleased Led Zeppelin cassette recording in his possession. Ultimately, it was shared in a 100% non-profit manner with others. We continued to collaborate on other topics and projects for a few years. On August 16, 2010 I visited Ally at his home in British Columbia. He was accompanied by his sons and soon-to-be daughter in law.  We discussed Granville Street in Vancouver, where he spent much of his childhood. He cautioned me that it had changed considerably since then. I spent the remainder of that day exploring Vancouver and Granville Street in particular. Time moved on and we fell out of touch, but I'll always remember our friendship well. My sincere condolences to Alistair's family and friends. Steve A. Jones   

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.com
Subject: Mar 21/70 Vancouver Aka Pb
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 23:20:50 -0800

I have a complete tape of that show, orginal tape that was recorded by my Buddy's who were on the floor for that show. It needs to be enhanced in some fashion but I as I'm not a Pro.. have no clue how to do it I would like to give it to you and if you can do something with it ...please do. When your back at home base... remind me to send it to you . It is a bit of history and, I can't think of anyone more worthy of protecting it

<redacted emails>

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.com
Subject: My portion rewrite
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:17:32 -0800

This was the first time that I got to see the band live. What a show !

The night began with some lighting problems but this did not stop the band from kicking out the most incredible sound I'd ever heard.

Thundering drums, raging guitars powerful vocals This was the opening night of the North American tour and the band was in fine form. Because of the sheer energy, it took me about 20 min. to realize what I was experiencing.Every concert I've been to since is measured against this one. Great music, great atmosphier, Magic

As for the tape, I was sitting in the low blue section of the Pacific Coliseum about midway to the stage. My friend was on the floor.

I had no idea that he was going to tape the show. Day's after the show, all was revealed. We were listening to his tape long before Pb was released and although it was recorded and played back on an old portable cassette recorder, we were quite happy to have a keep sake from the show. He and I lost contact for many years and by chance ran into each other in the mid 80's. He told me he still had the tape and through a trade for Melancholy Danish Pageboy's I aquired it. We haven't seen each other since. I alway's felt that one day I would like to try and do something with it but forgot about it untill recently. Through the FORUM I made contact with Steve,.....

You take it from here Steve, I think this is more ..to the point but feel free to edit any part of this.....Alistair

Sent Feb 27, 2008 to various forums and private contacts:

LED ZEPPELIN CONCERT RECORDING TO BE RELEASED:

Vancouver March 21st 1970 (Alternate audience source)

Led Zeppelin’s official website, www.ledzeppelin.com, was launched November 20th 2008. I’d been a member of it’s previous incarnations for over ten years, and when it went official I decided I would contribute whatever I could to help make it the ultimate online destination for Led Zeppelin’s fans.

In the course of doing so, I began collaborating with a lifelong fan and fellow member of the site’s forum concerning a Jimmy Page project I am working on. Several weeks into our exchanges he mentioned he was in sole possession of a previously unreleased Led Zeppelin master cassette recording from their legendary performance at the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver on March 21st 1970 and expressed his desire for me to have it for my archive.

I suggested it would be best if the cassette was analyzed for authenticity, with the further understanding that if it was found to be both playable and legitimate, we could pursue a non-profit method of sharing it with the larger Led Zeppelin community. He expressed full support for doing so, provided his anonymity could be retained. At this point I contacted my friend Nech, who I’d commissioned to preserve a number of my analog master tapes in previous years with amazing results.

Nech is co-admin of For Badgeholders Only – The Led Zeppelin Mailing List, or FBO for short. FBO subscribers receive the latest news and information concerning Led Zeppelin via individual emails or a daily digest. There are a number of highly respected, reputable contributors to be found there, and my own affiliation with that list goes back to 1998. It was my familiarity with FBO which convinced me this tape could be released in the non-profit manner in which it was intended.

Nech was granted possession of the master cassette and verified the tape contents. He confirmed it to be an audience master cassette of approximately 30 minutes in length. He indicated that by far it is not a great recording, as after all it has aged 38 years, but that it does contain two previously unreleased tracks (albeit with cuts): ‘I Can’t Quit You Babe’ & ‘Dazed And Confused’. It also features the band introductions, stray audience commentary and a wild intro to ‘Heartbreaker’.

It was transferred very carefully by Nech via NAK BX300 with azimuth adjusted for max freq output> RME 96/8 DIGIPAD at 96/24 bit and will be mastered with Samplitude 9 Pro. Of course, the raw untouched (other than dithering down to 44.1/16 for CD) version will be offered up along with what he hopes to be the best his hands, eyes and ears can do with it.

Nech will oversee getting as many torrents going of this at once to get this directly into the hands of fans at no cost and you can rest assured no bootleggers can ever truthfully claim they have a non torrented source. This release is an FBO exclusive for FBO members. To subscribe visit: http://www.oldbuckeye.com/badgeholders.html

Non-subscribers may contact either Nech or myself for further assistance.

Nech, “Al” and I have each recently experienced the loss of loved ones from our family circles. It is this tragic circumstance, this common bond which inspired our actions every step of the way -- we thought we’d do what we could in the time we’ve been given.

A digital copy of this recording will be sent to Jimmy Page for his personal archive.

Steve A. Jones

The Tale of The Tape

Vancouver March 21st 1970 (Alternate audience source)

I got tickets for the show as a birthday gift. My first Zeppelin concert and what a show! The night began with some lighting problems but this did not stop the band from kicking out the most incredible sound I'd ever heard: thundering drums, raging guitars, powerful vocals. This was the opening night of the North American tour and the band was in fine form.

Because of the sheer energy, it took me about 20 minutes to realize what I was experiencing. Every concert I've been to since has been measured against this one’s great music and atmosphere. It was magic! This concert put Vancouver on the map as far as being a town that could host a big act like Led Zeppelin and the audience was electric because of it.

The concert was reserved seating and I was sitting in the low blue section of the Pacific Coliseum, on John Paul Jones’ side about half-way back. My friends were on the floor and had been to all the previous Led Zeppelin gigs in Vancouver. I was unaware of their plans to tape this show. Long before the famous bootleg ‘Pb’ was released, we were listening to our audience recording which was taped using an old portable cassette player.

Over the years all of us lost track of one another and my memory of that recording was forgotten until I caught up with the taper in the mid 1980's. I had been pursuing live Led Zeppelin material and had a copy of the ‘Melancholy Page Boys’ bootleg. We got to talking about that old cassette recording he had and he said he was willing to trade it for my copy of ‘Melancholy Page Boys’. The deal was made and I haven’t seen him since.

With the advent of the computer age I began to think someone out there could do something to preserve the recording, but never really pursued doing anything about it. I joined www.ledzeppelin.com to follow the excitement of the 02 Arena show and shortly thereafter began to correspond with Steve concerning some other projects he’s working on. As we collaborated I mentioned this 38-year-old cassette I had.

A great show and I hope everyone will enjoy this addition to Led Zeppelin’s legacy!

“Al”

ally.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

On 10/15/2023 at 4:21 PM, Angel With A Broken Wing said:

Awww, man. What sad news. Good ol' Ally. He was very active on the NHL threads about his Vancouver Canucks. One of the oldest message threads I have in my archive is from Ally...from about 10 years ago. Thanks for letting us know about his passing. Condolences and sympathies to Alistair's family. R.I.P.