The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

On 12/8/2023 at 1:55 AM, SteveAJones said:

The commercials are the worst. Every single one has an obligatory black in a starring role.

Funny you should mention that.  One weekend I had nothing better to do so I kept track of all the commercials on TV Friday night through Sunday night.  I did the math that Monday and found that 87.2% of all the commercials I watched featured a black person (NOT a person of color, i.e., Asian, Hispanic, Native American, etc.) in a major role in each ad.  If you were coming from a foreign country to visit here, and judged the US demographic by watching TV in your hotel room, you'd thin the U.S. comprised of 90% blacks, rather than the 14% that actually reside here!    

6 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Funny you should mention that.  One weekend I had nothing better to do so I kept track of all the commercials on TV Friday night through Sunday night.  I did the math that Monday and found that 87.2% of all the commercials I watched featured a black person (NOT a person of color, i.e., Asian, Hispanic, Native American, etc.) in a major role in each ad.  If you were coming from a foreign country to visit here, and judged the US demographic by watching TV in your hotel room, you'd thin the U.S. comprised of 90% blacks, rather than the 14% that actually reside here!    

gotta get rid of whitey

16 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

What's even more insulting is on rare occasion when a straight white male is included in a commercial they are almost always portrayed as inconsequential, an idiot or a cuckold. 

This will keep you up at night. In 1970 the population of London was nearly 91% white. In 2023? 39%...and falling. 

Edited by SteveAJones

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

What's even more insulting is on rare occasion when a straight white male is included in a commercial they are almost always portrayed as inconsequential, an idiot or a cuckold. 

This will keep you up at night. In 1970 the population of London was nearly 91% white. In 2023? 39%...and falling. 

So much for majority rule

Funny it's the same here. Ads (almost) always now are mainly mixed race or Black. The white person is in the minority and is portrayed as @SteveAJones puts it as an Idiot  . The worst ad currently on view is for (ironically) Maltesers. A Black family are in the living room and the Grandmother, who is black, introduces her new partner to the rest of the family. Sure enough the partner is a doddery old, thick white guy and the horror on the faces of the family are apparent. Que said old white guy who brings out a bag of the Maltesers and all is good. 

I understand that we live in a heavily multi cultural Country. However, If I lived in India, would I expect ads to contain 90% white western people? I think not.

5 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

But The Kalergi Plan is a conspiracy theory of the extreme right and blablabla.

Just a glance at Europe today and a few years ago is enough. Even in the national football teams.

The white guilt audience. Let us abort. 😄

Dixie Chicks co-founder Laura Lynch dead at 65 after head-on collision

Laura Lynch, center, performs with the Dixie Chicks in 1993. (Everett Collection)
Laura Lynch, center, performs with the Dixie Chicks in 1993. (Everett Collection)

By JAMI GANZ | jganz@nydailynews.com | New York Daily News and JAGER WEATHERBY | eweatherby@nydailynews.com | New York Daily News
PUBLISHED: December 23, 2023 at 3:17 p.m. | UPDATED: December 23, 2023 at 5:22 p.m.

Laura Lynch, a founding member of The Chicks — formerly The Dixie Chicks — has died in a car accident in Texas. She was 65.

The musician died following a highway collision outside of El Paso on Friday, her cousin, Mike Lynch, told TMZ.

The Texas Department of Public Safety later confirmed Lynch’s death to the outlet. Their preliminary investigation shows she was heading east on a two-way portion of Highway 62 when another car heading west attempted to pass a third vehicle in front of it.

Lynch’s vehicle was hit head-on by the passing car. The driver of that vehicle was taken to a hospital. Their injuries are reported to be non-life-threatening. Lynch was pronounced dead at the scene.

The upright bass player-turned-singer co-founded the Dallas-based country group in 1989, alongside Robyn Lynn Macy and sisters Martie Maguire and Emily Strayer (nee Erwin). She left the group in 1995 following the release of three albums, but prior to the band hitting it big. She was then replaced by lead singer Natalie Maines.

“We are shocked and saddened to learn of the passing of Laura Lynch, a founding member of The Chicks,” the band said in a statement on Instagram. “We hold a special place in our hearts for the time we spent playing music, laughing and traveling together. Laura was a bright light…her infectious energy and humor gave a spark to the early days of our band.”

The Chicks attributed the band’s success to Lynch’s “undeniable talents,” which they said “helped propel us beyond busking on street corners to stages all across Texas and the Midwest.

“Our thoughts are with her family and loved ones at this sad time,” they concluded.

The name of the band reportedly stemmed from Lynch’s suggestion they refer to themselves as Dixie Chickens, she told Entertainment Tonight in the early 1990s. With the rest of the members hesitant “about being called chickens,” they ultimately settled on The Dixie Chicks.

At the time of publication, the surviving members of The Chicks have not individually commented on Lynch’s passing.

Lynch is survived by husband Mac Tull and the couple’s daughter.