The Best Zep Tribute?

Zoso2112

ok so I went to see Get The Led Out tonight...

let's just say we have some creative differences. I think they do a great job of recreating the sound that's on the albums. I enjoyed being able to watch them reproduce it. What I didn't enjoy was the lack of spontaneity. It just seemed very much like what I've been listening to forever. It was very predictable and I don't feel like rock music should be, even if it is the Led Zeppelin material that I've loved for years.

Think about what happens when an artist needs to make an official replica of a movie prop. They need to pay attention to every detail that the original prop has. This is exactly what Get The Led Out has done. They've taken the Led Zeppelin catalog and reproduced a live studio version.

For instance, the start of Black Dog began with the slashing effect that is on the album. I thought this was kind of cheesy and unnecessary. The more experienced fan might understand that the Black Dog intro was usually either the Out on The Tiles intro or the Bring it On Home riff.

(although they didn't do a Black Dog intro at the O2 Gig. of course there wasn't any slashing that I could tell either)

There were all sorts of things that were recreated that just kind of made me go "blah". From vocals to guitars to drums. It seemed a little too manufactured.

There was one point in Dazed and Confused where one of the guitar players pulls out a bow and plays around for a little bit with it. Just before the part where Jimmy would have done the delay bow pointing shtick, they end the solo and go back into the main riff. BOOOOOO!

I recommend taking a new Led Zeppelin fan to see Get The Led Out.

If you've been into Led Zeppelin for a while now and you've come to appreciate the live Led Zeppelin sound, then you might want to stay away from Get The Led Out.

Otherwise, you could always just get drunk like the people next to us and have a good time either way.

They should have called themselves Red Zepprin.

although perhaps slightly racist, that made me chuckle. now i feel like a bad person. oh well, that's nothing new.

anyway, the only zeppelin tribute i've seen is just a local one in oregon that recently broke up called Stairway Denied. They did not try to imitate the look at all. I liked that because to me it seems cheesy and never comes out quite right. Instead they did an excellent job of capturing the intricacies of the studio recordings by adding a second guitarist, combined with the intensity and improvisation from the live stuff. And although the singer's tone was not exactly identical to plant's it was very similar, and just as thrilling to listen to. I saw them twice and loved both shows.

My favorite however, is Dread Zeppelin. They're just soooo entertaining.

ok so I went to see Get The Led Out tonight...

let's just say we have some creative differences. I think they do a great job of recreating the sound that's on the albums. I enjoyed being able to watch them reproduce it. What I didn't enjoy was the lack of spontaneity. It just seemed very much like what I've been listening to forever. It was very predictable and I don't feel like rock music should be, even if it is the Led Zeppelin material that I've loved for years.

Think about what happens when an artist needs to make an official replica of a movie prop. They need to pay attention to every detail that the original prop has. This is exactly what Get The Led Out has done. They've taken the Led Zeppelin catalog and reproduced a live studio version.

For instance, the start of Black Dog began with the slashing effect that is on the album. I thought this was kind of cheesy and unnecessary. The more experienced fan might understand that the Black Dog intro was usually either the Out on The Tiles intro or the Bring it On Home riff.

(although they didn't do a Black Dog intro at the O2 Gig. of course there wasn't any slashing that I could tell either)

There were all sorts of things that were recreated that just kind of made me go "blah". From vocals to guitars to drums. It seemed a little too manufactured.

There was one point in Dazed and Confused where one of the guitar players pulls out a bow and plays around for a little bit with it. Just before the part where Jimmy would have done the delay bow pointing shtick, they end the solo and go back into the main riff. BOOOOOO!

I recommend taking a new Led Zeppelin fan to see Get The Led Out.

If you've been into Led Zeppelin for a while now and you've come to appreciate the live Led Zeppelin sound, then you might want to stay away from Get The Led Out.

Otherwise, you could always just get drunk like the people next to us and have a good time either way.

OH MY GOSH, finally someone that understands me. This is EXACTLY what I think. When you do a tribute band you have to do the live versions of the songs, Mr. Jimmy does exactly this. I don't see why you would join a Led-Zeppelin tribute band if you are not totally into them and reproducing their LIVE show/sound. Looking like them comes second of course.

I totally agree.

When our guitarist, Mike, auditioned me he said forget about the look we are going to be a soundalike only.

Also he said we are aiming to recreate the LIVE sound NOT the studio recordings.

I thought oooh thats a bit wierd!

Now I think, "how could it have ever been any different?"

We started out by listening to everything, album versions, The Song Remains the Same, and How the West was Won, as well as selected bootlegs that Mike recorded. He had certain bits that he really wanted to try and emulate.

As a result our versions of songs like WLL, D&C, HMMT, SIBLY, etc are not exactly like any version you ever heard. They are not even the same on any two nights.

We have been told that we are not like any other tribute, because we don't seek to slavishly copy but we actually get right into the soul of the original.

I can't claim to be a perfect Robert as I doubt if anyone ever will be.

His voice is VERY distinctive. But the rest of the band and the overall sound is scarily close.

Other tributes here in Britain have started to try to copy us with the live thing, but none of them have the chemistry that we seem to have and that's something that can't be learned.

If we played on the same stage as Mr Jimmy we would ultimately blow them away.

I totally agree.

When our guitarist, Mike, auditioned me he said forget about the look we are going to be a soundalike only.

Also he said we are aiming to recreate the LIVE sound NOT the studio recordings.

I thought oooh thats a bit wierd!

Now I think, "how could it have ever been any different?"

We started out by listening to everything, album versions, The Song Remains the Same, and How the West was Won, as well as selected bootlegs that Mike recorded. He had certain bits that he really wanted to try and emulate.

As a result our versions of songs like WLL, D&C, HMMT, SIBLY, etc are not exactly like any version you ever heard. They are not even the same on any two nights.

We have been told that we are not like any other tribute, because we don't seek to slavishly copy but we actually get right into the soul of the original.

I can't claim to be a perfect Robert as I doubt if anyone ever will be.

His voice is VERY distinctive. But the rest of the band and the overall sound is scarily close.

Other tributes here in Britain have started to try to copy us with the live thing, but none of them have the chemistry that we seem to have and that's something that can't be learned.

If we played on the same stage as Mr Jimmy we would ultimately blow them away.

Um, thats a bit cocky? You guys are pretty good. Better then most tribute bands that I've heard. But Mr. Jimmy replicates everthing; same amps, same EXACT outfits on every single tour, (different tours had different sets), and they do every single tour that zep did. In my opinion you guys aren't as good. BUT don't get me wrong, you guys are really a lot better than most led zeppelin tribute bands.

I have to say those cuts by the first poster were scary good!!

Led Zepagain is a great act that I'm happy to cll my friends!!

To the poster who mentioned the former drummer of Zoso, his name is Greg Thompson, and I've known him since he was a 10 year-old who let me and my pal bang on his drum kit in his mom's garage when we were kids. A great guy. If you're reading this Pink Panther, a giant hello!! :beer:

I saw The White (I think from California) about...15 years ago (!) in a small club.

They were great. <_<

About same time i heard the news about reunion, Led Zepplica tickets went out for the Theatre St-Denis for 17th october 2007in Montréal.

Went there w friends and I must admit i was kinda disapointed. :unsure:

It was an OK perfomance but the sound was turned down and we werent able to really hear the guitar.

Lots of older people in the crowd i dunno..It never lift up.

The 2 girlfriends of my buddies saved the show dancing and screamin-the 2 only people

standing in the theater.. :blink:

I saw vids on youtube from an Hamilton concert and it sounded louder..

They (try) recreate TSRTS on stage.

The White are actually out of Toronto now. Michael White is a regular on Q107FM, a Toronto Classic Rock station.

I saw Led Zepplica this year. Meh. The singer was great and it was easy to believe you were watching Plant. The drummer was also quite good, although a little campy. But the guitar player was a mediocre player and had no stage personality at all. Looked like he was playing a high school dance. Altogether disappointing for the $50 price tag.

^^Yeah, I remember seeing The White ages ago. My band used to rehearse in Michael's studio AVC in Los Alamitos, CA. I still bump into Lanny Cordola occasionally. The singer from his band, Bret Aldstadt sang on my band's CD back in '97. Cool people. :beer:

Um, thats a bit cocky? You guys are pretty good. Better then most tribute bands that I've heard. But Mr. Jimmy replicates everthing; same amps, same EXACT outfits on every single tour, (different tours had different sets), and they do every single tour that zep did. In my opinion you guys aren't as good. BUT don't get me wrong, you guys are really a lot better than most led zeppelin tribute bands.

Yeah sorry, I though hard about not posting it when I read it back,

but you cannot be a NON cocky Zep tribute.

It wouldn't be authentic! :D

I can't claim we have all the same amps BUT Mike's Marshall is a few serial numbers off of one of Jimmy's original amps. Made by the same man, Jim Marshall, in the same month.

That's according to the head of R&D at Marshall.

Like I said he wanted to take it apart to replicate it because the amp they supplied to Jimmy before the O2 gig was announced was sent back as not good enough.

They eventually sent him some that were good enough and as everybody knows were used for the gig.

They are currently preparing some more for him. Hmm I wonder why he might need those??

As for all the outfits, we were persuaded down the lookalike road for various reasons and Mike's dragon suit is pretty much an exact replica. There are a couple of differences but not much you'd notice.

The rest of the band are at varying stages, but it really should be secondary to the sound, and ultimately our LIVE sound is exceptionally authentic.

I respect Mr. Jimmy and also some of the US and UK tribs but we don't fear any of them. :)

Yeah sorry, I though hard about not posting it when I read it back,

but you cannot be a NON cocky Zep tribute.

It wouldn't be authentic! :D

I can't claim we have all the same amps BUT Mike's Marshall is a few serial numbers off of one of Jimmy's original amps. Made by the same man, Jim Marshall, in the same month.

That's according to the head of R&D at Marshall.

Like I said he wanted to take it apart to replicate it because the amp they supplied to Jimmy before the O2 gig was announced was sent back as not good enough.

They eventually sent him some that were good enough and as everybody knows were used for the gig.

They are currently preparing some more for him. Hmm I wonder why he might need those??

As for all the outfits, we were persuaded down the lookalike road for various reasons and Mike's dragon suit is pretty much an exact replica. There are a couple of differences but not much you'd notice.

The rest of the band are at varying stages, but it really should be secondary to the sound, and ultimately our LIVE sound is exceptionally authentic.

I respect Mr. Jimmy and also some of the US and UK tribs but we don't fear any of them. :)

Of course, dude. Sound comes WAY before looks. As you mentiond earlier, you guys don't play the same exact thing every night. Which is very zep like. You guys are really good.

Dang, a few serial numbers of Pagey's? NICE, lol.

Led Zepagain is a great act that I'm happy to cll my friends!!

Thanks Evster, we gonna see your mug at the HoB this Sat?? :D

And Plantagenet, if ya wanna get cocky...

011404_259_hob_jimmy4w3.jpg

Ok, I couldn't resist...

But yeah, I agree that the live approach as well as the look alike thing is important to most audiences. We tend to strike a balance between live & studio versions, and even coming up with our own live versions for things they never did live, like In the Light, Fool in the Rain, etc. The thing that keeps it interesting for me is that there is so much room for interpretation to this material, and all 4 of us kind of have free reign to some degree, to do what we feel are the best guitar, bass, drum or vocal parts.

Here's a bootleg clip of us doing 'The Song Remains the Same':

And we'll be doing the entire O2 set this Sat at the House of Blues (same venue as that Jimmy Page pic above!). Anyone in Southern CA, come on out!

:angry::D

Its a bit annoying;

our guitarist has lived less than ten miles from Jimmy's house in Sussex for years now.

He is just about to move to within three miles of his house in Kensington.

And has he met him?

Once at Gatwick airport station, Jimmy was rushing to catch a train !!!!

We have come so close to having them at gigs on several occasions.

I think 2008 will be our year though.

I've seen that picture before, of course. :)

Ok, I couldn't resist...

But yeah, I agree that the live approach as well as the look alike thing is important to most audiences. We tend to strike a balance between live & studio versions, and even coming up with our own live versions for things they never did live, like In the Light, Fool in the Rain, etc. The thing that keeps it interesting for me is that there is so much room for interpretation to this material, and all 4 of us kind of have free reign to some degree, to do what we feel are the best guitar, bass, drum or vocal parts.

And we'll be doing the entire O2 set this Sat at the House of Blues (same venue as that Jimmy Page pic above!). Anyone in Southern CA, come on out!

See you there Steve!

Ok, I couldn't resist...

yea dude. you guys are pretty good.

As someone mentioned here comparing tribute bands is just a matter of your own subjective opinion. Period.

I would say that LZ themselves must have the heaviest vote here.

I know that there is a Pink Floyd tribute band called The Australian Pink Floyd Show and they were preforming at David Gilmours 50-year party. And I assume that was his own choice (and he is one kind of perfectionist).

So, has anyone heard of any LZ tribute band preforming at a (private or public) party at anyone of the LZ members?

That would be a feather in the hat! B)

Edited by Deep Sabbath

I can't believe no one has mentioned Lez Zeppelin, the all girl LedZep tribute. I saw them last summer at Madeira Field in New Bedford MA and they rocked! Very impressive and faithful cover versions. Musically they are spot-on, vocally she hits the notes but definitely has her own voice.

Great stuff!

http://www.lezzeppelin.com

http://www.myspace.com/lezzeppelin

I can't believe no one has mentioned Lez Zeppelin, the all girl LedZep tribute. I saw them last summer at Madeira Field in New Bedford MA and they rocked! Very impressive and faithful cover versions. Musically they are spot-on, vocally she hits the notes but definitely has her own voice.

Great stuff!

http://www.lezzeppelin.com

http://www.myspace.com/lezzeppelin

actually that sounded great very immpressive!

I think Zoso should be able to comment on a very harsh post such as this.

Zoso Rock and if you get the chance......go and see them! they are very talented musicians that really love the music, and it shows!

www.zosoontour.net

Cry me a river Francis, The singer from Zoso is notorious for his hissy fits and has gone as far to claim he's better than Plant. He's a Zeppelin Nazi. You reap what you sew. On the other hand, Mike (their Pagey) is a very cool, down to earth guy. Best of luck to him. PS. ask Matt why he dosen't play any harp. Bwahhahahaa!!

:D

I saw Physical Graffiti over 40 times years and years ago. They were great, I think they've pretty much retired. The guitar player was a perfect page.

no hes back matt heatherman has joined physical graffiti and will be moving from conneticut to florida to join physical graffiti under the same name better band i think the drummer that weaS in ZOSO plays for them now

no hes back matt heatherman has joined physical graffiti and will be moving from conneticut to florida to join physical graffiti under the same name better band i think the drummer that weaS in ZOSO plays for them now your right was and is the best jimmy out there also the lesd singer a little heavier than matt but was plant in 77 but gary plays awsome harp in no bododys fault

I haven't seen many zep tribute bands other than Led Zepagain. They are fantastic!! I did make it to the show Saturday though I was very late...what a show!!! The band did a wonderful job recreating the 02 experience...I even experienced chills during the show!! The D&C instrumental with the pyramid light show was a definite highlight! Good job as usual guys!! :thanku::thumbsup:

Edited by myledzep