Robert's attitude

First it was the way he trew down the mic at the very end of the concert that I saw, and it sort of shocked me. Then I saw him kick something off the stage wildly, towards the second part of Kashmir. The strange is that he's never been like that on stage... in the old days he was usually begging fans to stop using firecrackers and stop acting foolishly etc.

Is it only me, or others (preferably those attending the gig) also noticed his slightly strange attitude?

:rolleyes: I guess my popularity index suffered a fall amongst a few board members...

No, it was actually something else he kicked off the stage during Kashmir - you didn't read my post carefully. As for the mic - I didn't say he was tossing it agressively, but it's certainly something he never did during the Zep-era, as far as video coverage can proove it.

I read it as you wrote it. You were refering to two songs. I was addressing your comments in regard to Rock and Roll which you didn't state in your post, but I knew what you were talking about because it was at the end of the concert. In regards to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZxukPZ0pjA, he actually DID slam the mic stand to the floor around 2:40. OMG .. that was so cool. As someone said before it was like spiking a football in the end zone; an act of victory. His performance in Kashmir was excellent. He was totally in the groove and in his element; and looking My-T-Fine I must say. Very sexy! :wub:

I didn't get ANY negative impression at all. No anger, no smashing ... I don't even know where your getting that from. Here's the clip:

Right about 4:15 he just tosses the mic to the side and then casually goes over and kicks the ball off stage (he did play soccer, afterall)

I love it when Jimmy kisses his guitar and Jason bows :notworthy: to the other three.

I loved watching this whole scene play out.

Hey, Wolfman. Is this the ball that you caught?

The great thing about the clips on YouTube is, you get to see stuff from different angles. The clip I first saw of this, filmed from the side of the stage, made me think Robert was being a little violent about the mic thing, too. Like barrios, I thought there was some petulance in his sort of bored repititions of "lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely" right there at the end, but then he sang out in a real voice and saved that - then he tossed down the mic.

This clip, which is face on, put it in context for me. Through this song Robert is smiling, he's dancing like a chick (!) when Jimmy plays the solo, and he's still belting it like he hasn't just been going on for two + hours. Phenomenal. The mic thing in that context became what IGG said:

That's kind of the way I thought it was too....kind of a "I left it all out on the stage this night" type of thing.

Yeah! He was a happy man, who had just given his all...

I hadn't noticed Jimmy kissing his guitar, before. And Jimmy appluading Jason and John Paul, as well as returning Jason's bow to him... it literally makes me tremble to watch them during this! What a song, what a performance, what a collection of moments. We are blessed.

First it was the way he trew down the mic at the very end of the concert that I saw, and it sort of shocked me. Then I saw him kick something off the stage wildly, towards the second part of Kashmir. The strange is that he's never been like that on stage... in the old days he was usually begging fans to stop using firecrackers and stop acting foolishly etc.

Is it only me, or others (preferably those attending the gig) also noticed his slightly strange attitude?

I would imagine that it was an emotionally charged, even trumatic at times, evening for Robert especially-more than the others. It must have been almost like bearing his soul and very being with the world looking on. Those words, those songs delivered under the unashamed Zeppelin banner. Without his great friend but in the company of his son. A great night-but I would also say a roller coaster for Robert

i feel RP has earned the right to any attitude he wants to have on stage...it's what he's feeling at that time and anything else wouldn't be him. he's a totally "like it is" kinda guy. from all the input and clips he was being the same completely awesome frontman he is. i like a bit of 'tude from a frontman.

OMG Robert is a violent looney!!!!111

The beach ball kicking seemed just like what it was, he saw a ball and got a thought of kicking it back, perhaps showing he's not dead quite yet. :P

Throwing the mic was something of gesture of "It's done now and I've given everything of myself tonight".

And even if the topic starter is right, so what? Plant is a rock star and we all know rock stars, right?

Back in 2003 at a Strange Sensation gig in Happsalu, Estonia he whacked a security guard on the head with a microphone for taking away a massive led zeppelin banner from a fan. That was funny! May be he just got more aggressive with age :-) Hey, it's rock'n'roll.

I heard he doesn't even look behind when he's backing up his car. :angry:

Damn old people, going to get us all killed. :rolleyes:

he had the powerful drum kit (and drummer in back of him which would blow some people away to start, then he had the one of the best guitarists in the world to his side and a genious bass/keyboardist...well Robert is the frontman for this job! I think it was a a pefect mix of his famed mix of an emotionally charged, take control of the stage attitude (which all frontment need to do)...

since there is a thread on here that he cried, then there's this one that he had attitude.....i think it was perfect!

plus the whole thing it must have felt a bit like a high school or college reunion (kinda scary, kinda exciting etc,) so many years later getting used to everything again!

I don't know about a microphone, but almost every Robert show I've seen in the last few years, he's thrown the mic stand and then he kicks it back up with his foot :lol: I just think it's something he does, why I don't know but it doesn't strike me as aggressive or violent. Just cool B)

So he sings like a monster- at his age- and carries the emotions of the songs thruout the whole concert, and yet he has to behave like a sockknitting granny?

Get real!

More power to Plant.

hey boy, you got something against us sockknitting grannies?? I'll have you know I spend all my evenings knitting up items for the band...using only the finest cashmere...things to keep all their body bits warm. I am certain they would appreciate me throwing these on stage instead of my bra. :P Shall I knit a lollipop holster for you?

killknitanim-1.gif

I believe the mic toss thing to have been a bit of finality, seeing as how there aren't any other dates booked (yet :D ). It seemed neither fierce nor nervous, especially given his body language prior to and following the mic toss.....The beach ball just seemed, to me, to be an act of playfulness....getting it back into the crowd to be batted around more. If he had been annoyed by the ball, he probably would have kicked it offstage, not back into the crowd. Check the video screen after the mic toss, they are all smiling and seemingly enjoying their time.

I'm just very glad we have these videos to pick over and 2nd guess....It's a great position to be in, isn't it? You could pretty much figure any return concert like they've done will be scrutinized up one side and down another. Good news is they gave us the material to comb through!

Well, where else could Robert have placed the microphone? As for the globe, did he not send it into the audience as a nifty souvenir for a lucky attendee, why else was a beach ball even at hand?

People have been bringing beach balls to the big arena concerts for years and years. Don't really know why but it's always been a thing at least here in the states.

You're all kidding yourself!

The way he threw that mike was derinitiely done with some ill feeling. Now look at the way he has nothing to do with the others at the end....Page puts him arm round him and Plant acts as if he's not there, same as he does on every clip Ive seen.

The more I see, the more surprised I am at how much tension and ill feeling seems to come across.

Very, very disappointing.

You're all kidding yourself!

The way he threw that mike was derinitiely done with some ill feeling. Now look at the way he has nothing to do with the others at the end....Page puts him arm round him and Plant acts as if he's not there, same as he does on every clip Ive seen.

The more I see, the more surprised I am at how much tension and ill feeling seems to come across.

Very, very disappointing.

Sorry to here that.

I went to a few concerts they don't do that beach ball thing like in the 60's.

He seems just a little tense and somehow his movements don't seem as fluid but he is 59 and I do recall him saying that he wanted to do this concert sober. I don't pick up any "attitude". I just think he's finding this more difficult than how it was in younger days. The microphone at the end he throws down out of exhaustion, both emotional and physical. If you look at clips of some of his Eastern European concerts you'll observe that he doesn't move around a lot, preferring to take things quite easy. Here at this concert, he has summoned all his energies.

I didn't get ANY negative impression at all. No anger, no smashing ... I don't even know where your getting that from. Here's the clip:

Right about 4:15 he just tosses the mic to the side and then casually goes over and kicks the ball off stage (he did play soccer, afterall)

I love it when Jimmy kisses his guitar and Jason bows :notworthy: to the other three.

I loved watching this whole scene play out.

Hey, Wolfman. Is this the ball that you caught?

I just watched that video, and my thought is that Plant's gesture with the mic was kind of: "HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT, FUCKERS?!?!?! WE CAN STILL KICK YOUR ASS!! TAKE THAT!!!! SUCK IT!!!"

And kicking the ball was a playful thing. He's a soccer freak, so he gave it a little soccer kick.

Clearly, those guys BROUGHT IT, and they knew they had done that.

Archived