2014 Grammy Awards - January 26th/2014

SandraAnn

CBS Sunday morning says Led Zeppelin is up for a Grammy for Kashmir on Celebration Day. Fingers crossed they win. Music will never be as good as theirs

...World's most influential artists Led Zeppelin, their music honoured beyond time, melodius timeless compositions, heartbeat of every generation.............

">http://http://s642.photobucket.com/user/planetPage_bucket/media/HayaPoppy2Saree_zps71fd03cf.jpg.html'>HayaPoppy2Saree_zps71fd03cf.jpg

haya: passion for fabric/New Delhi

Edited by PlanetPage

I probably won't watch, but I wouldn't mind "Kashmir" and "Celebration Day" winning their respective categories. What I find fascinating is that the Rock Performance and Rock Album categories are the two most competitive awards of the entire night. Certainly more than the showcase awards of Record of the Year and Song of the Year, of which Daft Punk and Lorde are the only two nominees I can stomach. How did Justin Timberlake, whose "Suit & Tie" crushes most of the Song and Record nominees, not get a nomination?

Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Tame Impala, Jack White, Alabama Shakes, Queens of the Stone Age...in the long run, most of these artists' nominated albums will be remembered and still listened to years from now, while the majority of the mainstream nominations will be forgotten and their creators doing time on some dismal reality show. Imagine Dragons is the only one that sticks out like a sore thumb in the Rock category...they're like Fun., here today, gone tomorrow.

Regarding the question of eligibility, we go through this every year it seems, so here are the eligibility dates for the major awards. Only the Oscars adhere to the calendar year.

GRAMMY AWARDS: Oct. 1 - Sept. 30. As in Oct. 1 2012 - Sept. 30 2013 for this year's awards.

ACADEMY AWARDS "OSCARS": Jan 1 - Dec. 31.

PRIMETIME EMMY AWARDS: June 1 - May 31

TONY AWARDS: This is the most arbitrary of the four major awards, as a different cut-off date is established every year by the Management Committee. For the 2014 awards, the cut-off date was April 25, 2013, so any play that opened on Broadway during the 2012-2013 season by April 25, 2013 was eligible.

I'm certain that the reason is rather simple, in that the nominees have to release their product in a certain window of the year. Celebration Day came out in November, so that probably was pass the eligibility of 2013 and instead 2014 :)

Absolutely correct. The awards are not based on the calendar year. Look at it like more of a fiscal year, which I believe starts on November 1.

Led Zeppelin won Best Rock Album with Celebration Day.

They didn't win Best Rock Performance, that one went to Imagine Dragons.

Great to hear! :toast::hurrah: I personally thought they had a better of winning for Rock Performance, than album.

Well, it only took the Grammy voters 45 years to award Led Zeppelin their first ever Grammy! :wtf:

So, how many years is that in Zeppelin time? :huh:

Not surprised, that these awards weren't showed on the regular broadcast as only about 10 of these or so are during the three hour broadcast. Most of the time is used to showcase the musical performances. Not like the Academy Awards in which all categories are awarded then.

Verrrry Nice! :)

Let's see...they get the "Lifetime Achievement" Award, before they receive their first Grammy??? And their first is not with the original members, either!

:slapface:

Edited by Walter

Who accepted the award for LZ?

The show's airing is starting here in about 10 minutes, I'll DVR it and skip through the rest of the show, which is of no interest to me.

I just re-read SuperDave's post that it's not aired on the show. Well then, no need to record the rest...

Edited by Daniel