David Allen Hundreds Of Never Before Seen Led Zeppelin Photos

DAVIDALLEN

Hello All,

My name is David Allen. I was friends with the band along with Swan Song Records and Peter Grant from around 1975 to 1985. Its been 37 years since I took the famous shot of Led Zep that was used as a promotional photo in 1977. People are selling it without my permission with incorrect photo credit. I just scanned for the first time 275 photos, that were never scanned, printed or even seen by anyone including myself. Here is a sample below of some of them. You can contact me about this at mail@TodaysNew.com.

Thanks,

David Allen

post-28201-0-91165800-1401547984_thumb.j

post-28201-0-21710600-1401547986_thumb.j

post-28201-0-15647900-1401547987_thumb.j

post-28201-0-99892700-1401547987_thumb.j

post-28201-0-79944500-1401547988_thumb.j

post-28201-0-65284800-1401547989_thumb.j

post-28201-0-12706000-1401547999_thumb.j

Hello Again,

Here is a photo I took of Jimmy at Les Pauls' house.

I used to shoot Les with all his VIP friends for him. I brought studio photo equipment over to Les' house in N.J. to shoot him with all his guitars and inventions. Jimmy with his wife and John Paul Jones decided to go also. While there Jimmy and John started jamming with Les, That was pretty cool. Les pulled out Django Reinhardts' guitar to show Jimmy, since that was Jimmys' favorite guitarist of all time he said. He started to quietly play it, listening to every note. I am a couple of feet in front of him with a hasselblad with flash in hand. Do I interupt Jimmy Page at such an intense moment? I did. I said "hey Jimmy, can you look up for a photo, sorry to bother you" I was glad I did, I probably would have hated myself for ever if I didn't. After that he posed for studio shots with Les, his wife, John and Djangos' guitar. I will post more photos from this great day.

post-28201-0-94820600-1401631676_thumb.j

Hello Again,

I used to shoot Les with all his VIP friends for him. I brought studio photo equipment over to Les' house in N.J. to shoot him with all his guitars and inventions. Jimmy with his wife and John Paul Jones decided to go also. While there Jimmy and John started jamming with Les, That was pretty cool. Les pulled out Django Reinhardts' guitar to show Jimmy, since that was Jimmys' favorite guitarist of all time he said. He started to quietly play it, listening to every note. I am a couple of feet in front of him with a hasselblad with flash in hand. Do I interupt Jimmy Page at such an intense moment? I did. I said "hey Jimmy, can you look up for a photo, sorry to bother you" I was glad I did, I probably would have hated myself for ever if I didn't. After that he posed for studio shots with Les, his wife, John and Djangos' guitar. I will post more photos from this great day.

Thank you for sharing, David. I presume this is one of the other photos taken that day

post-20091-0-32789400-1401632044_thumb.j

Yup, that was another one from that day. I think only two or three have ever been seen from that day. i forgot that this one got published. I think this is Guitar Player Magazine?

I will put up some more soon. Thanks

Yup, that was another one from that day. I think only two or three have ever been seen from that day. i forgot that this one got published. I think this is Guitar Player Magazine?

I will put up some more soon. Thanks

Looks like the June 1991 issue of Guitar magazine

post-20091-0-09969900-1401632893_thumb.j

Sorry, I'm not sure. I will try and figure it out.

Here is my best Zep pic, along with the photo I took either before or after it.

I need to check the negative to find out. I shot without a motor drive, so these are seconds apart.

post-28201-0-02109200-1401634038_thumb.j

My writer at the time was Liz Derringer. Wife of Rick Derringer. She interviewed all Zep members several times for many magazines.

Here is a short piece i found:

Liz Derringer: You are an eclectic person and whatever knowledge is available I'm sure you
want it. I think you're saying that it was just one aspect of your many interests at the time
and the public picked up on it.

Jimmy Page: Yes, but as far as my personal life goes, I was extremely interested in religion.
I was interested in the Jewish Christian Church fighting the Nostic Christian Church
fighting the Roman Christian Church in those days. The Nostics (gnostic?) were the first to
disappear, and yet there seems to be more truth within the Nostic gospels. It seems to be the one
that one can relate to far more than the ones that one has to relate to these days--
The New Testament and everything. I believe without any doubt that Christ lived and it was
alright."

post-28201-0-68142700-1401635589_thumb.j

My writer at the time was Liz Derringer. Wife of Rick Derringer. She interviewed all Zep members several times for many magazines.

Here is a short piece i found:

Liz Derringer: You are an eclectic person and whatever knowledge is available I'm sure you

want it. I think you're saying that it was just one aspect of your many interests at the time

and the public picked up on it.

Jimmy Page: Yes, but as far as my personal life goes, I was extremely interested in religion.

I was interested in the Jewish Christian Church fighting the Nostic Christian Church

fighting the Roman Christian Church in those days. The Nostics (gnostic?) were the first to

disappear, and yet there seems to be more truth within the Nostic gospels. It seems to be the one

that one can relate to far more than the ones that one has to relate to these days--

The New Testament and everything. I believe without any doubt that Christ lived and it was

alright."

That's an excellent quote, back from when Jimmy felt comfortable talking about his religious beliefs in interviews.

Had a search for the quote and the source seems to be "The Music Paper, Liz Derringer Interview with JP, March 1986"

That's an excellent magazine name! By the way, do you recall what year the Les Paul house photos were from?

I'm sure many of you have seen this video - Live Aid weekend, I think.

Clothing, appearance, event suggest photos are from same day but I'm sure Mr. Allen can confirm/correct.

(Taped July 18, 1985 on location at Les Paul's house.)

Thank you very much for posting the pics! Always a joy to see the lads in their prime (or close to).

That's an excellent quote, back from when Jimmy felt comfortable talking about his religious beliefs in interviews.

Or, rather, his New Age-influenced misunderstanding of religious history. :P

Great work, David!

Iconic shots, to be sure........!! You will find this forum to be very supportive of good photography....

Thanks for sharing-

Hi Mark! ^^Great post:-) Thanks for sharing those fantastic photos David and welcome to the forum. :peace:

Hello Again,

Thank you so much for generously sharing your pictures!!! They are gorgeous! Especially this one as well as being a great story. Thank you also for sharing his quote on religion. And also welcome to the forum! :)

Or, rather, his New Age-influenced misunderstanding of religious history. :P

Huh? Gnostic Christianity is a major area of study for religious historians. I am totally on the same page as Jimmy, pun intended. I've been studying Gnostic Christianity, mostly via Elaine Pagels' books, and more recently other sources, for a long time.

And thank you, David Allen, for sharing all those photos and the interview excerpt.

footnote: Jimmy might have condensed the chronology a bit but all those conflicts occurred.

Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos, David! You definitely found the place where they will be much appreciated. The photo of Jimmy and Robert that you refer to as your best LZ pic is one that comes to mind when I think of the great chemistry that Jimmy and Robert had on stage. You have captured that very nicely...Great job!!

Archived