1979: Copenhagen v Knebworth

Nutrocker

Wow, just finished listening to the 24-7-79 Copenhagen "warm up" gig. Damn good show! Unlike the previous night -which indeed seemed like a warm up, not only for the band but for their tech crew- on the 24th Zeppelin seemed more focused and determined to put on a performance for the Copenhagen crowd. Personally I prefer it to either of the two Knebworth gigs held a few weeks later. I suppose it also helps that the Copenhagen gigs were captured on some stellar audience recordings, easily on par with Mike Millard's tapes from LA '75 and '77. A very enjoyable listen, I must say.

My feelings on the two Knebworth shows has always been that the sheer size of the event got to the band, resulting in performances that ranged from brilliant to chaotic at the drop of a hat. Yes, it pretty much goes without saying that the 4 August show is better than the one a week later, but based on the playing itself on the night(s) I think something was definitely lost in translation between the 3000 person audiences in Copenhagen and the 100000 punters at Knebworth. That said, I've always enjoyed watching the Knebworth footage on the 2003 DVD, especially the mother of all "Achilles Last Stand"s Page saw fit to include. That said, watching the bootleg video of the 11 August show is almost as painful in places as watching the Seattle '77 video. Jimmy was well out of it on that second Knebworth gig and it shows (probably spent too much time partying with Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood -whose New Barbarians band was one of the opening acts- before the show). He gives it the old college try onstage (in spite of breaking a few strings) but his playing reminds me of some of the hit or miss 1980 shows.

I'm going to assume at least most of us here have heard/seen these 1979 shows, what are yer thoughts on the four gigs?

I love both Copenhagen shows. I've always thought they blew the Knebworth shows away. The crowd at the warm up shows seemed to push the band, I don't know if that was the case , but it's the vibe I feel listening to them.

Copenhagen 7.24.79 blows away Knebworth.

One of their best post 73 shows hands down.

Definitive versions of:

Celebration Day

NFBM

Over the Hills

SIBLY

No Quarter

Ten Years Gone

Hot Dog

It goes on and on, and the best execution of their revamped whole lotta love

I enjoy the Copenhagen performances very much and from a performance stand point they do give the Knebworth shows a run for their money. However, the vibe in Copenhagen is completely different to that of Knebworth. Copenhagen is energetic, Knebworth is emotional.

I do think the Copenhagen shows are great, but they've never struck a chord with me like with so many other people. Despite it's faults, I'd be more ready to listen to 8/4 again before 7/24. I agree that 8/11 is bad, but it doesn't start getting really bad until after Kashmir, that's when Jimmy's completely gone. I can't stand the Achilles from the 11th. I'd rather listen to White Summer from Berlin '80 before I'd listen to that one again.

I do think the Copenhagen shows are a great, but they've never struck a chord with me like so many other people. Despite it's faults, I'd be more ready to listen to 8/4 again before 7/24. I agree that 8/11 is bad, but it doesn't start getting really bad until after Kashmir, that's when Jimmy's completely gone. I can't stand the Achilles from the 11th. I'd rather listen to White Summer from Berlin '80 before I'd listen to that one again.

:thumbdown::P

I just went to the LZ time line to read reviews & look at photo's from these two gigs - if you look at the article from the NME it mentions the upcoming Knebworth gigs - but the author also mentions a proposed gig in Iceland that fell through. This is the first I've heard of this.

Was there at some point in the Summer of 1979, talk of doing a gig in Iceland as part of these warm ups??

I love (the first) Knebworth show because it's a solid show that's beautifully recorded, soundwise it's pretty good too if you get the release with matrix audio but the second night in Copenhagen blows it away, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think it blows EVERY show after 1972 away, the '73 european tour, MSG in '73, Earls court and seattle/forum in 1975 and the forum gigs in 1977.

I mean there's really nothing to complain about, no 40 minute moby dick(I usually like them but when they play more songs instead of a long solo I'm all for it), a 20 song long setlist, one of their strongest set lists ever if you ask me, Jimmy is on freaking fire, Robert has his nice consistent post-1977 voice.... It's brilliant really, a MUST have for anyone who enjoys Zeppelin live

If only they played like that on both Knebworth gigs, it would be the greatest concert DVD of all time

I enjoy the Copenhagen performances very much and from a performance stand point they do give the Knebworth shows a run for their money. However, the vibe in Copenhagen is completely different to that of Knebworth. Copenhagen is energetic, Knebworth is emotional.

That's true, TYG from Knebworth is amazingly emotional, the one from 7/24 has one of the best solos though

I agree with all of the above...looks like we're all on the same Page here! :lol:

I can't stand the Achilles from the 11th. I'd rather listen to White Summer from Berlin '80 before I'd listen to that one again.

Ouch! I dunno if I'd go that far...but if the shoe fits...certainly isn't a good version of "Achilles", that's for sure. The Tempe '77 "Achilles" is the worst one for me. Personally I think comparing any performance to the Berlin "White Summer" is a bit extreme- that is definitely not one of James Patrick's finer moments, and possibly his worst.

I'd also rather listen to Achilles from Tempe since you mention it. Cool intro, and the tape covers up the finer details, which can't be said for the 11th's dry, poorly mixed video soundtrack.

I agree with all of the above...looks like we're all on the same Page here! :lol:

Ouch! I dunno if I'd go that far...but if the shoe fits...certainly isn't a good version of "Achilles", that's for sure. The Tempe '77 "Achilles" is the worst one for me. Personally I think comparing any performance to the Berlin "White Summer" is a bit extreme- that is definitely not one of James Patrick's finer moments, and possibly his worst.

I'd also rather listen to Achilles from Tempe since you mention it. Cool intro, and the tape covers up the finer details, which can't be said for the 11th's dry, poorly mixed video soundtrack.

Yeah, the video soundtrack quality leaves a lot to be desired (mind ya the only version I have of the August 11 show is a presumably 110th generation video that makes Page's blue shirt look more of a light green). I think I've watched the video twice or something in all these years. Ever heard any of the Knebworth audience tapes, Sue? Some of em aren't bad...

It's probably the musician in me more than anything that finds the Tempe "Achilles Last Stand" so cringeworthy.

I find both the 23rd and 24th to be fantastic performances in their own right, with a number of standouts on the first night (SIBLY in particular). These shows are an excellent indication that when the band was solely focused on the music and did not have the time to engage in offstage activities that they were just as talented and synergistic as ever. The lack of pressure and nerves also benefited them greatly.

Knebworth is a mixed bag. The first night is good but too long. The second night, also too long, is not unlike Europe '80, where Page is off but the rest are keen as always.

Wow, just finished listening to the 24-7-79 Copenhagen "warm up" gig. Damn good show! Unlike the previous night -which indeed seemed like a warm up, not only for the band but for their tech crew- on the 24th Zeppelin seemed more focused and determined to put on a performance for the Copenhagen crowd. Personally I prefer it to either of the two Knebworth gigs held a few weeks later. I suppose it also helps that the Copenhagen gigs were captured on some stellar audience recordings, easily on par with Mike Millard's tapes from LA '75 and '77. A very enjoyable listen, I must say.

My feelings on the two Knebworth shows has always been that the sheer size of the event got to the band, resulting in performances that ranged from brilliant to chaotic at the drop of a hat. Yes, it pretty much goes without saying that the 4 August show is better than the one a week later, but based on the playing itself on the night(s) I think something was definitely lost in translation between the 3000 person audiences in Copenhagen and the 100000 punters at Knebworth. That said, I've always enjoyed watching the Knebworth footage on the 2003 DVD, especially the mother of all "Achilles Last Stand"s Page saw fit to include. That said, watching the bootleg video of the 11 August show is almost as painful in places as watching the Seattle '77 video. Jimmy was well out of it on that second Knebworth gig and it shows (probably spent too much time partying with Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood -whose New Barbarians band was one of the opening acts- before the show). He gives it the old college try onstage (in spite of breaking a few strings) but his playing reminds me of some of the hit or miss 1980 shows.

I'm going to assume at least most of us here have heard/seen these 1979 shows, what are yer thoughts on the four gigs?

I concur on your break down of all four shows. The 24th is a true gem in every sense. So intimate....such great atmosphere....such tight playing. Seems like they are having fun. Its a top ten show in my books and one I go back to quite a lot. Cheers

I concur on your break down of all four shows. The 24th is a true gem in every sense. So intimate....such great atmosphere....such tight playing. Seems like they are having fun. Its a top ten show in my books and one I go back to quite a lot. Cheers

Indeed, it's like having Zeppelin playing in yer living room or something. An 'intimate club date' in 1979...fancy that, eh?

The recording really is good, being recorded in a theatre probably helped a tonne, I think the capacity is about 2 000 too and that's really the perfect amount for a recording.

I probably listen to this show once a week it feels like, second most played show after 1970-09-19.

Oh and I rewatched the Knebworth show(8/4, not touching 8/11 for a while again) and is it me or is WLL pretty fucking fantastic? I love how Percy really belts out the whole song, singing from his damn toes!

Agree with most of the comments here. In particular I think Steve is right that the vibe is very different for each show (7/24 vs. 8/4) in the way he says and for obvious reasons.

I think Kevin Shirley and Page did a phenomenal job with the 7 Knebworth tracks on the LZ DVD, and that's definitely my favorite, go-to listen for 1979. On Eddie Edwards' The Garden Tapes site, he comments that these tracks (all from the 4th) are like the "best of Knebworth," giving an overall impression that's stronger than the show as a whole. I agree wholeheartedly.

But for a complete show, and for bootlegs, I agree that Copenhagen 7/24 is superior in both performance and overall impact of the sound, because of the hall ambience - the Knebworth soundboard tape is too dry. (And even the matrix with the audience source helps only to a degree...)

But that said, I've always been puzzled by the rave reviews people give to the sound of the 7/24 show. Yes, it's a very decent AUD tape, but because it was recorded from the balcony (unlike the 23rd which apparently was recorded from the floor and probably closer to the stage), it's got too much echo - and Bonham's drums just sound terrible IMHO, with that constant "clickety clack" sound that makes it sound like he was playing on a toy drum set.

Don't get me wrong - it's a great show and I do enjoy listening to it. But man, what I wouldn't give for a soundboard source for it, to matrix with the audience source and make it really sound decent.

But that said, I've always been puzzled by the rave reviews people give to the sound of the 7/24 show. Yes, it's a very decent AUD tape, but because it was recorded from the balcony (unlike the 23rd which apparently was recorded from the floor and probably closer to the stage), it's got too much echo - and Bonham's drums just sound terrible IMHO, with that constant "clickety clack" sound that makes it sound like he was playing on a toy drum set.

Don't get me wrong - it's a great show and I do enjoy listening to it. But man, what I wouldn't give for a soundboard source for it, to matrix with the audience source and make it really sound decent.

I think it's probably a case of since there are so many decidedly crappy sounding Zeppelin audience tapes, the ones that do sound really good stand out...and quality-wise may even tend to be overrated from time to time...

• 2 weeks later...

It would be great if zep released a bootleg series and page could run tapes through a treatment like the paris, olympia show. Treasures like copenhagen and south hampton would surely have to be included. I guess we can hear, that they enjoyed playing the small venues.

I still find it a bit perplexing, considering the 79,80 setlists...that they didnt continue to free up the sets even alittle more. Especially in 80, that sth wasnt dropped...and white summer.

With knebworth, i held on to my vinyl copy of this show, nice color photo of zep, in the field. The records skip in a couple places, audience recording is decent though. Also would be nice if there was an official dvd,cd release one day.

Also would be nice if there was an official dvd,cd release one day.

Official DVD releases of Knebworth and Earls Court '75 -as opposed to the teasers offered on the 2003 DVD- are no brainers...Page is foolish not to put 'em out.

If the Stones can officially release the L.A. '75 pro shot on DVD (which is neither the greatest quality or performance) Zeppelin could definitely do Knebworth, I'd reckon...

^^^^ completely agree... i think the bits and peaces stuff makes the LZ live catalog a bit awkward... kinda like BBC sessions even though i like a lot of the tracks its a bit all over the place... i know for Knebworth and EC some of the performances were deemed subpar but a full uninterupted show warts and all just fits with the attitude the swagger the prowess of Led Zeppelin... holding back just seems contradictory and detrimental...

Archived