Jimmy Page discusses Stairway

truth and beauty

Very nice, just wish he would leave his nose alone, lol....distracting.

Haha, yes, It would be nearly impossible to find a person who touches his nose and lips more than Jimmy. It's quite amazing really. Having said that, the interview was wonderful, as were his insights, and the Thorens turntable! Great stuff.

Interesting interview. Although Jimmy is holding the standard lp version of Zoso; Stairway sounds like the alternate mix version. I hear echo on Plant's vocals at the end of the track before he sings. (ala Whole Lotta Love "Way down inside.......)

he is such a romantic .

i think an entire album similar to this would actually be a good idea. it could be all 3 of the guys but just jimmy himself would be ok to as it would be partly autobiographical. kind of a music version of an autobiography.

pick some songs to play in full while he talks over them as he does in this video. they could even film him at different locations doing it for a video version.

he is such a romantic .

i think an entire album similar to this would actually be a good idea. it could be all 3 of the guys but just jimmy himself would be ok to as it would be partly autobiographical. kind of a music version of an autobiography.

pick some songs to play in full while he talks over them as he does in this video. they could even film him at different locations doing it for a video version.

It's a new approach but there are already hundreds of interviews in print and on record. What's left unsaid at this point?

Even so, I must admit I would love to watch Robert Plant sit thru Shaken n' Stirred on vinyl and attempt to explain Easily Lead.

THE RECORDER ????

wish i knew that in elementry school!

i bet our music teachers didnt even know !!!

JOHN PAUL JONES perfect input !

im SURE many generations of students would have learnd to play "stairway" and actually passed music class !! lol RITE ?

THE RECORDER ????

wish i knew that in elementry school!

i bet our music teachers didnt even know !!!

JOHN PAUL JONES perfect input !

im SURE many generations of students would have learnd to play "stairway" and actually passed music class !! lol RITE ?

You are kidding, that recorder stands out like a sore thumb. It's as obvious as the guitar that precedes it.

You are kidding, that recorder stands out like a sore thumb. It's as obvious as the guitar that precedes it.

well of course i hear it now, just NEVER even thought about it, just figured it was ??? a flute ??

just wish when i was a dumb lil kid = someone woulda pointed it out !

It's a new approach but there are already hundreds of interviews in print and on record. What's left unsaid at this point?

Even so, I must admit I would love to watch Robert Plant sit thru Shaken n' Stirred on vinyl and attempt to explain Easily Lead.

there is something more appealing about doing it this way. i don't think it would have come off the same if he was just speaking without the music playing.

There used to be a show on VH1 called "Storytellers" and I have always thought it was a shame Robert, Jimmy and John Paul never get together with some acoustic guitars and mandolins, etc., and talked about how some of their songs came about in exactly the relaxed, conversational manner Jimmy exhibits here in this BBC video. It would have been the perfect format for them. A great missed opportunity, in my book.

I also used to wish Jones would bring along a recorder on tour, so he could play the "Stairway" intro properly on a recorder instead of using his moog or whatever keyboard he used. Although I did like the organ intros he used when I saw them in 1972...that was much more ethereal and effective than the way he did it in1973 and after.

This is so beautiful. There is something about STH that cannot be denied. It is the song that brought me to LZ, and so to me, a song that can change your life. I love this format and like many have said, I would love to see more and hear more reflections on how the music was made. Jimmy's words, and oh that smile, are priceless treasures.

So much water under the bridge since that time, so many ups and downs.....I wonder how it all feels to him knowing that most of his life is now in the past. Those magical moments when everything came together just right must produce especially intense, personal emotions for him.

Very interesting insights into the making of STH, but Pagey looks downright sad in his reflective moments. I love any behind the scenes 'how to's' of music, movies, theatre, writing, etc., though given the water under the bridge, this is bittersweet. "Everyone is playing so honestly and with such conviction that it shows," Pagey said, and that's why things are as they are with each of them on such different musical paths; a couple of them continue to carve new creative paths because they're pursuing their careers honestly and, therefore, their new music is being played with conviction. Ironic.

There used to be a show on VH1 called "Storytellers" and I have always thought it was a shame Robert, Jimmy and John Paul never get together with some acoustic guitars and mandolins, etc., and talked about how some of their songs came about in exactly the relaxed, conversational manner Jimmy exhibits here in this BBC video. It would have been the perfect format for them. A great missed opportunity, in my book.

I also used to wish Jones would bring along a recorder on tour, so he could play the "Stairway" intro properly on a recorder instead of using his moog or whatever keyboard he used. Although I did like the organ intros he used when I saw them in 1972...that was much more ethereal and effective than the way he did it in1973 and after.

Robert did one of these Storytellers shows around the time "Mighty Rearranger" was released.

Robert did one of these Storytellers shows around the time "Mighty Rearranger" was released.

I remember Storytellers, Bruce Springsteen also took part in this tv show.

This was actually a good concept, artists playing accoustic versions of their songs and telling a bit more about their inspirations.

Haven't seen the one with Robert, I will see if it's on youtube.

Edit:

I found the Stairway to heaven video on Jimmy's FaceBook page. It does offer some interesting insights about how this epic song came to be,

And as many have already mentioned, it really does seem that listening to the song and talking about its creation brings up a lot of emotion in Jimmy.

Jimmy's visible emotion makes it a very moving video. Maybe it could indeed be a good idea to do such a "making of" on more epic songs.

Maaike

Archived