Biggest fail live

Klape

Now i am hearing the toy keyboard sound on 80 shows, after reading this thread. I never quite critiqued it before, am not a musician and guess i just didnt pick it out, even though it is obvious on, in the evening and all my love.

One of the things about the 80 shows, some great finishes to songs with bonham and plant highlighted.

Also was just listening to all my love, frankfurt and swore i heard a bass drum reverberation, shimmer effect, at beginning of the song...just like the record version.

I have to say, all misty mountain hop solos by jimmy, they follow the tempo, but it just doesnt seem like hes into it.

Also, the atlantic 40th. I thought the r and r hall was good though.

I have to recant, recount my misty mountain hop post after listening to mmh copenhagen 79...its a surf jam...simple is better

• 1 month later...

It has to be Tempe 77. I really dont recall hearing any terrible performance. But if i had to choose, its Tempe 77. But even at their worst, They were the BEST!!! You never heard the crowd boo the zep!

Tempe is an off night for sure, but there are other '77 gigs almost as bad. I'd also reckon there were worse 1980 shows than Tempe.

Tempe is an off night for sure, but there are other '77 gigs almost as bad. I'd also reckon there were worse 1980 shows than Tempe.

Really??? what other 77 shows were as bad as Tempe??? The only one i can think of that was even close was that San Diego show before the LA shows where bonzo was just having a terrible night lol

Really??? what other 77 shows were as bad as Tempe??? The only one i can think of that was even close was that San Diego show before the LA shows where bonzo was just having a terrible night lol

April 3 Oklahoma City, April 25 Louisville and May 28 Landover aren't that great either- full of mistakes and sloppy playing. May 30 aside none of the Landover gigs have much to recommend them, actually- which is odd because the shows immediately leading up to them (Birmingham and Fort Worth in particular) are classic '77. Unfortunately with the '77 shows once you hear an exceptional performance -the L.A. or New York shows, for example- the mediocre gigs really stand out.

April 3 Oklahoma City, April 25 Louisville and May 28 Landover aren't that great either- full of mistakes and sloppy playing. May 30 aside none of the Landover gigs have much to recommend them, actually- which is odd because the shows immediately leading up to them (Birmingham and Fort Worth in particular) are classic '77. Unfortunately with the '77 shows once you hear an exceptional performance -the L.A. or New York shows, for example- the mediocre gigs really stand out.

Yeah i know what you mean. Yeah i guess that April 3rd show was shitty because they were so rusty, ya know, they were just coming back from a long break from Roberts car accident. But they came back with vengance didnt they :) Yeah the first couple shows in April were not the best. And i understand that some time during that April 25th show someone threw a bottle on stage and supposedly clipped Jimmy's guitar or was close, And he stormed off stage for a while, but then came back sometime later like nothing happened. Not sure how true this is because i really cant hear this on the bootleg. But it says this happened in the review and info file that came with the bootleg i have.

I've always had a soft spot for the 26/5/77. Whilst certainly not an amazing show by any means it does have its moments, No Quarter is pretty decent but then again I'm bias, I'll enjoy pretty much any '77 version of NQ.

Yeah i know what you mean. Yeah i guess that April 3rd show was shitty because they were so rusty, ya know, they were just coming back from a long break from Roberts car accident. But they came back with vengance didnt they :) Yeah the first couple shows in April were not the best. And i understand that some time during that April 25th show someone threw a bottle on stage and supposedly clipped Jimmy's guitar or was close, And he stormed off stage for a while, but then came back sometime later like nothing happened. Not sure how true this is because i really cant hear this on the bootleg. But it says this happened in the review and info file that came with the bootleg i have.

Listen closely after "Ten Years Gone" finishes on April 25...when you hear Jimmy exclaim, "Fuck off!" that's when the bottle hit his guitar.

Part of the reason the band was so rusty at the start of the tour was that due to the tour's postponement (apparently due to Plant having laryngitis) Page proudly stated that he did not even touch a guitar during that month...oops.

I've always had a soft spot for the 26/5/77. Whilst certainly not an amazing show by any means it does have its moments, No Quarter is pretty decent but then again I'm bias, I'll enjoy pretty much any '77 version of NQ.

Yeah, when it came to "No Quarter" in '77 the band always delivered. Problem with the May 26 version is that Bonham comes in way too early for the Boogie Jam- Jonesy had barely gotten into his piano solo. Bonham was very erratic on the night -such as his early start on "Achilles Last Stand"- on top of performing a very tedious 36 minute drum solo. Must have been the drugs :lol:

Listen closely after "Ten Years Gone" finishes on April 25...when you hear Jimmy exclaim, "Fuck off!" that's when the bottle hit his guitar.

Part of the reason the band was so rusty at the start of the tour was that due to the tour's postponement (apparently due to Plant having laryngitis) Page proudly stated that he did not even touch a guitar during that month...oops.

Yeah, when it came to "No Quarter" in '77 the band always delivered. Problem with the May 26 version is that Bonham comes in way too early for the Boogie Jam- Jonesy had barely gotten into his piano solo. Bonham was very erratic on the night -such as his early start on "Achilles Last Stand"- on top of performing a very tedious 36 minute drum solo. Must have been the drugs :lol:

Yup he did! I never caught that before! Awesome! Not for the person but for jimmy screamin at him! He shouldve threw it back lol

Yup he did! I never caught that before! Awesome! Not for the person but for jimmy screamin at him! He shouldve threw it back lol

Very illuminating discussion (with pictures!) about the Louisville show -including a forum member who was there- can be found here:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/17645-louisville-ky-freedom-hall-kentucky-fair-expo-center-april-25-1977/?hl=%2Blouisville+%2B1977

Mentioning San Diego, This proves an enormous point....and a main reason for 1980 being lame. As great as everyone else is, without

Bonzo's machinery in at least 3/4 swing(no pun intended)the wings fall off.1980 Bonzo is IMO far more shot than Page is, because although

Bonzo keeps time fine, a rock drummer MUST have energy.Due to weight gain/substance abuse etc., there is a very large energy difference

from 77' to 80'. Page is quite erratic but the energy has not been cut in half , for example.

Mentioning San Diego, This proves an enormous point....and a main reason for 1980 being lame. As great as everyone else is, without

Bonzo's machinery in at least 3/4 swing(no pun intended)the wings fall off.1980 Bonzo is IMO far more shot than Page is, because although

Bonzo keeps time fine, a rock drummer MUST have energy.Due to weight gain/substance abuse etc., there is a very large energy difference

from 77' to 80'. Page is quite erratic but the energy has not been cut in half , for example.

Absolutely goddamn right. If Page or Plant were having an off night, Bonham tended to kick it up that much harder in order to compensate, and nine times out of ten succeeded. But if Bonham was having an off night -San Diego '77 probably being the worst example- it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Absolutely goddamn right. If Page or Plant were having an off night, Bonham tended to kick it up that much harder in order to compensate, and nine times out of ten succeeded. But if Bonham was having an off night -San Diego '77 probably being the worst example- it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Yes it does doesnt it lol! I've been listening to a lot of 77 lately and its getting harder and harder to say what was crap and what was good. Because most of it sounds awesome to me! I just wish that, before people judge the 77 tour so quickly, They listen to more than just one or a few boots from 77. Some people (Like me) have the entire year and i judge it from the entire year, Not just one show ya know. But like i said, Even when they were sloppy or having a hard night, they were still the best!!!!

• 4 months later...

JPJ doing Sandy Denny for The Battle Of Evermore. Each performance bloody terrible (no offence JPJ), no wonder they dropped it so quick (seems to me anyway).

JPJ definitely had a voice to scare kiddies on Halloween. :yay:

JPJ doing Sandy Denny for The Battle Of Evermore. Each performance bloody terrible (no offence JPJ), no wonder they dropped it so quick (seems to me anyway).

Nope, JPJ sang the Sandy Denny part on "Battle Of Evermore" (occasionally assisted by Bonzo, as in Landover) at every '77 show, so it's not like they dropped it or anything. It is an acquired taste though, no question.

at 0:43 there are a couple pretty bad vocal flops by robert plant :lol:

Wow, whoever made that REALLY HATES Meat Loaf. However, that was priceless. Until I got to the Meat part I thought Rob Halford's fail was the worse, sounded like someone ripped his dick off and shoved it down his throat. Then, the glorious hot steaming pile of dead rat testicles which is the Meat. Now Meat's performance(s) literally sounded like he was a drunken opera singer, high on Oxy, getting buggared by his bass player, while pretending to parody a bad Elvis impersonator with a case of shingles.

That, will be my new ringtone.

Biggest fail live?... Jimmy not practising for a month before the biggest tour of the band's career in 1977.

For particular songs, I'd go for MMH on 23rd July 79, where Jimmy seems to be in the wrong key for the solo, and doesn't notice. Or maybe Heartbreaker from 20th March 1975 where - I think - Jimmy just plays the wrong song and everyone else has to go along with it.

WTLB from 1975 is also a good candidate, because the band tried to play it, but it didn't work.

I rather like the Kashmir from Brussels 1980; yes it goes wrong, but it's cool how they put the song into a holding pattern while they work out how to get it back on track.

Archived