England

leddy

English, British it doesn't matter to me, any insults you give me is fine under either of those headings Del. But is seems easier to insult a Brit more than an Eng :D But remember that the Scots Welsh and Irish will be insulted under the Brit name instead of just the English.

For Olympic games purposes we are classed as Great Britain for most other sports we go under each individual country.

I am English but am part of Britain and the UK. :blink:

I have a question. As an American is it correct to refer to someone who is from Britian as being English or do you call them British?

Obviously, it would be incorrect to refer to someone who's from Edinburgh as being English. I know someone who wouldn't be very glad to hear that. :rolleyes:

:beer: this whole subject can be confusing to the natives, let alone outsiders. :blink:

England, Scotland and Wales = Great Britain.

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland = The United Kingdom

Ireland is of course an independent Republic.

And where the various island groups and Bailiwicks come in, is another issue entirely. (for example The Scilly isles offshore tax havens such as Jersey, Guernsey, and the Isle Of Man.

And many residents of Cornwall consider their county to be an Duchy (with its own flag), and an old kingdom seperate from England.

And many residents of Cornwall consider their county to be an Duchy (with its own flag), and an old kingdom seperate from England.

Well that's really all a front. They roar on the England national sports teams as much as anyone. I've been to Cornwall a lot and to be honest most of it is leg pulling. They mainly consider themselves English but they like to play on it for a laugh and to wind some people up. It's not as if there is really any strong seperatist movement from England going on there.

Well that's really all a front. They roar on the England national sports teams as much as anyone. I've been to Cornwall a lot and to be honest most of it is leg pulling. They mainly consider themselves English but they like to play on it for a laugh and to wind some people up. It's not as if there is really any strong seperatist movement from England going on there.

:beer: I'll go along with that.

Hi, me, as a German, I certainly don't care about your shitty football team and you shouldn't either. I mean, you have the best bands and some of the greatest musicians in post-war times,

so fuck your lousy football team and be proud of the great music you make.

You had/have the Beatles, the Stones, Zeppelin and the Who (just to mention a few)

That's like winning four World Championships in row, O.K., doesn't really make sense, but anyway,

you just can't have it all

Hi, me, as a German, I certainly don't care about your shitty football team and you shouldn't either. I mean, you have the best bands and some of the greatest musicians in post-war times,

so fuck your lousy football team and be proud of the great music you make.

You had/have the Beatles, the Stones, Zeppelin and the Who (just to mention a few)

That's like winning four World Championships in row, O.K., doesn't really make sense, but anyway,

you just can't have it all

lol.gif

We need more people like you here.

Clarified for me, in part, thanks. So N. Ireland is politically THAT separate from the Repubic of Ireland ? R of Ireland is NOT considered part of The UK ? Did N. Ireland somehow receive the IRE of the rest of the mainland ? Seriously...was it ever a part of the Republic of Ireland ? How did N. Ireland come under the 'umbrella' of The UK ? Did the UK 'adopt' them ? Were they outcast as a nation ? I'm obviously ignorant of the history.

I too, being an American Mutt, have ancestors from Ireland but not sure if northern or southern. I'd like to find out if that part of my lineage was UK or Independent....I'm mostly UK though some French thrown in.

I'd be interested in a short explanation of this.

No, the Republic of Ireland is not part of the United Kingdom. The whole island was part of the UK until the Irish War of Independence in 1922. Since then, the greater part of the island is independent, but the northern part remained part of the UK, because the Protestant inhabitants there wish it to be so.

Glad to see some good debate here, I Think of myself English first and British second, thats why I put the England thread up. If I had put a British thread up then this might of caused confusion to outsiders as I think that people outside the UK think British is English and so causing frustration to the Scots,Welsh etc.

With an England thread we can discuss things English because I have no connection with weraring kilts, tossing Kabers etc ! Someone said on here that we go to the Olympics as Britain which is true ! but at everything else (nearly ) we go as seperate nations like football, we have pride in this so much so we don't have a Olympic football team as we as seperate nations do not want that, we are scared that by having that we would have to have a footy team with Scotland always after that as Britain.

The UK is now fractured more than ever with with Scotland having its own Parliment and the Welsh having an assembly !! I think that most people of England want a complete break from the other countries (I think ) !!

After all that though I had a Scottish Gran and Uncle ( but as I was very young when they died I have no sort of connection as I said before about things Scottish), Great Grandparents that were Dutch. But having parents and myself born in England, I am a proud Englishman !!

All are welcome here though to discuss The jewel in The English crown....Led Zepppelin :D

I know that GB and the UK are different and have to do with separate 1707 and 1801 acts of union, but do Northern Irish consider themselves British? I thought they did, even though technically, it was originally 'the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland'--but this was a designation before the Republic of Ireland came into being, yes? At any rate, the Irish to the south do not even like to be thought of as members of the British Isles and have taken to calling themselves inhabitants of 'these islands'!

From the BBC.co.uk today .......

'MUHAMMAD TEDDY' TEACHER ARRESTED

A British schoolteacher has been arrested in Sudan, accused of insulting Islam's prophet - after she allowed her pupils to name a teddy bear 'Muhammad'. Ms Gibbons was arrested after several parents made complaints.

The BBCs correspondent Amber Henshaw said Ms Gibbons punishment could be up to 6 months jail, 40 lashes or a fine. The school has been closed until January for fear of reprisals.

Fellow teachers at Khartoum's Unity High School told Reuters News Agency they feared for Ms Gibbons safety after receiving reports that men had started gathering outside the police station where she was being held.

A British schoolteacher has been arrested in Sudan, accused of insulting Islam's prophet - after she allowed her pupils to name a teddy bear 'Muhammad'. Ms Gibbons was arrested after several parents made complaints.

The BBCs correspondent Amber Henshaw said Ms Gibbons punishment could be up to 6 months jail, 40 lashes or a fine. The school has been closed until January for fear of reprisals.

Fellow teachers at Khartoum's Unity High School told Reuters News Agency they feared for Ms Gibbons safety after receiving reports that men had started gathering outside the police station where she was being held.

Some people pay good money for 40 lashes :blink:

Hmm, on the subject of the new national team manager, I'd personally love to see the Special One at the helm! I think he'd bring much needed charisma and wouldn't be afraid to drop the so called "big players" (we've already seen him do so at Chelsea). Unfortunately, I don't think he is even considering it. And why the hell should he? We're a team whose fans expect way more than they should (we're a decent top 10 team at best) and the press will drive him to insanity within days.

Of the realistic candidates, I think Martin O'Neill (he's denied interest, but I think he might be persuaded) or Fabio Cappello. I for one am not of the opinion that having an English manager will be in any way be beneficial. Not when there are so few good ones around. Sure, there's a couple of young English managers who in the future might be suitable, but right now I just don't see it.

Blimey when I first read that yesterday I thought you were joking, I have now read it in paper and cannot understand the problem !! It said that you cannot make an image of Muhamid yet don't people name people that !! isn't that in the image of God too...this world !!

Gotta love this lady: :D

London transport sacks announcer for spoof messages

An official announcer for London's Underground railway system has been sacked after making spoof messages mocking American tourists, peeping Toms and sweaty commuters.

Voiceover artist Emma Clarke, 36, recorded the announcements in the same smooth tones that have warned millions of passengers to "Mind The Gap" on the London underground system also known as the "Tube" and posted them on her Web site.

The messages include:

* "We would like to remind our American tourist friends that you are almost certainly talking too loudly."

* "Would the passenger in the red shirt pretending to read the paper but who is actually staring at that woman's chest please stop. You are not fooling anyone, you filthy pervert."

* "Would passengers filling in answers on their Sudokus please accept that they are just crosswords for the unimaginative and are not in any way more impressive just because they contain numbers."

* "Here we are crammed again into a sweaty Tube carriage ... If you're female smile at the bloke next to you and make his day. He's probably not had sex for months."

Clarke said it was "just a bit of a laugh." But Tube operator Transport for London (TfL) failed to see the funny side and dropped her, after eight years.

"London Underground is sorry to have to announce that further contracts for Miss Clarke are experiencing severe delays," a TfL spokesman told the Evening Standard on Monday

All the recordings are at: www.emmaclarke.com/fun/mind-the-gap/spoof-london-underground-ann ouncements.

(Reporting by Peter Griffiths, editing by Paul Casciato)

Linky

Hope she gets her job back. :(

In terms of England, despite coming from the place and supporting their sport teams, I'm not in any way patriotic. I know that England is a great country for many reasons (the NHS, an almost unparelled level of culteral integration), but I just struggle, really struggle, as to how anyone of the current generation can be proud of it- as if it was something they'd achieved. I know I am certainly in a minority, but as far as I'm concerned, I could have been born anywhere worldwide. The fact that I was born in a super privileged country does not mean I should personally be proud of it. I've done nothing myself to make it so. Most people's arguments are based around wars we've fought recently. I REALLY do not want to do those people a disservice, but how long do we ride on that undoubted good? As a country, we've been cunts for CENTURIES. But at people's convenience we ignore all that.

Hope people don't think I'm unnecessarily inciting something, it's just something I really feel strongly about. As I said earlier, I am in a minority and even my best, closest friends (and family) disagree so please don't just hate me.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Dismal day here in Wales then, i read the i got tickets post and leddy got a ticket with the help of Whyalla cant post back on that particular thread it wont let me but im thrilled for u both!!!!!! brightened my day. im still looking i have just pm'd someone regarding a ticket dunno if is for real but its worth a try . Not many welsh on this board myself gaskey n fenix and they both got tickets im the only one that hasnt :boohoo:

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Dismal day here in Wales then, i read the i got tickets post and leddy got a ticket with the help of Whyalla cant post back on that particular thread it wont let me but im thrilled for u both!!!!!! brightened my day. im still looking i have just pm'd someone regarding a ticket dunno if is for real but its worth a try . Not many welsh on this board myself gaskey n fenix and they both got tickets im the only one that hasnt :boohoo:

Have I?????? when did that happen???

Nope I haven't got a ticket either ha ha I think there has been a "communication breakdown" somewhere along the line

:o thought you had one sure youre on the list on one of the threads

No I'm afraid not, unless someone really desperately wants to take me!!!

Ops sorry if off topic but the concert is in England ;o)

Archived