2016 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL THREAD

SuperDave

I've been reading where the bars in the "Wrigleyville" area around the park have been gouging the shit out of people there for the game.  Locals/season ticket holders/loyal patrons are not happy.  

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:12 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Yeah, it might be series over all right!!    For the Injuns!!!!!  Hey a humma humma humma,  Hey a humma humma humma.  :popcorn2:  Cubs will not lose another game!

I know that the World Series in not over yet, but, you were saying...

Yeah, so far this hasn't been the "great" World Series I was hoping for. The Cubs bats have been anemic for most of the playoffs and it's really hurting them against Cleveland. I think the Tribe close it out tomorrow--happiness for the city of Cleveland again, and more misery for the Northside of Chicago...

For Rick's sake, I can't wait to see the Cleveland Indians win the 2016 World Series later tonight at Wrigley Field in front of the tens of thousand of Chicago Cubs fans.  In their own park and in their own city.  I love Bill Murray, but it would be "classic" to see him cry over a team that just got humiliated and decimated and over a team that has not won a World Series title in over 108 years.  Seeing that would give Me much pleasure. 

Go Native Americans!!!

9 hours ago, ebk said:

How about those Indians...  

I hope they get to game 6 so the Cubs can win one at home, and the Indians can win the whole thing at home.  That would be nice.

I like this scenario.

I am pretty confident the Cubs will extend this tonight.  If not, their youth will have gotten into their heads so to speak.  I really think Madden is too good to let that happen.  So if you are the Cubs you cannot think about the numbere's and the glaring 3-1 deficit.  If you must, then think Red Sox.  I cannot imagine this team losing 3 games in a row. Zobrist to me is the key  He is the one that can step up and ignite them'

To paraphrase Jan Brady: "Maddon! Maddon! Maddon!"

This constant lionization and focus on Joe Maddon, Super-Genius Manager is getting old. You know, last time I checked Joe Maddon had ZERO World Series titles. Meanwhile, the guy in the opposite dugout, Terry Francona, has TWO!!!

Not to mention Brian Bochy's THREE championships.

It would be nice for Cleveland to win at home in front of their fans. On the other hand when you have a team down it's best to put them away. Golden State learned that the hard way this year.

I just saw the Cubs win a World Series game at Wrigley Field but I think that is kind of funny, sad and pathetic that this was the first World Series win at Wrigley Field in 71 years.  There are at least a dozen or more MLB teams that can claim that they have won a World Series game in their home stadium in the past 15 years.  The Saint Louis Cardinals being one of those teams. 

71 years.  I find that amusing.  Rick was probably in high school back then so he might remember that last World Series win at Wrigley Field. 

I can't believe that the Chicago Cubs are relying on their closer, Chapman, a domestic abuser and known wife-beater.  From what I have read in the past, this dude unloaded a gun while in the presence of his wife. 

I can't wait to see the Cleveland Indians win the 2016 World Series on Tuesday back in Cleveland. 

3 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I just saw the Cubs win a World Series game at Wrigley Field but I think that is kind of funny, sad and pathetic that this was the first World Series win at Wrigley Field in 71 years.  There are at least a dozen or more MLB teams that can claim that they have won a World Series game in their home stadium in the past 15 years.  The Saint Louis Cardinals being one of those teams. 

71 years.  I find that amusing.  Rick was probably in high school back then so he might remember that last World Series win at Wrigley Field. 

Oh, brother. <_<

With Arrieta set for Game 6, a Game 7 is a real possibility. And anything can happen in a Game 7. Cleveland fans should be just as nervous and scared as Chicago fans.

Oh...and welcome to November baseball. Snow warnings ahead. Pretty soon, we will have Thanksgiving baseball to go along with Thanksgiving football. :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Strider said:

With Arrieta set for Game 6, a Game 7 is a real possibility. And anything can happen in a Game 7. Cleveland fans should be just as nervous and scared as Chicago fans.

Oh...and welcome to November baseball. Snow warnings ahead. Pretty soon, we will have Thanksgiving baseball to go along with Thanksgiving football. :rolleyes:

Fer sure. Cleveland and Chicago in November. Brrrr!!!! :D

BILL MURRAY.jpg

17 hours ago, Strider said:

The Cubs are alive and well!  I would expect Madden would like a scenario where he does not even need Chapman here and could use him in 3 innings in a game 7 if all goes right in game 6.  I still say the Cubs are the better team.   I am shocked at how the Red Sox were beaten.  I always said beset of 5 gives the underdog a better chance.  It proved right in that series.  Are you honestly going to believe Cleveland has the best lineup in baseball?  No.  Its Kluber being red hot.  And the pithing that has kept them alive. I think more believed in Texas over Cleveland if the Red Sox were to be defeated.  My own Orioles would have been pure hell if they could have only survived that one game.  I still am fuming that Buck Showalter did not use Zach Britton who was in the house the other night in Chi Town.  Got his award.  Best relief pitcher and it was not even close.  So now Chapman can be a hero.  But not sure about tonight.  I think Arrietta has to be his usual great self.  No reason to believe he wont.  And the Cubs may have less pressure on the road.  They have big Swarber tonight.  That guy along with Rizzo, look out.

The DH definitely helps Chicago as now they can put Schwarber back in the lineup for Game 6 and 7. Arrieta tonight and a rested Hendricks vs. Kluber on short rest in Game 7? This series is far from over.

Meanwhile, am I the only one saddened by the lack of day games in the World Series? Especially this year when the World Series returned to Wrigley Field for the first time since 1945...the last stadium to institute night games, by the way.

I understand the networks wanting to maximize viewership on weekdays but on the weekends would it kill baseball to start a game at 1pm or even 3pm? Day games seem to work out fine for football. The NBA always has Sunday games at 12 noon. When is MLB going to wake up?

With the three Chicago games in this series falling on Friday-Saturday-Sunday, there should have been a tip of the cap to Wrigley tradition by scheduling at least one of the games in the afternoon. Besides, with the World Series creeping into November and frigid temperatures, one way to combat that is by having the games during the day when it is at least a little warmer.

Nobody wants to watch baseball in 30° weather. Well, except for Bud Asshole Selig.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

The DH definitely helps Chicago as now they can put Schwarber back in the lineup for Game 6 and 7. Arrieta tonight and a rested Hendricks vs. Kluber on short rest in Game 7? This series is far from over.

Meanwhile, am I the only one saddened by the lack of day games in the World Series? Especially this year when the World Series returned to Wrigley Field for the first time since 1945...the last stadium to institute night games, by the way.

I understand the networks wanting to maximize viewership on weekdays but on the weekends would it kill baseball to start a game at 1pm or even 3pm? Day games seem to work out fine for football. The NBA always has Sunday games at 12 noon. When is MLB going to wake up?

With the three Chicago games in this series falling on Friday-Saturday-Sunday, there should have been a tip of the cap to Wrigley tradition by scheduling at least one of the games in the afternoon. Besides, with the World Series creeping into November and frigid temperatures, one way to combat that is by having the games during the day when it is at least a little warmer.

Nobody wants to watch baseball in 30° weather. Well, except for Bud Asshole Selig.

I remember the 1970 World Series when my Orioles won and I was at school and we all had to sneak in small battery operated transistor radio's.   Dave McNally hit a Grand Slam in a day game I will never forget.  Did get to see it as the teacher finally gave up and brought a TV in to my recollection.  I was 13 years old.  

8 hours ago, Strider said:

Can't give up ratings for a Friday afternoon.  Can't give up ratings to go against college football on Saturday afternoon.  Certainly can't go against the NFL on Sunday.  Although everyone is shocked that the baseball beat the football on Sunday night.  But that's all on the Cubs... 

Sorry to say, daytime World Series games are history.  I really am sorry.  I love daytime baseball.  I saw a few games in Wrigley before lights. 

Archived