Jason Thinks Led Zeppelin Will Play Again

Whigged

Yes, but there are endless Zep objects/situations that seemingly will never be over. Rare studio out takes,

the perfect audience recording which already has 6 good sources, secrets about the band, the list is

really endless. We're not talking about the Monkees here.

Well now, there you go. That place was avoided by very straight people not even knowing a thing about

it. So what the hell did Page do in there ?? No clear idea. Of course all this stuff is ridiculed until an

unknowing sleepover person leaves in the middle of the night, unnerved by all manner of strangeness.

Of course none of this would be so interesting if Jimmy wasn't attached to it. Still a Zep mystery, did

Page just study the occult or take part in elaborate group ceremonials ?? It's not over.

So much truth regarding how Jimmy, Robert and Jason's performances were picked apart
with a fine tooth comb, while Jonesy really not-so-much. Jason's was based on being in his
dad's shadow, while Jimmy and Robert I guess for some were expecting it to come out
sounding exactly like it did in the 1970's? Sometimes I think Jonesy could be at the centre of
the stage naked as a jaybird playing an out of tune bass with 2 broken strings and/or a
keyboard with missing keys, yet Jimmy and Plant would still be the two that would face the
critiquing and scrutinizing from fans and the music media. And really from day one it's been
that way. In a way it's both a blessing for Jonsey, but also a curse. Jones is such a vital piece
of Zeppelin but so much on a good night or bad night fingers always pointed to Jimmy and / or
Plant. Par for the course I guess when it's the lead singer and lead guitarist - Jimbert always
managing to grab ones attention for whatever reason  haha! 

^ The issue I have with this narrative is that it switches the focus about why nothing materialized post-O2, this idea that Robert couldn't hack it. Yes the songs were in different keys, but that didn't bother me at all, and I was surprised to read how some people thought it somehow marred the songs, as if they weren't executed well. From all reports I've read about the event, the only one so far to have escaped criticism was Jonesy; the other three have gotten their fair share for various reasons.

But the main point is that Robert has been clear and consistent about his desire and reasons for NOT reforming Zep, these being repeated for years leading up to the O2 and then again post-O2. Some may think well he's just hiding the fact that he couldn't possibly sing well, but this concert stands up very well against many boots singing-wise, and Kashmir sounded better than in any other gig Zep had ever played it (voice cracks and all, with the primal screams toned but complemented by a wider vocal range; all of them were incredible and locked in for it). 

Anyone who attended a RP/SSS concert will attest that he can bring it out in any way he pleases, though there are undoubtedly challenges of maintaining the voice with age. But those who think he's hiding behind a faltering instrument have to explain why he refused in all the previous years as well. Just doesn't make sense, even if being older requires adjustments.

Seems people keep throwing different reasons out every now and again as if doing so will somehow clear up a mystery while turning a deaf ear to a very clear, oft-repeated message.

Agreed. Frankly, I think he just simply does not want to do it again. Nothing more and nothing less. 

^ Yep. The reasons may be varied and complex, but the decision is really that simple.

So much truth regarding how Jimmy, Robert and Jason's performances were picked apart
with a fine tooth comb, while Jonesy really not-so-much. Jason's was based on being in his
dad's shadow, while Jimmy and Robert I guess for some were expecting it to come out
sounding exactly like it did in the 1970's? Sometimes I think Jonesy could be at the centre of
the stage naked as a jaybird playing an out of tune bass with 2 broken strings and/or a
keyboard with missing keys, yet Jimmy and Plant would still be the two that would face the
critiquing and scrutinizing from fans and the music media. And really from day one it's been
that way. In a way it's both a blessing for Jonsey, but also a curse. Jones is such a vital piece
of Zeppelin but so much on a good night or bad night fingers always pointed to Jimmy and / or
Plant. Par for the course I guess when it's the lead singer and lead guitarist - Jimbert always
managing to grab ones attention for whatever reason  haha! 

Well Jonesy may have been in the shadows of their attention, but I think for this show it wasn't that he was overlooked once more, but that he was really so great - once again - that there was nothing to complain about. 

Well Jonesy may have been in the shadows of their attention, but I think for this show it wasn't that he was overlooked once more, but that he was really so great - once again - that there was nothing to complain about. 

That's pretty much it. He is incredibly consistent while quietly confident.. He's more concerned about it feeling right than about looking cool and getting all the attention. I think he is taken for granted..   John Paul Jones is a much more consistent player than either Jimmy or Robert .... especially these days. Listen to something like Shibuya Bop. His abilities are at an incredibly high level... To put it bluntly... He rarely if ever f**ks up.. 

Yes, but there are endless Zep objects/situations that seemingly will never be over. Rare studio out takes,

the perfect audience recording which already has 6 good sources, secrets about the band, the list is

really endless. We're not talking about the Monkees here.

I submit to you even all of that is essentially over. This means any studio material not included in the recent remasters campaign will likely not see release in our lifetimes. It also means the number of hoarded significant audience sources can probably be counted on one hand. Insofar as mysteries are concerned, 35+ after disbandment nearly all remaining mysteries of significance can only be resolved by the band members themselves. If you don't believe me check out Zeppelin Mysteries Thread, where all too often we examined minutiae, such as when some groupie joined a particular tour of if Eddie Van Halen approached their table in '74. Meanwhile, Jimmy's 71 years old and hanging out with his 25 year old girlfriend. It's over dude!

I think a lot of people do know the chances of Jimmy, Plant, Jones along with Bonzo #2
taking the stage publically together is lowest of the low on their to-do-list. At this point it's
looking bleak for Jimmy Page alone to play L E A D guitar (let's not count jamming with 10 other guitarists
for one song as playing
) for any type of full length concert - never mind a Zeppelin reunion gig

One side of me says 3 of 4 guys are alive the 4th member has a son who can do a superb
job in his dad's seat. It's not an impossible feat. We're not Beatles fans discussing a "what-if"
reunion concert. The other side of the coin I hear Robert being done with it and the fact Jimmy
currently is so far from concert playing shape tells me 2007 was the grand finale.Maybe things
would be different if the lead guitarist and founder of Led Zeppelin was actively playing still?!?
I don't know. It's hard to think of any type of L Z gig getting off the ground when Jimmy' guitars
seem to have cob webs on them.

I just look at this as fun casual conversation between members of the L Z fandom. Everybody
keeping Zep talk alive and well. If the board was to kibosh this kind of chatter then somebody
should just upload cricket sound effects and gifs of tumbleweed blowing in the wind. As long as
Led Zeppelin continues to attract new fans then topics will get repeated on the board. Besides
having plenty of traffic on the forum for whatever reason is a good thing.

My opinion is something went way wrong between Plant and Jones, it went wrong soon after John Bonham died. Plant and Jones were the spokesmen for Led Zeppelin in 1980, although the interview record that was supposed to go out to stations for the 1979-80 period were destroyed before release. Over the years there have been combinations, but not Plant and Jones for more than a one-odd show. I've observed body language that tells me Plant doesn't really like Jones so much. At the end of the awesome O2 concert Plant appears to avoid Jones twice. So why? Why did Plant tolerate Page's erratic musicianship over a much more solid Jones in the mid 90s? My opinion is that the agreement to split Led Zeppelin may not have been as unanimous as was said. My opinion is also that in 1981 Robert Plant made a decision regarding Led Zeppelin publishing rights that he came to regret. My opinion is Jones my have left Led Zeppelin with better access to publishing royalties. My opinion is Led Zeppelin couldn't get back together proper because Robert insisted on buying back his publishing rights, and the new owners (Jones?) refused. 

The "rift" between Plant and Jones, in my opinion, was due to a combination factors that probably began in when Plant's boy died.  If the stories are true, Robert was miffed that Page and Jones didn't turn up at the funeral.  

Next up was Stockholm during the recording of ITTOD.  Plant and Jones were the principle songwriters for reasons that we are all well aware.  Unlike previous albums, where the principles were Page and Plant, this was a relatively new dynamic.  I stress principle, as we all know that all 4 participated in song writing and song construction over the years.  However, working closely together like they did on ITTOD probably brought on the classic creative differences dynamic.

The next major event was Bonham's death and the breakup of Zep.  Plant began his troubled relationship with all-things-Zep that continues to this day.  He eventually finds his solo career isn't all that hot, and is talked-into the whole MTV Unplugged thing with Page, from which the Page and Plant tours and albums are done.  It would seem that Plant was adamant that this new venture must not be a Zep reunion.  I think he was therefore clear that JPJ would not participate as to include him would be seen by everyone as a clear Zep reunion.  It was this banishment of JPJ, and particularly in 1998, where their tour was like a full-blown Zep show, that JPJ seems to have got upset over his non-involvement.  Plant, as we know, seems to have got upset at what we believed was Jimmy engineering him into a Zep show, and walked out.

Now I think the "rift" is all but over now.  They played their great reunion show.  However, as disinterested as Jones claims to be, I have a suspicion that he would like the massive financial payday of a Zep tour that Plant continues to veto.  

Remember, also, that Plant and Jones had the least connection in the band.  They came from different part of the UK.  Even though Bonham and Jones also came from the same different parts, they clearly developed a good partnership as the band's rhythm section.  The same geographic can be said for Page and Plant, but being the principle songwriters, the two frontmen, not to mention the friendship that began at Page's Panbourne home and their time at Bron-yr-Aur, their relationship is far more complex. 

I submit to you even all of that is essentially over. This means any studio material not included in the recent remasters campaign will likely not see release in our lifetimes. It also means the number of hoarded significant audience sources can probably be counted on one hand. Insofar as mysteries are concerned, 35+ after disbandment nearly all remaining mysteries of significance can only be resolved by the band members themselves. If you don't believe me check out Zeppelin Mysteries Thread, where all too often we examined minutiae, such as when some groupie joined a particular tour of if Eddie Van Halen approached their table in '74. Meanwhile, Jimmy's 71 years old and hanging out with his 25 year old girlfriend. It's over dude!

My guess is that we'll have to wait until Plant, Page and Jones have gone to that great gig in the sky for definitive biographies.  I don't see any of them writing a tell-all autobiography like Steve Tyler or Keith Richards.

Quite right Disco Duck. Especially Jimmy. He's wise to wait on having his autobiography released.
I think writing a spill the beans tell all autobiography about everything under the sun while alive
could indeed get.....messy. Events that have been swept under the rug (outside of some books
and VH1 type specials) and if brought to the forefront it would be like opening Pandora's box.
The fact he says he wants to avoid legal wranglings and unpleasantness and tell HIS side of the
story says it all. I don't know what all he is referring to, but I bet it has been suggested to wait on
doing a book. His recent book was a fabulous collection of pictures, but quite telling in some regards
that certain people who were indeed in his life specifically in Zeppelin years were absent from it.

Back to the original subject from Jason Bonham. As along as 3 out of the 4 guys are alive and kicking,
I think there will always be chit chat about the 3 of them along with Jason playing together again.

I'm still waiting on Jimmy to say some musicians he has been working with lately. L Z gigs are not
even on my radar. :D

Jimmy will play and tour. Some new material, but mostly playing Zeppelin. He has said a few times "I just love playing Led Zeppelin" - and why not? I can imaging JPJ and/or JB guest appearing through tours, probably not the 3 of them touring as a 'group' as that really does look/feel like a Zep tribute kinda deal. More probable, certain tracks, at certain venues, when the stars align, one or both do a special appearance kind of deal.

To be honest, even if Jimmy toured and had multiple guests play/sing along, and that was his format, that would  be brilliant.

Zep reunion tour? - no chance. Shut the gates, put down your glasses, ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building.

That's where it is most likely to head IMHO.

My guess is that we'll have to wait until Plant, Page and Jones have gone to that great gig in the sky for definitive biographies.  I don't see any of them writing a tell-all autobiography like Steve Tyler or Keith Richards.

I have read the Steven Tyler autobiography but not Keef's . 

Jimmy Page will never write an autobiography, at least not a true one.  I cannot imagine or see reading an autobiography from Jimmy Page that honestly talks about or deals with all the "controversy" that we all have heard about him for decades:

Aleister Crowley and/or Jimmy's involvement in Satanism (which I really believe).

Lori Maddox/Underage groupies.

Massive cocaine/heroin addictions.

Led Wallet/Jimmy's stinginess.

Etc... Etc... Etc...

Does any real and honest fan of Mr. Jimmy Page really that that Jimmy Page (at this point in his life) would ever admit to such things in a book penned by the Man Himself?  I think not.  The one thing that I know is that Jimmy Page is a shrewd and very calculating musician and business man and that He would never divulge information about His Real Personal Life in a written format. 

This is a very shrewd and calculated move on Jimmy's behalf and He knows that this will continue to carry on the Legacy of Mr. Page hundreds and even thousands of years from now. 

Archived