Kashmir -over rated?

SamG

I dunno, this song is lacking something and the drum sound is muddy. I think it could have been a great success but it wasn't executed properly.

Perhaps some polyrhythms would have helped?

polyrhythms?? yes, I think they'll use them ... for sure :rolleyes:

one of the best songs ever and you suggest polyrhythms ?? :blink:

no words

OVERRATED - The most overused word on the internet. Something's popular, I don't like it, therefore it must be overrated! :rolleyes:

That's because it gives your opinion more value. "In my opinion, this is overrated" sounds definitely better than "I don't like it". It makes you look like the one who understands stuff....

That's because it gives your opinion more value. "In my opinion, this is overrated" sounds definitely better than "I don't like it". It makes you look like the one who understands stuff....

:blink:

I dunno, this song is lacking something and the drum sound is muddy. I think it could have been a great success but it wasn't executed properly.

Your entitled to your opinion but !! <_< It couldn't be more perfect !!

I love Kashmir. The place and the song. When my husband and I met, we actually discussed the song (and the place) during one of our first conversations. I've heard Zep play it live and it is phenomenal. The song has so many levels and layers of meaning for us. I am probably terribly biased though because Kashmir is our "special song."

Yes.

I wasn't there but the audio clip I heard was pretty damned amazing! Probably one of my favorites :D
When theres something big going on you'll find the sad trolls hanging around.Never happy these ones,it's cool,they don't last for long.Best Wishes !

Kashmir is one of my favourite songs so I agree with positive opinions about that. I've heard 'Kashmir' is favourite song of the board too.

I like 'Kashmir' 'cause it hasn't become commercial as for example 'Stairway to heaven'.

IMHO this's a masterpiece. I can't imagine LZ without 'Kashmir'. I hope to hear it live someday :rolleyes:

Of all the things to slag....its the drums????

Hell, I personally think its a better drum track than Levee. I mean, you can slag the tune for getting boring after the 3 minute mark with the 'ooh oohs....slowly flying' part when they lose momentum...but the drums??? The Brutal Artistry instrumental of Kashmir is stripped bare and damn near perfection.

I love Kashmir. The place and the song. When my husband and I met, we actually discussed the song (and the place) during one of our first conversations. I've heard Zep play it live and it is phenomenal. The song has so many levels and layers of meaning for us. I am probably terribly biased though because Kashmir is our "special song."

I love the heavy, hypnotic, sludgy rhythm section in this tune. And I love Plant's hippy lyrics floating over the top of it all. Probably the most "atmospheric" of all Zep's tunes--close your eyes and you are instantly somewhere else, like maybe buzzing on hashish in a camel train in the Sahara.

In fact, Plant wrote this in 1973 while in the Sahara--it is not about Kashmir at all (which is at the northernmost tip of India). But I can't imagine any other name for this song. Epic.

I've heard them play it live, too--blood, thunder and the hammer of the gods.

"Kashmir" is my all-time favorite Zeppelin song. It is nothing short of a masterpiece and regarded by Robert Plant as his favorite Zeppelin tune. I love this song for everything. The drums, lyrics, and guitar/keyboard mixture that still gives me goosebumps. Forever amazing. :thumbsup:

Of all the things to slag....its the drums????

Hell, I personally think its a better drum track than Levee. I mean, you can slag the tune for getting boring after the 3 minute mark with the 'ooh oohs....slowly flying' part when they lose momentum...but the drums??? The Brutal Artistry instrumental of Kashmir is stripped bare and damn near perfection.

I didn't slag the drums, I said they were muddy-which they are in comparison to other Zeppelin tracks. They seemed to have put some kind of phase effect on them.

Lyrically it falls into the same box as Stairway, being quite mystical and esoteric; something that I don't particularly find attractive. It tends to set my bullshit meter off. It reeks of hippiedom. The whole pseudo-spiritual thing has been proved time and time again to be an illusion.

Overall the track is lacking in variety and momentum.

Lyrically it falls into the same box as Stairway, being quite mystical and esoteric; something that I don't particularly find attractive. It tends to set my bullshit meter off. It reeks of hippiedom. The whole pseudo-spiritual thing has been proved time and time again to be an illusion.

No arguement there.

I disagree with the lack of variety thing though. Its just that the song goes on too long. There no where else to go with that riff really unless you make it a Yes-like suite thing.

Archived