Did Plant ever write a song for / about Bonzo ?

kg723

Sorry but it really IS a sore subject.

Since I have no personal knowledge of the subject, I won't dare say I know different.

My opinion however is that at some point there was closure. I cannot see Robert reworking lyrics on such a sensitive subject to simply to entertain people.

I've probably said enough as well. In keeping with Evster's wishes, I say no more.

True enough, it's well in the past and hardly worth rehashing here.

Have we determined if Plant ever wrote a song for Bonzo? :rolleyes: I know what I think about "Four Winds" but that's just a personal interpretation.

Steve, the "Oh, Jimmyyy," line is on the fade out at the very end of "Calling To You," on "Fate of Nations," which is the song I always associated with being about Jimmy, rather than "Memory Song." I think the latter is about the demise of Zeppelin and that the "friend" who comes to him in his dreams is in fact Bonzo.

I would agree that "Trouble Your Money," on "Shaken N' Stirred," is about Bonzo too.

Indi

Steve, the "Oh, Jimmyyy," line is on the fade out at the very end of "Calling To You," on "Fate of Nations," which is the song I always associated with being about Jimmy, rather than "Memory Song." I think the latter is about the demise of Zeppelin and that the "friend" who comes to him in his dreams is in fact Bonzo.

I would agree that "Trouble Your Money," on "Shaken N' Stirred," is about Bonzo too.

Indi

Yes, agreed on the Calling to You. He knew Jimmy was working with Coverdale. Good points on the other songs as well.

I think Little by Little is about Bonham and or the loss of Zrppelin

Little by little my heart grieves

little by little I call your name

little by little my tears fall

little by little everything changes

little by little the time goes

little by little the days pass by

little by little the air clears

little by little I can breathe again

back to the mirror your good friend

talk to the mirror play out your game

sat in the middle I stop then

look at the winner the price you paid

close the window i tremble

love was a fall that had no end

now little by little the air clears

little by little i can breathe again

I call your name call your name

evreything changes

evreything changes

evreything changes

Didn't that song come out around 1982 some time after Valentine's Day on Shaken and Stirred?

That song concerns the loss of Karac and Robert's love for Maureen all the way thru

"...he is a feather in the wind"

I know it isn't really my buisness, so I'm only looking for what has actually been said, but if he loved her "all the way thru", was the divorce her choice?

Like I said, if it isn't in print or an interview, or the likes I don't want to know.

I know it isn't really my buisness, so I'm only looking for what has actually been said, but if he loved her "all the way thru", was the divorce her choice?

Like I said, if it isn't in print or an interview, or the likes I don't want to know.

Nothing has ever been stated in any interviews.

Since I have no personal knowledge of the subject, I won't dare say I know different.

My opinion however is that at some point there was closure. I cannot see Robert reworking lyrics on such a sensitive subject to simply to entertain people.

Indi

Wow, have you never listened to 'The Principle of Moments'? A divorce is a pretty sensitive subject and yet it is all over that album to entertain us all.

One of the things I really admire about Robert is that he never shrinks from laying bare THE most sensitive of issues in his lyrics - it's all there.

Wow, you are comparing tragedy to make a point? Yes, I have listened to the principle of moments. No, I do not see Robert changing the words to a song to appease anyone but himself. It's an entirely different case, and does not warrant comparison. I do not claim to know what he thinks either, but IMO as stated before, this subject had to have closure. God forbid the world does not know about it.

L.A. Times columnist Robert Hilburn was always among Zeppelin's biggest critics in America and I'm reminded of a scathing review he wrote for Pictures at Eleven. He dismissed it as whiny, narcisstic and self-indulgent. A classic example of someone completely failing to get or even remotely understand an album because they had no awareness or interest in the events within the life of the artist.

Or perhaps this one from 'I Believe', written about ten years prior for Karac:

Big farm, on the top of a hill

A hopeless gesture and last farewell

I do like these interpretations.

To my ears it's not "Big farm" it's "Big Fire on the top of a hill".

In the video he also is seen burning the fire on the hill. I believe he once said he actually did this after Karacs death...the Viking funeral pyre etc

hence the next line " hopeless gesture and last farewell"

To my ears it's not "Big farm" it's "Big Fire on the top of a hill".

In the video he also is seen burning the fire on the hill. I believe he once said he actually did this after Karacs death...the Viking funeral pyre etc

hence the next line " hopeless gesture and last farewell"

See my post at the top of the previous page Dave. :D

L.A. Times columnist Robert Hilburn was always among Zeppelin's biggest critics in America and I'm reminded of a scathing review he wrote for Pictures at Eleven. He dismissed it as whiny, narcisstic and self-indulgent. A classic example of someone completely failing to get or even remotely understand an album because they had no awareness or interest in the events within the life of the artist.

Maybe if the writer would have taken the time to wear something nice, and wait outside of a hotel, or inside it's lobby, or bar, on some particular evening when he (or she) knew the artist was in town, they could have had the oppportunity to sit in his lap, and now be on text message terms.

This would have given the writer a deep knowledge of the artist. :blink:

Wow, you are comparing tragedy to make a point? Yes, I have listened to the principle of moments. No, I do not see Robert changing the words to a song to appease anyone but himself. It's an entirely different case, and does not warrant comparison. I do not claim to know what he thinks either, but IMO as stated before, this subject had to have closure. God forbid the world does not know about it.

I'm going to ignore the absurd 'comparing tragedies' accusation - my point was that Plant writes lyrics about INTENSLEY personal topics all the time. You said you didn't believe that he would use a situation to entertain people (via lyrics) - my point was he does it all the time. And he does. I don't believe he looks on his lyrics as mere 'entertainment' And having talked with him about this very subject, I will happily claim that I know what he thinks about it. And I'll claim that to anyone who wants to come at me about it too.

Nothing personal in this discussion between us - I hope you accept this New Year toast as a gesture. :beer:

I'm going to ignore the absurd 'comparing tragedies' accusation - my point was that Plant writes lyrics about INTENSLEY personal topics all the time. You said you didn't believe that he would use a situation to entertain people (via lyrics) - my point was he does it all the time. And he does. I don't believe he looks on his lyrics as mere 'entertainment' And having talked with him about this very subject, I will happily claim that I know what he thinks about it. And I'll claim that to anyone who wants to come at me about it too.

Nothing personal in this discussion between us - I hope you accept this New Year toast as a gesture. :beer:

It is your choice to ignore, it wasn't meant to accuse it was meant to be absurd. So you did get the point. I never said Robert does not write lyrics on a personal level. Infact my original point was, he changed the words in Carouselambra to show his feelings at the present. It's my opinion he did this, not that I am stating fact. Even if I knew it was, this is not the place to air it. Absolutely nothing personal. If I came off in a personal manner, please except my apology. Actually, I love being able to converse with someone like yourself who's great wealth of knowledge I can learn from. And I have. I respect you and your opinion, Knebby. Doesn't mean we will always agree. Thank you for the offer. Happy New Year, Blessings to you, and your family, and I look forward to discussing other subjects to share our thoughts on, in the future.

Regards

Maybe if the writer would have taken the time to wear something nice, and wait outside of a hotel, or inside it's lobby, or bar, on some particular evening when he (or she) knew the artist was in town, they could have had the oppportunity to sit in his lap, and now be on text message terms. This would have given the writer a deep knowledge of the artist. :blink:

My point is Knebby is privy to those details and I would take her word for it concerning

Pictures at Eleven or any of Robert's other solo efforts.

As for Hiburn, he had it out for Zeppelin from day one. Even when they were The Kings

of the LA concert scene, he brought his axe to the concert and used it in his reviews.

Archived