Guilty Pleasures

gibsonfan159

The Carpenters, I'm afraid. My mom loved them dearly and in the seventies I secretly snugged away her triple gatefold album 'Now and Then' to my room from time time to time. Imagine a young brat full of testosterone listening to an album with  MOR pop adorned with  a 'weird' cover (airbrushed painting with brother and sister Carpenter  driving along in a Ferrari). What a devistating view for my adolescent friends to catch me in such a  hazardous position. 😡

Edited by duckman

6 hours ago, Virginia said:

The Bee Gees.

Me too. The Gibb brothers were fantastic at what they did. Their music overall may not be the most complex or deep, but as far as love songs and pop melodies go, they're right up there with the best.

As for a few others, I like The Bangles...probably mostly for Susanna Hoffs. :wub: Though to be fair, most of their catalog isn't nearly as cheesy or embarrassing as Walk Like an Egyptian.

I also enjoy Journey, even if their stuff is cheesy and overplayed as hell on the radio.

Come to think of it, I do enjoy a lot of 80s pop/rock, along with a bit of hair metal. Idk, maybe just because it's just so upbeat and "fun" sounding.

2 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Me too. The Gibb brothers were fantastic at what they did. Their music overall may not be the most complex or deep, but as far as love songs and pop melodies go, they're right up there with the best.

As for a few others, I like The Bangles...probably mostly for Susanna Hoffs. :wub: Though to be fair, most of their catalog isn't nearly as cheesy or embarrassing as Walk Like an Egyptian.

I also enjoy Journey, even if their stuff is cheesy and overplayed as hell on the radio.

Come to think of it, I do enjoy a lot of 80s pop/rock, along with a bit of hair metal. Idk, maybe just because it's just so upbeat and "fun" sounding.

I don't listen to them often, but every once in a while I love a bit of disco! 80s music too; some, at least

16 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I find myself listening to the Cars' first album a lot. It's cheesey pop rock, but damn those songs were catchy. That drum sound was legendary.

Nothing cheesy or pop rock about the Cars first album. It got played to death amongst my peer group extremely loudly in those last years of the 70's. The Cars were considered to be "New Wave"  defo not "Pop" (shudder). Funny though they were a short lived fad "Candy O" their second album didn't get the same love "The Cars" got, they were resigned to the that was then bin, then in 1985 "Drive" became  a huge hit worldwide which gave them a whole new audience.

As for my guilty pleasure, I don't have one at the moment. I did have love for the 'Blues Stomp' of Adele's "Rollin' in the Deep", but that was nearly ten years ago.

Edited by JTM

On 10/13/2018 at 7:07 PM, ZepHead315 said:

, along with a bit of hair metal. Idk, maybe just because it's just so upbeat and "fun" sounding.

I grew up on the hair metal/grunge cusp. I gotta admit, I've always leaned toward hair metal. I'm prone to crank up Steelheart's "I'll never let you go". That freaking high note does something to me. "Ballad of Jayne" is also a favorite.

10 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I grew up on the hair metal/grunge cusp. I gotta admit, I've always leaned toward hair metal. I'm prone to crank up Steelheart's "I'll never let you go". That freaking high note does something to me. "Ballad of Jayne" is also a favorite.

Hair metal has its place in the musical food chain.  The Crue is fun, mindless entertainment.  LA Guns was probably the best of the bunch, Tracii Guns is an excellent guitarist.  

On 10/13/2018 at 11:57 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

I find myself listening to the Cars' first album a lot. It's cheesey pop rock, but damn those songs were catchy. That drum sound was legendary.

Train and Maroon 5 are cheesy pop rock. Nothing cheesy about the Cars...especially the first record. Maybe by "Heartbeat City" but that first album is solid. "Moving in Stereo" gets me every time.

On 10/13/2018 at 2:39 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

GWAR!

:lol: I got slimed at a few of their shows. Did you ever check out Green Jellö or the Imperial Butt Wizards?

Abba, Carpenters, Flock of Seagulls, Seals & Crofts, Chicago, America...just a few of my guilty pleasures.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:09 AM, Strider said:

Train and Maroon 5 are cheesy pop rock. Nothing cheesy about the Cars...especially the first record. Maybe by "Heartbeat City" but that first album is solid. "Moving in Stereo" gets me every time.

:lol: I got slimed at a few of their shows. Did you ever check out Green Jellö or the Imperial Butt Wizards?

Abba, Carpenters, Flock of Seagulls, Seals & Crofts, Chicago, America...just a few of my guilty pleasures.

I've heard of Green Jello, but not Imperial Butt Wizards, I'll have to check them out (great name).

Well since i just defended dee snider in the twisted sister thread. In the 80s i bought alot of records, john cougar, joan jett, the cars, bruce springsteen and the rolling stones....

All i know is, the cars singer married a super model and then the cars disappeared. 

• 7 months later...