Does anyone have any controversial opinions about Zep?

Cozy 4ever

Just now, CherrySunburstWorshiper said:

That's cool. I was just sayin..

I do believe Carmine only because I've heard Jimmy say the same thing and: why would he lie? I mean, if he were gonna lie he would say "oh, John told me he listened to me every day." not, He told me he heard me do something I can't do and don't remember and probably only did it the one time...

That makes no sense to me.

Sorry I was just trying to lighten things up around here.. Carmine loved Bonham and even dedicated a solo album to him. 

4 minutes ago, Christopher Lees said:

Never one of my favorites. In 30 something years, I've probably listened to it 5 times. However, I could see swapping it in for Hats Off to Roy Harper.

Ouch! Fair enough. I, on the other hand find it's one of the best Blues Songs ever. Hats off is great too. I like Furry Lewis more than the Bukka White version and find Hats Off to be some combination of the two.

But Poor Tom I could listen to over and over...Maybe I'm a masogynist or something and just like the fact that Annie gets hers in the end...

Edited by CherrySunburstWorshiper

19 minutes ago, CherrySunburstWorshiper said:

That's cool. I was just sayin..

I do believe Carmine only because I've heard Jimmy ( or somebody I'm confusing with Jimmy) say the same thing and: why would he lie? I mean, if he were gonna lie he would say "oh, John told me he listened to me every day." not, He told me he heard me do something I can't do and don't remember and probably only did it the one time...

That makes no sense to me.

No, there's a connection and an influence and all of that but Carmine simply goes to far. He claims Bonham considered him one of his IDOLS. Give me a break! Carmine was only two years older than Bonzo, and Bonzo was NOT an unknown when they met. Bonham was relatively well known in and around Birmingham for his ferocious playing and volume as far back as '66-'67.  

1 minute ago, SteveAJones said:

No, there's a connection and an influence and all of that but Carmine simply goes to far. He claims Bonham considered him one of his IDOLS. Give me a break! Carmine was only two years older than Bonzo, and Bonzo was NOT an unknown when they met. Bonham was relatively well known in and around Birmingham for his ferocious playing and volume as far back as '66-'67.  

I agree. I was only refering to the one reference, I don't watch many Carmine Apice videos though I would certainly reject anything further. There might not be many interviews with Bonham, but the one's that are around don't mention him. They do mention ABBA, but let's not go there...

2 minutes ago, CherrySunburstWorshiper said:

There might not be many interviews with Bonham, but the one's that are around don't mention him. 

Exactly! Further, John's sister Deborah, who was there, has talked about fellow drummers being transfixed on Bonzo's foot work circa '66-'67. Bonzo may have needed Carmine's mentorship on becoming a star, but he sure as hell didn't need anyone's mentorship on how to play the kit!

13 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

. And it comes up in every interview. He got Bonzo his Ludwig endorsement. Exact kit as his and on and on. Every interview.. word for word. 

Carmine is cool and a great drummer, but that gets a little annoying. 

Edited by the chase

2 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Exactly! Further, John's sister Deborah, who was there, has talked about fellow drummers being transfixed on Bonzo's foot work circa '66-'67. Bonzo may have needed Carmine's mentorship on becoming a star, but he sure as hell didn't need anyone's mentorship on how to play the kit!

So that last part he does, Bonzo ends maybe Rock n Roll (I forget now) on How the West was Won, but like a friggin jackhammer, but still with rhythm. Not just louder and faster, but way louder and faster. To the point where you barely hear the drums he's hitting with the sticks. Even at low volume you feel it hit your chest. 

26 minutes ago, the chase said:

. And it comes up in every interview. He got Bonzo his Ludwig endorsement. Exact kit as his and on and on. Every interview.. word for word. 

Carmine is cool and a great drummer, but that gets a little annoying. 

Yeah, I was just playing Devil's Advocate with my reference, but it seems like he's star struck or, Bonzo Struck, and has taken an acorn and made a great big Oak Tree of BS out of it...

I'm not sure about in the mid to late 60's but my kid, a very aspirational artist is not influence in any way by anyone within ten tears of his age. He may steal and pervert an idea by a more current artist but in no way influenced. Influence takes years to seep in and most likely only truly from one's teenage years.

3 hours ago, the chase said:

Nobody understands your point.. give me a break. I get it. I just don’t agree with it. Mediocre technically?  That’s ridiculous.

Yes it's pretty ridiculous. He can't even give an example why Bonzo was "so" bad technically. If you can't prove your point, don't state it as a fact. Simple as that. It's a personal opinion and he was proven wrong by many guys who have more knowledge about drumming than he (and I'm not even talking about myself here).

Edited by the-ocean87

5 hours ago, CherrySunburstWorshiper said:

What's your point?

I get the opinion part, my response was questioning why the guy is here. He clearly has some strong negative opinions, not contraversial, down right negative. Get a dictionary, look both words up and then maybe you will get it. Now, if I'd made a Post and not a Reply, then your reply would make sense. But I didn't, so you don't.

And the post is clearly meant to spark debate. Another point you miss by a mile. So you're 0 for 2.

You asked why Gibsonfan159 was here. The way I see it he is participating in this thread by throwing out controversial opinions, in my view that involves negativity. So please put your "0 for 2" where the sun doesn't shine.

Edited by JTM

'Real drummers', 'proper drummers, 'playing to impress' and 'mediocre technically' - four quotes from this thread which give you a clue about Gibson's priorities.
Fuck the content, stand back in amazement at the technical ability.
Yeah, that Shakespeare - couldn't spell his own name the same way twice, what a shit writer, eh...? 

53 minutes ago, Brigante said:

'Real drummers', 'proper drummers, 'playing to impress' and 'mediocre technically' - four quotes from this thread which give you a clue about Gibson's priorities.
Yeah, that Shakespeare - couldn't spell his own name the same way twice, what a shit writer, eh...?   

Well, there is that but also what I would call an apples to oranges comparison. Why compare a 60s/70s era rock drummer (Bonham) to jazz drummers of any era? Aside from that, it all too quickly becomes a vs. argument...John Bonham vs. Carmine Appice...John Bonham vs. (fill in the blank). On that note, I'll express a controversial OPINION and say that all things considered, Neil Peart has eclipsed John Bonham as rock's greatest drummer, though Bonham remains the most influential.

Hey a good debate is healthy. I don’t agree with alot of posts and opinions on this whole webpage. I’m so tired of reading posts of people slagging a 75 year old Jimmy Page for not working harder...  It gets old.. He looks happy, healthy, content clean and sober..  but I wouldn’t want anyone to not post their opinions or get banned or run out of town either. Jimmy kind of asked for it.. I know. Just be prepared for a response if you throw anything out there. Simple as that. Just like I’ll hear about that remark.. it’s all good.  

Besides the Patriots won their 6th Super Bowl last week.., 

Edited by the chase

15 hours ago, JTM said:

You asked why Gibsonfan159 was here. The way I see it he is participating in this thread by throwing out controversial opinions, in my view that involves negativity. So please put your "0 for 2" where the sun doesn't shine.

Not here on the thread you dolt, why join a fan website of a band you clearly don't like. My point, if I haven't made it abundantly clear already, is that he shouldn't have even seen the thread because he has such disdain for the band in general, save Robert and not by much, logic would dictate this website would be the last place he'd register on. IT's INUENDO!!!!!!!

And I think there are enough examples in this thread to illustrate my point about contraversy vs pure trolling. And again, the real point of this thread is to spark debate. Smething it has clearly done, breathing life into an otherwise lacking Forums with 2 year old threads still topping the menu. Except of course for these sidebars where people have to explain themselves about explaining themselves...

Stick that In U End Tho...

(I couldn't help myself on that one)

11 hours ago, Brigante said:

Brilliant!

Screw Roy, hats off to you...

Edited by CherrySunburstWorshiper

14 minutes ago, the chase said:

Hey a good debate is healthy. I don’t agree with alot of posts and opinions on this whole webpage. I’m so tired of reading posts of people slagging a 75 year old Jimmy Page for not working harder...  It gets old.. He looks happy, healthy, content clean and sober..  but I wouldn’t want anyone to not post their opinions or get banned or run out of town either. Jimmy kind of asked for it.. I know. Just be prepared for a response if you throw anything out there. Simple as that. Just like I’ll hear about that remark.. it’s all good.  

Besides the Patriots won their 6th Super Bowl last week.., 

Kudos

I like to think Page is just that player who, to stay true to his philosophy, purposely stays unfresh so as to make it interesting when he does play. The only other options are:

Play the same songs over and over till you shoot yourself 

or

Don't play the fan favorites and piss everyone off. 

It's not Jimmy's fault that most everything he did is a fan favorite, then again...

And I'm still ticked about not getting my bet in on time. Until this last one, I had bet on every Patriot SB win. Not a Pats fan, but one of the few who respect them for their greatness anyway. I am a Yankee fan and know all too well the haters. I can't bring myself to do that. Plus, it would diminish the hate I have for the Red Sox, so.....

(does this mean we can't be friends?) :D

On 2/3/2019 at 8:38 PM, miker1102 said:

I love listening to people talk about Page and Plant like they know them. We are just some fans on a forum who know little or nothing other than what we read. My favorite is the "how inconsistent" and "sloppy" page is as a guitarist after 75. By 1975 he had changed the sound of modern music, recorded some of the most compelling guitar solos ever played , sold millions albums, and broke attendance records all over the world.

Addiction destroyed this band. Jimmy page is one of the best guitar players who ever lived. Case closed. 

Well said ..good post !

3 hours ago, CherrySunburstWorshiper said:

Kudos

I like to think Page is just that player who, to stay true to his philosophy, purposely stays unfresh so as to make it interesting when he does play. The only other options are:

Play the same songs over and over till you shoot yourself 

or

Don't play the fan favorites and piss everyone off. 

It's not Jimmy's fault that most everything he did is a fan favorite, then again...

And I'm still ticked about not getting my bet in on time. Until this last one, I had bet on every Patriot SB win. Not a Pats fan, but one of the few who respect them for their greatness anyway. I am a Yankee fan and know all too well the haters. I can't bring myself to do that. Plus, it would diminish the hate I have for the Red Sox, so.....

(does this mean we can't be friends?) :D

Sure we can.  I like Rick and he hates every New England based team with a passion. 

i want that you know that really the big difference between bonham and the others is that, the others when they do solo they
usually give their best, and the bonham in my opinion makes the solo with great reserve, and well away of his limit and he was
never interested in showing how good he was, so I guess it was the one that got more class that is good
and thank you.

On 2/6/2019 at 3:00 AM, Balthazor said:

Here's my controversial opinion: all things considered, I don't think their infamous Live Aid performance was all that bad. Considering how last-minute the thing appeared to be thrown together, considering how wasted Page was and how little Plant gave a fuck, and considering how someone thought it was a good idea to wedge Phil Collins into that mess, well it could have been much, much worse.

Completely agree.  That set still gets me emotional after all these years.  I still feel the same when Robert says “Good Evening” and “there’ll be a short intermission, while I get some....monitors” than I did that July evening.  What an epic 20 minutes. So much love and emotion for the band, by the fans.  That’s all I ever take away from that day. 

On that note I wished the sound technicians running the tv mix hadn’t been fucked out of their minds during the Live Aid and Atlantic reunions. They sounded 1000 times worse than everyone else’s mixes those days/nights. 

They should’ve never played Dazed after ‘72, ‘73 at the very latest. Same with Black Dog and Heartbreaker.