What's the weather like where you are?

madison

Magnificent winters day, rode up Mount Tamborine for lunch with the family. People EVERYWHERE and very difficult to get a seat for lunch anywhere as cafe's are still limiting dining. But we managed to get some mad hot dogs. Low 20's, sunny and beautiful. Great Sunday weather.

On 7/3/2020 at 4:22 AM, rm2551 said:

Seriously, when are you guys going to adopt celcius. Water freezes at zero and boils at 100. So damn easy!!!! 😝

We didn't defeat Germany in WW2 to adopt some European way of measuring stuff. No thank you!!!!  Standard is fine with us. We all know what an inch, a yard, a mile is just fine over here in America. Every time someone uses a metric number I think---- what the hell does that mean?

John Wayne stood 6 foot 4 inches tall. Saying it as "193.04 cm" just sounds dumb.  You guys can  describe Roger Moore's height which ever way feels the most posh for you all.

30BOGDONAVICH-articleLarge.jpg?quality=7003790671c0be318456385b0eb5a2f7b.jpg

Edited by kipper

9 hours ago, kipper said:

John Wayne stood 6 foot 4 inches tall. Saying it as "193.04 cm" just sounds dumb.

We use both to be totally honest. Yeah, cm's to describe height is nuffy. And inches can be handy, but not if you are being exact with measurements.

Overall, metric is undeniably better and easier. You know 1 litre of water = 1 kilo in weight, so everything is neatly ties in too.

Anyway, another ridiculously nice spring type day here in the middle of winter. Haven't had much rain this winter even though it was predicted.  22c but in the sun it felt much warmer. Nights are too damn cold though. Come on Spring!!!! Me thinks summers are going to get unbearable in the coming years.....

13 hours ago, rm2551 said:

We use both to be totally honest. Yeah, cm's to describe height is nuffy. And inches can be handy, but not if you are being exact with measurements.

Overall, metric is undeniably better and easier. You know 1 litre of water = 1 kilo in weight, so everything is neatly ties in too.

I can honestly tell you that Americans from my generation really only knew one metric to standard conversion and that was that a "key" was 2.2 lbs.   Hehehehe

"Comin' in to Los Angeleeeeze, bringin' in a couple of keys...."

So when you blokes are describing 'Mr Johnson', do you say it inches or in centimeters?

oh-my.jpg

Rained like a bastard early this evening. Had to put about 4 garbage cans and numerouse buckets inside the ratty roofed garage. Luckily, all my boxes were in a dry spot. Have to fix that roof someday.

The only real metric measurement that took off in the USA is the ever popular ghetto fave, 9mm.

Dark and gloomy with curtains of drizzle. Cold too. Forecast is changing for tomorrow and Friday. The drizzle goes away only to be replaced by Tropical storm Eduoard, which will bring heavy persistent rain into the weekend. Lovely July summer weather. 

2 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Dark and gloomy with curtains of drizzle. Cold too. Forecast is changing for tomorrow and Friday. The drizzle goes away only to be replaced by Tropical storm Eduoard, which will bring heavy persistent rain into the weekend. Lovely July summer weather. 

Rainy and stormy here too, CP. Rains started this morning at 11 and now the thunderstorms are moving in.  Another tropical storm should be forming off the coast and heading up the eastern seaboard. 

36 minutes ago, Walter said:

Rainy and stormy here too, CP. Rains started this morning at 11 and now the thunderstorms are moving in.  Another tropical storm should be forming off the coast and heading up the eastern seaboard. 

No doubt we'll be meeting that one next week Chuck

21 hours ago, kipper said:

I can honestly tell you that Americans from my generation really only knew one metric to standard conversion and that was that a "key" was 2.2 lbs.   Hehehehe

"Comin' in to Los Angeleeeeze, bringin' in a couple of keys...."

So when you blokes are describing 'Mr Johnson', do you say it inches or in centimeters?

oh-my.jpg

ego dictates we use inches with the usual "generous" estimate assigned. :hysterical:

Heating on, woodburner set. Miserable outside. The leaves are falling off the trees in the garden and for the first time in living memory, our golf course is closed in July due to flooding. Fuck me it wasn't even closed in January

Edited by chillumpuffer

On 7/7/2020 at 6:04 AM, kipper said:

We didn't defeat Germany in WW2 to adopt some European way of measuring stuff. No thank you!!!!  Standard is fine with us. We all know what an inch, a yard, a mile is just fine over here in America. Every time someone uses a metric number I think---- what the hell does that mean?

John Wayne stood 6 foot 4 inches tall. Saying it as "193.04 cm" just sounds dumb.  You guys can  describe Roger Moore's height which ever way feels the most posh for you all.

30BOGDONAVICH-articleLarge.jpg?quality=7003790671c0be318456385b0eb5a2f7b.jpg

Metric system is for developed countries like Russia, as it much more progressive. 193 cm. sounds much more better. As for me I cannot stand to convert your scales into Centigrades and meters.

On 7/7/2020 at 4:48 AM, rm2551 said:

So if I go into a pub in  the U.K. and ask for "a pint of the black stuff" (Guinness) they won't think me a silly American?  😁

Here in in the U.S. most of what I see with products labeled in metric is just a ploy to confuse the consumers and make them think the higher number means MORE product than what they used get for the same price when it was listed as ounces, pints, quarts, or gallons.  For example: a half gallon of orange juice (64 oz) was always a standard package and 64 oz  is what you got. Then orange juice producers started reducing the size of the container from 64oz down to 59oz and then finally down to 52 oz.  Total rip off.  And dumb American consumers accept it because the orange juice companies will say, "we figure people would rather have a little less than have us raise our prices."   WELL.... If I am paying more per ounce for less---- then by my old fashioned math.... and call me crazy.... YOU DID raise the price!!!!

So now I see the stuff that used to be 64 oz (half gallon) which is now 52 oz labeled as 1.54 liters  and dumb American consumers are now I assume believing that it is somehow more than what used to be 64 oz or  1.89 liters.

So I guess you are right. Americans need to learn metric not to use it, but to understand how companies are  using it to fool them with packaging and volume/weight reductions.

Meanwhile I know what a pint of beer is supposed to be, and I know how much wine 750ml is so I'm good to go.  😋

34 minutes ago, Freeyyaa said:

Metric system is for developed countries like Russia, as it much more progressive. 193 cm. sounds much more better. As for me I cannot stand to convert your scales into Centigrades and meters.

This made me laugh....

RUSSIA (everyone used the same glass over and over again)

59fb01ce15e9f90b7850cb51.jpg

USA (go ahead, take the whole bottle with you)

s_xCPi1Alem9Gvc9Gz9CWkKFcumcBKP9QO0R6qLy

10 hours ago, kipper said:

So if I go into a pub in  the U.K. and ask for "a pint of the black stuff" (Guinness) they won't think me a silly American?  😁

Here in in the U.S. most of what I see with products labeled in metric is just a ploy to confuse the consumers and make them think the higher number means MORE product than what they used get for the same price when it was listed as ounces, pints, quarts, or gallons. 

So I guess you are right. Americans need to learn metric not to use it, but to understand how companies are  using it to fool them with packaging and volume/weight reductions.

Meanwhile I know what a pint of beer is supposed to be, and I know how much wine 750ml is so I'm good to go.  😋

Another problem that's easy to solve, but you don't as companies can continue to deceive. Here we label products to a baseline unit measure. it's legislated. So you can directly compare products that have differing volumes and still easily see which one is better value.

I swear, you guys have a unique way of making everything that can be easy complicated and open to manipulate/exploit/corrupt. Everything.

Funnily enough, we can't seem to agree on beer here! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Aust_Beer_Glass 

Each state is different in what it offers and look at you funny if you ask for the wrong glass. :wall: