Led Zeppelin - Rock And Roll (4K AI Upscaled) - May 25, 1975

Pure Frosting

I think it took about 6 hours just for the AI part. That's why I used a short clip.

1. Conversion to constant framerate using Handbrake (otherwise the audio doesn't sync. Pretty much all the bootleg releases has dropped frames.

2. Deinterlacing with QTGMC using Staxrip. Proper deinterlacing is the most important part of the process. 

3. Then it's time to use the VEAI

4. Minor tweaks to audio using Reaper

5. Combining Audio & Video using Hitfilm Pro. Then adding some film grain back to make it look more natural, and also made the video little more brighter. Original was very dark.

I'd do more, but I'm not really a Zeppelin collector. I have no idea what sources are the best of the best. Also I'm hoping to get new PC gear by end on January.

Not the cheapest hobby, but 🤷‍♂️

I may be the critic here... while it is impressive work through AI technology, I don't see the appeal in this. You're not gaining much detail by artificially upscaling footage that wasn't shot in HD, and as a result you have a lot of smoothened, sharpened, and blurry lines that give the illusion of 4K quality.

Edited by ledzepfilm

Yep, I was a non-believer at first. Then I downloaded their software. Sometimes I just try random stuff and get stunned by the results. With Gigapixel AI (for photos) and with Video Enhance AI. It's all about finding the right upscaling model. 

Sure, you can over do these and it's about finding the balance. Is it just sharper or is it really better. Same goes with remastering audio. Question I ask often to myself, is it better or is it just louder?

"It's just clever denoising, and sharpening". Sure...I still prefer the enhanced version that gives just an "illusion".

saydeea.jpg

Edited by Pure Frosting
more text

20 hours ago, tglynn said:

Wow this looks amazing! Would be interesting to see what this could do with the Seattle 1977 footage

I did one track. It's on my youtube channel, but the problem is that I used the Supersonic Seattle, and I need to find the Year of the Dragon version, which is a better starting point. It's not on dimeadozen on tradersden. Any ideas?

22 hours ago, Pure Frosting said:

I did one track. It's on my youtube channel, but the problem is that I used the Supersonic Seattle, and I need to find the Year of the Dragon version, which is a better starting point. It's not on dimeadozen on tradersden. Any ideas?

I have that. I'll provide a link for you.

*Edit - I can't see where I can PM you. I can provide that version. Ping me if you need it.

Edited by rm2551

• 2 weeks later...

I think topaz is a great piece of software that is available. I have used it to upscale some things here and there but it definitely takes some tinkering to do to get the final result just right. Though the software isn't perfect its an amazing step forward towards AI upscaling that can be used to bring things that would be impossible to see in better quality to look amazing! I think Nvidia using their DLSS upscaling for games is best view for the future of what AI upscaling can do. Its insane to the point where the AI upscale looks better than the native 4k version. Absolutely insane possibilities for the next few years. Though I always will prefer having a natively scanned picture, sometimes that's just not possible without the actual native source of film. So I think this is one of the best examples I have seen of this. Really dude, that footage looks breath taking upscaled but it also helps that the original source wasn't a blurry mess from a VHS tape. Cool to see Zeppelin stuff at such high quality. I really hope sometime soon they start rereleasing their films in 4k just like every other band does now these days. I know the Apollo documentary is shooting at 4k so I'm certain they will be scanning some rare footage and it will look absolutely stunning. Exciting stuff to see, thanks for making this!