Wanton Song

ncdoc

New registered member, I have lurked here for a long time. I want to thank the regular members for the hours of enjoyment they have given me over the years. You guys are incredible. I apologize if this is a wasted post.

I was out tonight watering my plants. I'm in US, NC, and it has been blistering hot. I had my pods in and was listening to a Zep compilation I had put together. I will say that I have had a few (hmm, maybe I am underestimating) beers. Newcastle BTW, though it has been ruined since they got bought out here, just cant find a lot better. I included the Wanton Song on my compilation list. I have always loved that song. I guess, if pressed, I would say Physical Graffiti is my favorite record. I think it is the best double album ever produced. Anyway, I remembered watching some You Tube videos in the past talking about how some of the magic of Zeppelin was how Bonham followed Page rather than setting the rhythm with Jones. I must have replayed the Wanton Song a dozen times thinking about this!

Is the Wanton Song not one of Bonham's most incredible songs? He mimics Page the entire song outside of the main solo. What a performance. I was blown away listening to it. Maybe the beer? It is incredible to me. I feel like he was at his peak on PG. I had never listened to the song focusing on him, usually it was Page or Plant's lyrics. What an awesome performance. I know greatest is so subjective, and I won't say it is his greatest, but it is so incredible.

Thanks for listening. You guys/gals are awesome keeping all of this alive. Am I off base, or is this not amazing?!?!?!

ncdoc

Hello and welcome. You're not off-base. It is an awesome song and performance by Bonham. Led Zeppelin's secret weapon was always its sense of dynamics, light-and-shade, and their use of space. "The Wanton Song" is a perfect example of these attributes. The way Bonham follows Page and the way Page doesn't clutter every bar with notes and allows Bonham's beats to exist on their own for a few seconds. Easily one of my favourite tracks off of "Physical Graffiti" and it should have been in the setlist for EVERY goddamn show from 1975 to 1980! "Black Dog" should have been given the boot.

Edited by Strider

I agree with you on physical graffiti, possibly that is my favorite Bonham track ever. Robert’s voice is just so gritty, amazing on that album. All of the songs that were recorded for that album in that style from him. Jimmy was inspired beyond belief, Jonesy was the consummate professional, and in my humble opinion I can’t think of anyone in his league. 

it’s impossible for me to have a favorite album, or song with Zeppelin, but I do find myself listening to that album more than any other. Finally this group of people on this forum are incredibly knowledgeable, interesting, funny and I too have enjoyed many years of reading their thoughts and opinions and have learned so much about this band and other topics. Fun place to “ lurk” for sure. 

I’ve been thinking about how amazing Robert is a lot lately. All of his different approaches, learning to use his voice in different ways. This to me this was his dirtiest, sexiest, voice on any album. It’s incredible to think about all his different incarnations, all the shows he sung, doing two and sometimes even three shows in the same day in their early years,  all the tours, the incredible two and half/ 3 hour shows night after night. For him to have a voice, let alone that voice after all of that is beyond amazing.

Thanks for the topic and post. 

Welcome ncdoc!  Not off base at all.  I've been posting here for awhile, but consider myself a “newbie” compared to the members here with uber knowledge of all things Zeppelin.

The Wanton Song is also one of my Zep favorites because it is so different than many of the band's other compositions.  Lots to listen for in the WS. I became fascinated with the piece after listening to the “practice” recordings or sound checks; using that song to warm up with.  There is a lot of passages to listen to in the WS and a lesson on how good those four musicians' time and rhythm were perfected.  All four members' parts fit together like a fine woven tapestry.

ADK-Zeppy

Edited by ADK-Zeppy

The mix is terrific. Bonham snare sound is what every rock drummer tries to emulate. He’s clear in the mix. There are some snare ghost notes he throws in which mimics the guitar and bass hence the tightness and compactness of the song. A 1 second riff turns into a wonderful workout for the band. 

Wanton Song is another one of Bonhams "galloping" deliveries.  Yes, his drums do seem more in the forefront on that one.  I enjoy the song most because of his dominance in the song.  Dominance, by the way, which Jimmy had to have accepted as he made the final decision behind the production knobs.

Bonham has always provided a heaviness to Zeppelin sound that in particular adds depth to Pages riffs.  I might even argue that he and Page often infuse their sounds together as one so as a listener, especially if one is new to their sound; you cannot distinguish as clearly one from the other.

It's why for me anyways, there isn't any comparison on the drums in rock history.  Bonham isn't just a magnificant drummer, it's how vital he was to the overall sound of LZ that people don't apply to the equation when comparing his lesser contemporaries.  Forget technical or even "feel", how about vision?  He seemed to envision what the end product would sound like, Jimmys wizardly in the studio ensured it always reached fruition.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:43 PM, Blaize86 said:

The mix is terrific. Bonham snare sound is what every rock drummer tries to emulate. He’s clear in the mix. There are some snare ghost notes he throws in which mimics the guitar and bass hence the tightness and compactness of the song. A 1 second riff turns into a wonderful workout for the band. 

Chad Smith often referred to Bonzo as having " the style and sound that was so clearly identifiable to one person" ....Dave Grohl and other drummers have made similar statements regarding the singularity of his sound and to me, first and foremost, it is his snare sound. I am not a drummer but there is something about his snare that screams Bonham. I know when the "'Bonham sound" is discussed in general you hear about his drums being tuned high and other things including the miking techniques that we all have read about a thousand times but to me the first snare hit is it.....

Another great thing about this track is the tone on the guitar solo.  It sounds a bit like a keyboard, and nothing like what would be "expected" for a song this heavy.  The solo itself, its construction and phrasing, is also very unexpected for a heavy riff track like this.  Just a few more things that make Zeppelin Zeppelin.

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

The guitar solo sounds like a keyboard solo. Hands down. If you were to do it on the keys, it would not need to change. Could, but that's solid keys.

It is played with a Leslie speaker which spins while making sound, normally used with organs.  

8 hours ago, mrlowry said:

It is played with a Leslie speaker which spins while making sound, normally used with organs.  

For years I believed it was a keyboard solo. I looked a bit nuffy playing air-keys when listening along. I wonder how much JPJ appreciates how awesome that guitar sound is that Jimmy was able to create.

10 hours ago, mrlowry said:

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

For years I believed it was a keyboard solo. I looked a bit nuffy playing air-keys when listening along. I wonder how much JPJ appreciates how awesome that guitar sound is that Jimmy was able to create.

The Leslie is the same device he used to create the watery guitar sound on "Down by the Seaside". 

14 hours ago, Strider said:

The Leslie is the same device he used to create the watery guitar sound on "Down by the Seaside". 

I believe John Paul Jones ran his Bass through a Leslie cabinet on Heartbreaker.. Different effect.. Huge sound. 

Another great thing about this track.  Sure it has that classic stuttering,staccato riff played in unison by guitar and bass.  Lots of bands have tried over the years to play things like that.  But what is even better are all the other guitar parts around that riff (not including the solo discussed above), which are very unusual for "hard rock", and the way the bass breaks free from the guitar on those parts.  So cool and so unique.  The bass lines are something else.

The recorded version of TWS must have had some clever manipulation going on.  I hear that Zeppelin “echo” in Clutch in their video of “50,000 Unstoppable Watts” between the bass and guitar.  In this example, it was the bass player that came up with the unison harmony lick that links two parts together. I haven't found many other examples out there, but certainly, Zeppelin's influence can still be felt these days.

ADK-Zeppy

On 8/22/2021 at 12:07 PM, LedZep123 said:

Not sure about this, but I think I saw that Jimmy Page used a backwards echo on the track

It is probably used on the volume swell that ends the two bridge sections between the verses.