Which 3 Shows Do You Listen To the Most?

1975NQ

A lot of us take breaks from LZ, come back to it, discover new shows, etc. This past 2 years we've been introduced to some great new stuff. I thought an interesting question to ask would be which 3 shows have you listened to the most over the past 12 months? My own answer surprised me, considering how much attention I've given 75 this year:

Copenhagen 71

Leicester 71

Manchester 72

For just the last 12 months? Well, I have been on a 1971 kick, so...

May 3, 1971 Copenhagen

September 13, 1971 Berkeley

September 28, 1971 Osaka

Honourable mention: January 18, 1975 Bloomington, Minnesota soundboard 

Edited by Strider

2 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Copenhagen 1971

Vienna 1973

Cleveland 4-28-77

Bonus Show: Copenhagen 7-24-79

Lotta great shows on everyone's list. I'm listening to OTH from Vienna right now as I work  ... it's just mind-blowing how good Bonham and Page are here. One of my fav OTH solos. I've been listening to so many poor-sounding boots lately, it's nice to hear a top tier show so clean over headphones. I think I'm just gonna let this one keep playing and listen to the whole damn show ...

Recently its been these three.  

Vienna '73 (Night Owl matrix)

Osaka 9/29/71 (Winston's 3 Source + Steve's Stereo Project of the SBD)

Blueberry Hill (Night Owl matrix)

Many different shows are always on rotation, but these have gotten the most focus as far as listening from begging to end goes. Been studying the changes over their predecessors, which are long-time classics, and the gains made with new programs and new sources that are now available.  

22 minutes ago, Thalassophile said:

Recently its been these three.  

Vienna '73 (Night Owl matrix)

Osaka 9/29/71 (Winston's 3 Source + Steve's Stereo Project of the SBD)

Blueberry Hill (Night Owl matrix)

Many different shows are always on rotation, but these have gotten the most focus as far as listening from begging to end goes. Been studying the changes over their predecessors, which are long-time classics, and the gains made with new programs and new sources that are now available.  

That kind of stuff is interesting to me. Makes me wonder how good shows will sound (even crappy recordings) 20 years from now. Do you know if anyone put the Nite Owl matrix of Vienna up on YT? I've been listening to the Winston remaster today (good ol LZBoots) but did spot a couple other links on there that were 4 source matrix shows.They weren't advertised as Nite Owl tho

11 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

That kind of stuff is interesting to me. Makes me wonder how good shows will sound (even crappy recordings) 20 years from now. Do you know if anyone put the Nite Owl matrix of Vienna up on YT? I've been listening to the Winston remaster today (good ol LZBoots) but did spot a couple other links on there that were 4 source matrix shows.They weren't advertised as Nite Owl tho

Hi 1975NQ.  I know it was upped on Dime.  I think the 4 source matrix you found is it.  If memory serves, Nite Owl is only mentioned in the word doc within the file that lists the sources and titles, not in the torrent name.  If you download that first, you should be able to confirm.

What he/she/they? did is astonishing.  Once you have it, compare SIBLY from the Winston remaster.  The second source (which was taped from a very complimentary section of stadium to the classic boot) is added to give a better stereo image.  The bloated bass frequencies from Source 1 have been removed as well.  It's just stunning.

2 hours ago, Thalassophile said:

Hi 1975NQ.  I know it was upped on Dime.  I think the 4 source matrix you found is it.  If memory serves, Nite Owl is only mentioned in the word doc within the file that lists the sources and titles, not in the torrent name.  If you download that first, you should be able to confirm.

What he/she/they? did is astonishing.  Once you have it, compare SIBLY from the Winston remaster.  The second source (which was taped from a very complimentary section of stadium to the classic boot) is added to give a better stereo image.  The bloated bass frequencies from Source 1 have been removed as well.  It's just stunning.

Very cool, thanks Thalassophile. I'll be sure to compare and looking forward to hearing it.

For the last 12 months:

The Winterland concerts, 6. & 7. November 1969  San Francisco

21. July 1973 Providence - a great show with fantastic versions of NQ and D&C, on par with the Seattle show on 17. July 1973.

28. September 1971 Osaka

For the last 30 years (I turned 50 on 7. November):

29. September 1971 Osaka, 23. September 1971 Tokyo & 7. March 1970 Montreux

1 hour ago, Autumn Moon said:

For the last 12 months:

The Winterland concerts, 6. & 7. November 1969  San Francisco

21. July 1973 Providence - a great show with fantastic versions of NQ and D&C, on par with the Seattle show on 17. July 1973.

28. September 1971 Osaka

For the last 30 years (I turned 50 on 7. November):

29. September 1971 Osaka, 23. September 1971 Tokyo & 7. March 1970 Montreux

Happy (belated) birthday! Looks like the most popular show for past 12 months, and I suspect in general, are the 71 Japan shows.

Totally agree on Providence and Seattle 73 shows. Those are 2 my fav shows for the 73 US tour behind the LA 6/3 show. LZBoots made a great comp on YT for the 73 US tour using mainly those 3 shows (plus a few from the Detroit shows) about a year ago.    

15 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Happy (belated) birthday! Looks like the most popular show for past 12 months, and I suspect in general, are the 71 Japan shows.

Totally agree on Providence and Seattle 73 shows. Those are 2 my fav shows for the 73 US tour behind the LA 6/3 show. LZBoots made a great comp on YT for the 73 US tour using mainly those 3 shows (plus a few from the Detroit shows) about a year ago.    

Thank you, 1975NQ. Yes, you can´t go wrong with the 71 Japan shows- guess I am kind of obsessed with these shows. Generally, I love their live performances 69-73, albeit 70-71 is my favourite period.

3 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Thank you, 1975NQ. Yes, you can´t go wrong with the 71 Japan shows- guess I am kind of obsessed with these shows. Generally, I love their live performances 69-73, albeit 70-71 is my favourite period.

Yep, same here and sometimes 75. 

Edited by 1975NQ

It really is hard, for me at least, to pin down just three shows. Of course they were hot as F from 69-72' with every member bringing their A-game pretty much nightly, but the other years are just as good but on an inconsistent basis, or, Robert's voice issues 73-75'. In 73' you have the absolute consistent peak of instrumental tightness during the European tour and pretty damn good during the NA shows, only problem is Robert's voice on a few shows. In 75' it's just all over the place, great shows instrumentally but with really bad vocal problems from Robert in most cases. D&C & MD were just bloated by this point but when they hit it they REALLY hit it well in 75', just hard to find a show with all the element present. 77' has Robert almost back to 72' form and actually meeting it in several shows plus the instrumental machine of Jones & Bonham it possibly at their best ever. In 77' Jimmy was the "unknown factor" which would either tank the show or bring it to a new level. Sure there is Tempe and other sub-par shows but then you have Cleveland 4-28, Pontiac 4-30, Landover 5-30, The whole NY & LA runs for the most part. For 79' you have four shows, two of which were excellent with 7-24 in their top 10 shows of all time IMO, one mediocre (8-4) and one which goes from brilliance (communication breakdown) to disaster (STH) and back again (8-11). Europe 80' is another mixed bag but only three or four shows consistently good from start to finish.

I think a better approach which was mentioned earlier would be best shows ranked either by tour or by year due to the different approaches used for each tour. Can anyone really compare 9-19-70 to a 75' or 77' show with all the stage production of those later tours? It really is apples to oranges as the overall approach was completely different.

21 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

It really is hard, for me at least, to pin down just three shows. Of course they were hot as F from 69-72' with every member bringing their A-game pretty much nightly, but the other years are just as good but on an inconsistent basis, or, Robert's voice issues 73-75'. In 73' you have the absolute consistent peak of instrumental tightness during the European tour and pretty damn good during the NA shows, only problem is Robert's voice on a few shows. In 75' it's just all over the place, great shows instrumentally but with really bad vocal problems from Robert in most cases. D&C & MD were just bloated by this point but when they hit it they REALLY hit it well in 75', just hard to find a show with all the element present. 77' has Robert almost back to 72' form and actually meeting it in several shows plus the instrumental machine of Jones & Bonham it possibly at their best ever. In 77' Jimmy was the "unknown factor" which would either tank the show or bring it to a new level. Sure there is Tempe and other sub-par shows but then you have Cleveland 4-28, Pontiac 4-30, Landover 5-30, The whole NY & LA runs for the most part. For 79' you have four shows, two of which were excellent with 7-24 in their top 10 shows of all time IMO, one mediocre (8-4) and one which goes from brilliance (communication breakdown) to disaster (STH) and back again (8-11). Europe 80' is another mixed bag but only three or four shows consistently good from start to finish.

I think a better approach which was mentioned earlier would be best shows ranked either by tour or by year due to the different approaches used for each tour. Can anyone really compare 9-19-70 to a 75' or 77' show with all the stage production of those later tours? It really is apples to oranges as the overall approach was completely different.

Great points, and I agree with all of that. My question was actually which 3 shows have you *listened* to the most over the past 12 months because I think it's telling and also an interesting question. I didn't really see it as a ranking question. For instance, the 3 shows I listened to the most in 1988 are very different from the ones in 2021.

I always trust my ears, personally, When I think to myself "what are my fav movies, albums, led zep shows, etc" it's always easy to answer - whichever ones I listen or view the most are my favorites.

But I wanted to contextualize it over a 12 month period just to see what people gravitated toward during this unusual time we're in (a lot of us have been home more than the norm since the pandemic hit) and also to see if there were any patterns to be found generally, as far as listening preferences.

Edited by 1975NQ

45 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

Great points, and I agree with all of that. My question was actually which 3 shows have you *listened* to the most over the past 12 months because I think it's telling and also an interesting question. I didn't really see it as a ranking question. For instance, the 3 shows I listened to the most in 1988 are very different from the ones in 2021.

I always trust my ears, personally, When I think to myself "what are my fav movies, albums, led zep shows, etc" it's always easy to answer - whichever ones I listen or view the most are my favorites.

But I wanted to contextualize it over a 12 month period just to see what people gravitated toward during this unusual time we're in (a lot of us have been home more than the norm since the pandemic hit) and also to see if there were any patterns to be found generally, as far as listening preferences.

Ah yes, good point. They do tend to change from year to year. I was in a Euro 80' kick a few years back but that burned out fast. Right now I am enjoying some of the really strong 75' & 77' shows with some 71' tossed in. Funny I typically don't listen to many shows from 69' as the set is just too much blues, not a whole lot of variety even though the band is just amazing.

6 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Ah yes, good point. They do tend to change from year to year. I was in a Euro 80' kick a few years back but that burned out fast. Right now I am enjoying some of the really strong 75' & 77' shows with some 71' tossed in. Funny I typically don't listen to many shows from 69' as the set is just too much blues, not a whole lot of variety even though the band is just amazing.

Yeah, I'm the same way with 69, rarely listen to it - but then sometimes it's all I wanna hear because it's just so damn primal. Jimmy just sounds unstoppable. The whole band does. I've been listening to 4-25-69 (what we have of it) and 4-26-69 lately, and it's just phenomenal.