2022 MLB Thread

Walter

On 1/31/2022 at 6:01 PM, Plant77 said:

So I can argue that Babe, Joe D, and Stan Musial we’re not facing the best talent available so their stats are in need of an asterisk. As a matter of fact, when those players would barn storm against players of color, they got their asses handed to to them. Routinely. 

Competing Major League teams rarely had all their players from big league clubs—many of the players that played in these exhibitions were minor league players. At least one study has shown that whenever an MLB barn storming team had at least 7 MLB players in the lineup the Negro League teams have a below .500 winning percentage. I would argue that most of the Negro League stars would have been MLB stars but for anyone to infer the quality of players at the MLB level was inferior to that of the Negro Leagues is simply absurd.

20 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Buck has always been a great manager. He always gets a lot out of the talent on his teams. This team he is managing my honestly be his best group top to bottom. With the Yankees, he was their manager right before Torre won the 96 series and they went on that dominating run. He was also with Arizona before they won their series. And that Baltimore team was young and he certainly got the best out of them. Speaking of which, being an A’s fan I was lucky enough to get to go to that amazing stadium and watch my A’s play the Orioles in 2003. That place is stunning. My favorite park I’ve ever been to. You are literally on top of the action at Camden. Not a bad seat in the house. 

I hope that the two sides can come to an agreement soon, I was hoping to get to visit that park again this year in June. 

Have a great weekend Sir. If they do get to play the season in some fashion, good luck to your Orioles. Since I was a kid I always dug their Uniforms. Not to mention the great players that they have over the years. 

Thanks but I may never live to see them win again I fear as they can’t keep up financially.  Yes I have been to Camden and that other park I like in SF.  I traveled there to see the Orioles and Buck was still there.  I remember the 1970 team well.  Great days.  Brooks Robinson.  Then Ripken.  Grich I loved too.  I hope every spring, but I know we are likely screwed again

On 2/24/2022 at 3:33 PM, paul carruthers said:

Millionaires fighting with billionaires & in the end, it's the fans who will probably lose the most...  :thumbdown:

That's what happened the last time there was a strike/lockout. It took steroids to get people interested in the game again. I shudder to think what it'll take to get people back after this.

On 2/26/2022 at 12:12 AM, SteveAJones said:

Competing Major League teams rarely had all their players from big league clubs—many of the players that played in these exhibitions were minor league players. At least one study has shown that whenever an MLB barn storming team had at least 7 MLB players in the lineup the Negro League teams have a below .500 winning percentage. I would argue that most of the Negro League stars would have been MLB stars but for anyone to infer the quality of players at the MLB level was inferior to that of the Negro Leagues is simply absurd.

That is not accurate Steve. I’m sure you read the Bleacher Report article. When the Major league had 5-7 of their players playing against the Negor Leagues they lost over 60% of the time. When they filled their full roster out they Negro leagues won 46% of the time. When it was 4-6 major leaguers on the team they Negro leagues won over 70%. Which it wasn’t as if they put a guy who normally just pumped gas on the rosters when it was 5-6 or 4-6. The team still had minor league players on the field. Which is still professional baseball. The point is they when they entered the Majors they dominated. We can list all of the dominant players starting with Jackie if you would like. The entire argument is that the Major Leagues wasn’t playing against the best available before integration of Black, and Latin players. I don’t know a single person that would argue with that. Below is the very statistics we were talking about from Baseball Fever. That and Baseball Reference are as good as it gets with record keeping. 

were very strong in comparison to Major Leaguers teams. Negro League teams overmatched teams of a few major leaguers playing with minor leaguers winning 75% of the games. Playing against teams with 5-7 major leaguers, the Negro league teams still won over 60% of the games. Against nearly full to full major league teams, the Negro League teams won 45% of the games. I think this shows the strength of the Negro League teams. They were extremely competitive in games against Major Leaguers. At the same time, it also shows the strength of the Major League teams. When complete or nearly complete ML teams played against Negro League teams they were the stronger league by this measure. 

Negro League Teams vs. Major League “All Stars” (0-3)
36 - 12 (.750)

Negro League Teams vs. Major League “All Stars” (4-6)
23 - 15 (.605)

Negro League Teams vs. Major League “All Stars” (7+)
41 – 49 (.456)

Negro League Teams vs. Major League Team (4-6)
9 - 5 (.643)

Negro League Teams vs. Major League Team (7+)
23 - 29 (.442)

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

"Whenever an MLB barn storming team had at least 7 MLB players in the lineup the Negro League teams have a below .500 winning percentage" is accurate.

And whenever black, and Latin, and Asian players came to league it truly made it a league that was playing against the best talent available. I’ll be glad to have a baseball discussion on stats, and eras at anytime. 

And just so we are clear, it wasn’t as if the other portion of the team was full of farmers and shoe salesman. They were comprised of 7 Allstars and the remainder of the team was rounded out with Minor league players. And they were playing a negro league team. It wasn’t Negro league all stars. I will say that often the negro league teams were stacked with very good players as there were fewer negro league teams. 

On 3/1/2022 at 2:08 PM, paul carruthers said:

Here's where I give my middle finger to MLB as a whole and refuse to watch any sort of truncated season they try to piece together--if the lunkheads even do that...

🖕🤬

I am with you on that Paul. I’m so disgusted and disappointed in this sport. Which in case they haven’t noticed is loosing viewership yearly. As a life long A’s fan I’ve already had enough of their shit. Not throw this turd burger on top of it. Damn! I’ve lost my love of Football because of the constant celebrations! Make a routine tackle and I have to watch a guy do a goddamn routine on the field. Make a 4 yard run up the hole, and the running back busts every Icky Woods dance that was known to man. I will however watch Basketball with interest as usual for me. But yes I say put up two middle fingers 🖕 🖕to Manfred and this group of idiots. And to Tony Clark and the players union as well🖕🖕

so  we have a war going on, bombs dropping , lives taken and these spoiled brats are arguing on  how many millions of dollars to play a childs game? I'm at the point that i'm getting so disgusted with  major sports, owners and players alike that  its irrelevant to me, let them go get a real job, enough! i'll watch  you tube videos of miracle mets

On 3/3/2022 at 8:09 AM, custard pie man said:

so  we have a war going on, bombs dropping , lives taken and these spoiled brats are arguing on  how many millions of dollars to play a childs game? I'm at the point that i'm getting so disgusted with  major sports, owners and players alike that  its irrelevant to me, let them go get a real job, enough! i'll watch  you tube videos of miracle mets

No thanks.  That was my Orioles on the losing end of that shit. So how bad is this thing? I am not up to speed on it and all I see is the word canceled next to all the spring trainging games.  If they could fix things by the first week of April, no harm done really. Just lose the spring training games and Walter has to take his tickets back. LOL.  I hope they fix it somehow. And its not the only "childs game" as you put it that money is being fought over.  Dont forget the other big 3 here. 

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

No thanks.  That was my Orioles on the losing end of that shit. So how bad is this thing? I am not up to speed on it and all I see is the word canceled next to all the spring trainging games.  If they could fix things by the first week of April, no harm done really. Just lose the spring training games and Walter has to take his tickets back. LOL.  I hope they fix it somehow. And its not the only "childs game" as you put it that money is being fought over.  Dont forget the other big 3 here. 

Already cancelled. Waiting for my refund. :thumbdown:

To quote Elvis Costello...I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused.

Baseball will always shoot itself in the foot. Time and time again. I have long since stopped caring. I won't miss it.

Edited by Strider

On 3/10/2022 at 4:25 PM, paul carruthers said:

I really don't care anymore, especially with this shit about a Universal DH, but maybe other fans here will rejoice over this:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33399466/mlb-mlbpa-reach-labor-agreement-everything-need-know-lockout-ends

Well yes Paul.  Rejoicing might be too strong but as an Orioles fan, an extra position available to get in is fine with me.  Yet if they let all of the teams in the playoffs we would find a way to blow it.  I wish Showalter luck.  I like Buck alot. I mean, he was a great manager here.  And he built the Yankees and Torre got the credit. Your Mets have a real shot with him.  You have a great leader.  As for Hyde?  The jury is still out. But I am not going to fault him one bit on his job last year.  This kid Rushelmann, or however you spell it, is invited to Orioles camp to try for the starting job.  I would think its a no brainer to give him the job.  But its more about financial maneuvering as usual.  I am hoping we are better.  Far better. But I really do not know.  My 2nd fav team will be right there.  the Dodgers.  Yes. My 2nd favorite teams are all pretty damn good.  Rams, Blues and Dodgers.  NBA?  Well I guess Golden State and the 76ers .  Lets hope the baseball season goes off with no problems.  So the Mets are favored based on their starting rotation.  Do they have the hitting though?

On 3/19/2022 at 9:35 PM, Walter said:

Agreed. What were the owners against? Stupid, ridiculous contracts? They do it to themselves 

I mean, the Dodgers re-sign washed-up Kershaw but let their closer Kanley Jansen go to the Braves, who beat the Dodgers last year precisely because they had better pitching? 

10 hours ago, Strider said:

I mean, the Dodgers re-sign washed-up Kershaw but let their closer Kanley Jansen go to the Braves, who beat the Dodgers last year precisely because they had better pitching? 

Wow I did not know that.  But the Dodgers have someone, believe me.  They are loaded Sean.  Accept it.  Your Angels are the best chance in the West to knock off Houston.  I give them a chance.  Not a big one but a chance.  Better than my  has been crew.

I'm liking the Tigers' chances for a bit of a surprise season.  We've got some good starting pitching, and it's quite possible two highly rated rookies, (Spencer Torkelson & Riley Greene) both #1 picks, are going to make the club.  Surely the White Sox are the favorites, but it usually doesn't take much to compete in the AL Central.  Play meaningful ball until September and I'll be pleased.