Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

What details and info do we know for sure about the "mystery surgery" Plant had on his vocal chords after the 73 Tour? I've only read one interview with Plant where he touches on it briefly. Do we know what was actually done?

He never gets asked about this in interviews, but I would think losing his voice at such a young age must've been very disheartening to him.

What details and info do we know for sure about the "mystery surgery" Plant had on his vocal chords after the 73 Tour? I've only read one interview with Plant where he touches on it briefly. Do we know what was actually done?

He never gets asked about this in interviews, but I would think losing his voice at such a young age must've been very disheartening to him.

Robert has confirmed he had nodules removed from his vocal cords circa Autumn '73/Spring '74. It's been covered previously in this thread and in other threads as well. The search function may reveal more specifics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_fold_nodule

Edited by SteveAJones

Steve, While it is well known that JPJ contemplated leaving the band in '73 or so, and Robert is unsure of his musical future by '77, '78, have there ever been to your knowledge credible reports that John Bonham ever hinted or talked about leaving Zeppelin?

Steve, While it is well known that JPJ contemplated leaving the band in '73 or so, and Robert is unsure of his musical future by '77, '78, have there ever been to your knowledge credible reports that John Bonham ever hinted or talked about leaving Zeppelin?

To my knowledge John Bonham never intended to leave Led Zeppelin, making his passing all the more poignant.

Steve,

Here's a mystery for you: is there any evidence that the 1968 Scandinavian tour was actually booked while The Yardbirds were still together? The reason I ask is because I recently came across one of the actual contracts for one of the concerts.....and it has a date of 8/15/68 printed on it.

Of course, it's possible that the tour was booked in June (with the contracts signed in August), but it made me wonder if there was any proof either way. Were any of those concerts advertised prior to August 1968?

Steve,

Here's a mystery for you: is there any evidence that the 1968 Scandinavian tour was actually booked while The Yardbirds were still together? The reason I ask is because I recently came across one of the actual contracts for one of the concerts.....and it has a date of 8/15/68 printed on it.

Of course, it's possible that the tour was booked in June (with the contracts signed in August), but it made me wonder if there was any proof either way. Were any of those concerts advertised prior to August 1968?

What an intriguing question - when exactly was the Sept '68 Scandanavian tour booked? Peter Grant's autobiography may reveal specific details but seems to me they'd known their '68 North American tour was to be their last before they even got on the plane. No point booking a tour in June for a band that was disbanding unless they (Page, Dreja, Grant) were still keeping all options open. Your date of 8/15/68 is literally days after the Page, Jones, Plant, Bonham lineup held their first formal rehearsal. Seems foolish to enter into contractual (and touring) obligations for a new band on such short notice...unless the tour was booked in advance, in which case time was of the essence. So far as I know none of the dates were announced nor publicized prior to August 1968 (and that makes sense given the contract(s) had yet to be signed). It will be interesting to see what if anything is now revealed regarding the booking of this tour.

• Administrators

The person who would likely know is Jerry Ritz, Zep's tour manager for the first tour (and the March '69 Scandinavian tour). I believe he was also involved in booking the shows. Spent some time with him here a few weeks ago. If you need his contact info, forward any questions to me and I'll send to him.

The person who would likely know is Jerry Ritz, Zep's tour manager for the first tour (and the March '69 Scandinavian tour). I believe he was also involved in booking the shows. Spent some time with him here a few weeks ago. If you need his contact info, forward any questions to me and I'll send to him.

Sam, your offer of assistance is greatly appreciated. I shall be forwarding a list of questions soonest.

Sir Edwin Lutyens / Jimmy Page

Trailer for DVD documentary on the life of architect Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens (1869-1944). Full DVD available from http://www.newdaypictures.co.uk . Presented by Colin Amery and featuring interviews with Mary Lutyens, Jane Ridley, Gavin Stamp and Clive Aslet. Lutyens has been referred to as "The Greatest British Architect" and noted works include the Memorial to the Missing of the Somme, Thiepval; The Cenotaph, London; Viceroy's House, Delhi, and Castle Drogo, Devon. Also designed Plumpton Place, which served as Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page's moated country manor home in the 1970s.

DVD Produced by New Day Pictures, released 2010.

Sir Edwin Lutyens / Jimmy Page

Trailer for DVD documentary on the life of architect Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens (1869-1944). Full DVD available from http://www.newdaypictures.co.uk . Presented by Colin Amery and featuring interviews with Mary Lutyens, Jane Ridley, Gavin Stamp and Clive Aslet. Lutyens has been referred to as "The Greatest British Architect" and noted works include the Memorial to the Missing of the Somme, Thiepval; The Cenotaph, London; Viceroy's House, Delhi, and Castle Drogo, Devon. Also designed Plumpton Place, which served as Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page's moated country manor home in the 1970s.

DVD Produced by New Day Pictures, released 2010.

Great stuff SAJ:thanku:

Steve,

Do you have information on the dates that The Firm's self-titled album was recorded at The Sol in 1984?

Circa September 1984 Page and Rodgers rehearsed awhile at Nomis Studio in London. They were booked as The McGregors, and were soon joined by Franklin and then Slade.

Circa Sep/Oct 1984, Page and Rodgers pre-booked all of their studio time (two months) at The Sol, thus self-imposing a working deadline to meet. A photo shoot for promotional shots was also held there.

They started their tour on Nov 29, 1984 at the Gota Lejon in Stockholm, Sweden.

What an intriguing question - when exactly was the Sept '68 Scandanavian tour booked? Peter Grant's autobiography may reveal specific details but seems to me they'd known their '68 North American tour was to be their last before they even got on the plane. No point booking a tour in June for a band that was disbanding unless they (Page, Dreja, Grant) were still keeping all options open. Your date of 8/15/68 is literally days after the Page, Jones, Plant, Bonham lineup held their first formal rehearsal. Seems foolish to enter into contractual (and touring) obligations for a new band on such short notice...unless the tour was booked in advance, in which case time was of the essence. So far as I know none of the dates were announced nor publicized prior to August 1968 (and that makes sense given the contract(s) had yet to be signed). It will be interesting to see what if anything is now revealed regarding the booking of this tour.

I've seen at least two references from the July 1968 timeframe where Jimmy mentions that dates are booked for an October American tour. No mention of Scandinavia though, but then this could be because the news sources were American and there was no interest in what was happening in Europe. This is at the point where Dreja is still in the band...and one article (Deseret News, July 1968) mentions that the band is to be called "The Yardbirds Featuring Jimmy Page"...

Update: There is an article from NME July 13th that mentions a ten-day tour of Scandinavia starting Sept 14th followed by a "lengthy American tour in October".

Edited by thozil

I've seen at least two references from the July 1968 timeframe where Jimmy mentions that dates are booked for an October American tour. No mention of Scandinavia though, but then this could be because the news sources were American and there was no interest in what was happening in Europe. This is at the point where Dreja is still in the band...and one article (Deseret News, July 1968) mentions that the band is to be called "The Yardbirds Featuring Jimmy Page"...

Update: There is an article from NME July 13th that mentions a ten-day tour of Scandinavia starting Sept 14th followed by a "lengthy American tour in October".

Seems to suggest they had not quite called it a day upon return from the USA in June. An October '68 USA tour? That's a plot twist we shall also have to look into a bit further. Nice contribution to the thread.

Seems to suggest they had not quite called it a day upon return from the USA in June. An October '68 USA tour? That's a plot twist we shall also have to look into a bit further. Nice contribution to the thread.

..."Grant first billed the Band as Jimmy Page and the Yardbirds, and took them to Scandinavia for a short tour to play them in. On their return, Grant explains, they "struggled" into a few dates in Britain. It was then he chose to leave for America."

Source Link: Rock on the Road - Strategies of a Supergroup - Led Zeppelin

Page 128 - Additional Details with Atlantic/J. Wexler...

http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35527&start=100

...not edited for typing..

...addendum..

"Cream’s “farewell tour” consisted of 22 shows at 19 venues in the United States between 4 October and 4 November 1968, and two final farewell concerts at the Royal Albert Hall on 26 November 1968."

Source Link:

http://www.last.fm/music/Cream/+wiki

Led Zeppelin Play Denver December 26, 1968......

....It is possible to plan a full Oct.'68 tour by Grant initially, but with Cream in the U.S. for Final dates as above, change of plans...

Edited by PlanetPage

It is possible to plan a full Oct.'68 tour by Grant initially, but with Cream in the U.S. for Final dates as above, change of plans...

Thozil mentioned there are possibly some July '68 references to an Oct '68 Yardbirds USA tour (or perhaps intentions to tour).

Unless this can be confirmed I don't think I should pursue it any further. I simply can't square it with them having disbanded - why book any tour for a group that's broken up? It seems the Sep '68 Scandanavian tour was arranged prior to the break up

and hopefully we'll get some specifics concerning that in due course.

Insofar as an October '68 USA tour for Led Zeppelin, it's pretty clear that was never seriously considered, let alone planned. I say this given Grant's own comments concerning their struggles to tour the UK but also because priority was clearly given to completing that first album so as to secure an advance from Atlantic Records.

Question:

Without going through 182 pages. Does Page still have his collection of Crowley stuff?

As a Thelemite his Crowley collection undoubtedly remains a source of pride and joy - if not fully intact - though he did sell Boleskine House on the shores of Loch Ness circa 1990.

Do you know which tracks Jimmy, JPJ and Bonzo played on Family Dogg's "A way of life". ???

John Paul Jones was the arranger for "You Were On My Mind", "Today I Killed A Man", and "Reflections Of Your Face". I would imagine that he also played bass on them (he is the only person credited with playing bass on the entire album). The latter 2 songs were also recorded by P.J. Proby on his Three Week Hero album, which also features members of Zep. Steve Rowland produced both albums.

As for Jimmy and Bonzo.....there are no guitar or drum parts on the entire album that sound like their playing styles. I guess it's possible that they played on the same 3 songs that Jones arranged, but if they did then it was in a very limited and subdued role.

Is there a "timeline" of events for the tragic days post Bonzo's death? From Sept 25th thru Dec 4th?

September 25, 1980 Robert and Maureen traveled to the Bonham's home, the Old Hyde, and broke the tragic news to Pat while Jason waited in the living room.

September 26, 1980 The London Evening News publishes a feature titled Led Zeppelin's 'Black Magic' Mystery, sparking months of similarly absurd rumors and speculation

September 1980 Birmingham, England radio station BRMB (FM 96.4) air a tribute to John Bonham...Ozzy Osbourne among the many local musicians who express their shock

October 3, 1980 The Detroit News publishes a news item reporting Bonham's death has cancelled the upcoming North American tour

October 7, 1980 Page testifies at a Coroner's Court inquest held concerning death of John Bonham...Coroner Robert Wilson records a verdict of accidental death

October 8, 1980 Coroner's Court report is released

October 10, 1980 Bonham's funeral held at St. Michael's Parish Church in Rushock.

November 7, 1980 Page, Plant, & Jones convene on the island of Jersey to come to terms with the loss

November 1980 Page, Plant, & Jones convene with Peter Grant at the Savoy hotel in London and confirm their decision to disband

December 4, 1980 Swan Song issues a press statement announcing Led Zeppelin have decided they could not continue as they were