Live Albums

Swede

When a live album succeed to catch the essence of a great live band it can be the ultimate record to purchase.

Please recomend your top 5 list of live albums.

Here are my recomendations for you to check out:

Ten Years After - Live At Fillmore East 1970

This one is far better then their 1973 album, Recorded Live, which is a great album too.

Live At Fillmore East 1970 was released 2001 and contains interesting liner notes by drummer Ric Lee.

e947770v7de.jpg

Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour '74

Anyone into blues rock and guitarists like Johnny Winter, SRV and Hendrix, really should check this Irish rocker out. If you haven't heard him before, you'll be stunned by this album. That's a promise.

d63746tyax5.jpg

(Not the original vinyl cover art)

Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More From The Road

These guys could outplay anyone. And I mean ANYONE.

Be sure to get the De Luxe edition.

e937291ap9e.jpg

Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus

This piece is a must have. Lowell George was one of a kind.

c5245552yl0.jpg

The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East

A classic!

d148560n239.jpg

Band Of Gypsies Fillmore East

Allman Brothers Fillmore East

The Who Live At Leeds

A quality recording of Led Zeppelin Japan Tour 71

Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac Live In Boston

Band Of Gypsies Fillmore East

Allman Brothers Fillmore East

The Who Live At Leeds

A quality recording of Led Zeppelin Japan Tour 71

Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac Live In Boston

PS: I've probably forgotten a few.

I need to look into Peter Green and Rory Gallagher, but I don't have the money right now. Oh well. My two favorite official live albums are Free's "Live!" and the Black Keys' "Live In Austin, TX". I think both are phenomenal. Free's live album would definitely be a great way to get into them if you haven't--especially the remastered edition with extra songs 'cause those are killer.

Only official, right? Well, maybe not the greatest, but at least my five favorites.

Jeff Buckley - Mystery White Boy

Neil Young - Live Rust

Nirvana - Unplugged

Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won (hatchet job or not, the performance is ace)

Alice In Chains - Unplugged

BBC sessions- Led zeppelin

How the west was won- Led Zeppelin

BBC sessions- Jimi Hendrix

Isle of white - Jimi hendrix

Filmore east - Jimi Hendrix

Royal Albery hall- Led zeppelin

I kno thats 6. couldntd keep it at 5 lol

Since some of my faves (Feat, Skynyrd, Wilco, etc.) have already been listed so I'll try to stick to ones that haven't been named yet:

B000002VKC.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

All star lineup of Jerry Garcia, Peter Rowan, John Kahn, David Grisman and Vassar Clements take the bluegrass world by storm in one of the most seminal albums ever recorded in the genre. This record alone pretty much paved the way for the "newgrass" movement of the early 70s.

41N7YX5DCBL._AA240_.jpg

A non-stop "energized" performance from beginning to end. The boogie blues of Foghat seldom gets much better, you can just feel the sweat.

41A43BVWYAL._AA240_.jpg

Buffett in the days before the term "Parrothead" was termed and the emphasis was more on the music than putting on a stage spectacle heavily dependent on props. It may be a bit dated in it's storytelling (lots of references to Saturday Night Live and the latest Steve Martin album) but it miracously stands the test of time.

41BERVSNE1L._AA240_.jpg

Rush have released many a live album over the years but this is perhaps their finest hour. Never a dull moment from start to finish.

41MVZS3423L._AA240_.jpg

My first ever Marley purchase, a very concise and tight introduction to reggae's most charismatic performer. Part political rally, part church service, even the most jaded of listeners can't help but be moved by one of Marley's most passionate performances.

Led Zeppelin: How the West Was Won

Stones: Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out

The Who: Live at Leeds

Allman Brothers: Live at Fillmore East

Hendrix: Band of Gypsys

Grateful Dead: Europe '72

Hendrix/Otis Redding: Live at Monterey

Johnny Winter: Live

Jefferson Airplane: Bless its Pointed Little Head

Deep Purple: Made in Japan

If your into a little East Bay groove check out

Tower Of Power: Live And In Living Color.... Sacramento 76 Lenny Picket alone is worth buying this for

Tower Of Power : Soul Vaccination.... Live At The Fillmore West 98

TheFillmoreConcerts.jpg

A lot of shout outs for the ABB At Fillmore East, and I wanted to post a picture of the Fillmore Concerts because I can't recommend it enough.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO PURCHASE THE ALLMAN BROTHERS AT FILLMORE EAST, MAKE IT THIS VERSION, THE ONE WITH THE COLOR COVER.

I've purchased so many versions of Fillmore- the Gold MSFL, the deluxe edition, DTS . . . screw them.

The Fillmore Concerts with the color cover is THE one. Tom Dowd, the original producer, oversaw the remixing process.

Every other version is a refinement of the sound of the original release, which boosted some instruments at the expense of others. Granted, they were the ones you want to hear (Duane's guitar), but listen to the Fillmore Concerts and you will hear the rhythm section properly for the first time. The instruments are evenly balanced, more like the mix of an orchestra in a classical recording. You can hear the blend of the instruments, the sound has greater depth to it. And that is what the band was going for, not featuring Duane or Gregg.

Buy it and then play Liz Reed on your old copy and then on Fillmore Concerts and you will hear the difference!

B)

Just put this same post in the ABB thread, BTW.

What are your thoughts on this one versus If You Want Blood...You've Got It? Then again, I've always been more of a Bon Scott-era fan myself.

I like both, but I like Brian Johnson-era AC/DC a lot, and he still had his voice in '91 when this live album was recorded. And the recording itself, all the songs are so powerful, crisp, and clear...very punchy, just a great sounding record. Plus it's a great overview of their whole career, essentially a greatest hits package.

Others have already pointed out the following albums, all of which are among my favorite live albums....

Genesis - Genesis Live

Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won

Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous

Deep Purple - Made in Japan

The Who - Live at Leeds

The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out

Frank Zappa - You Can't Do This On Stage Anymore, vol. 2

Thought I'd add a few others:

Queen - Live at Wembley.

A great 1986 performance by the band, the original vinyl album was a single record, hence short, but did give a pretty good idea of the show. This is also worth getting on DVD, and there you have the complete performance. They start out playing One Vision and then Tie Your Mother Down, which are great show openers. 'I Want To Break Free' has a distorted, wah-wah-ified version of the original solo, which sounds hilarious.

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Nocturne.

This was recorded at the Royal Albert Hall in 1983, and has Robert Smith (more famous for his work in The Cure) playing guitars. Steady performances, and in some cases they better the studio versions ('Israel' for example).

Genesis - Seconds Out

Recorded in Paris in 1977, and released as a double album in 1978. This has Phil Collins doing the lead vocals, but occasionally getting behind the drumset as well - the main drummers are Chester Thompson and Bill Bruford. The performances are extraordinarily good, it must be said - even if I much prefer the Peter Gabriel line-up.

Aerosmith - Live Bootleg

This was also released in 1978, if I remember correctly, haven't heard it in ages. I've never been a fan of the band, but I miss this one - it's good, solid rock & roll.

Jimi Hendrix - The Jimi Hendrix Concerts

This is a collection from different performances, originally released as a double album in 1986 I think it was. I love the performances chosen here, some of them are among my all-time favorite live performances by any artist, such as e.g. 'Red House' (recorded at New York Pop, Randall's Island, July 17, 1970).

Jimi Hendrix - Live at Winterland

Still haven't found this one on CD - an awesome double album. Has great versions of The Cream's 'Sunshine of Your Love' and of 'Spanish Castle Magic' amongst other gems.

Others have already pointed out the following albums, all of which are among my favorite live albums....

Genesis - Genesis Live

Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won

Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous

Deep Purple - Made in Japan

The Who - Live at Leeds

The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out

Frank Zappa - You Can't Do This On Stage Anymore, vol. 2

Thought I'd add a few others:

Queen - Live at Wembley.

A great 1986 performance by the band, the original vinyl album was a single record, hence short, but did give a pretty good idea of the show. This is also worth getting on DVD, and there you have the complete performance. They start out playing One Vision and then Tie Your Mother Down, which are great show openers. 'I Want To Break Free' has a distorted, wah-wah-ified version of the original solo, which sounds hilarious.

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Nocturne.

This was recorded at the Royal Albert Hall in 1983, and has Robert Smith (more famous for his work in The Cure) playing guitars. Steady performances, and in some cases they better the studio versions ('Israel' for example).

Genesis - Seconds Out

Recorded in Paris in 1977, and released as a double album in 1978. This has Phil Collins doing the lead vocals, but occasionally getting behind the drumset as well - the main drummers are Chester Thompson and Bill Bruford. The performances are extraordinarily good, it must be said - even if I much prefer the Peter Gabriel line-up.

Aerosmith - Live Bootleg

This was also released in 1978, if I remember correctly, haven't heard it in ages. I've never been a fan of the band, but I miss this one - it's good, solid rock & roll.

Jimi Hendrix - The Jimi Hendrix Concerts

This is a collection from different performances, originally released as a double album in 1986 I think it was. I love the performances chosen here, some of them are among my all-time favorite live performances by any artist, such as e.g. 'Red House' (recorded at New York Pop, Randall's Island, July 17, 1970).

Jimi Hendrix - Live at Winterland

Still haven't found this one on CD - an awesome double album. Has great versions of The Cream's 'Sunshine of Your Love' and of 'Spanish Castle Magic' amongst other gems.

I've got it and it's great.

Archived