Stairway to Heaven: Hot Or Not?

Mr. Big

I usually skip Stairway when listening to IV or one of the live albums... :P

it's all that gets played on the radio station that I listen to, that and Black Dog. it never fails, the DJ blithers and blathers about "Led Zep, coming up after the break!" then BAM right into Black Dog we go... cripes, they've got more than just two songs...

I say enough with the Stairway q's....we all to some extent have loving-hate relationship with it.

the bright side of it all is that my mother who dislikes the Zeppelin heard it the other day and asked me:

"what is that song? it's so beautiful!"

she was flabbergast when I informed her it was a Zeppelin song.

Because there are not too many that liike LZ and Rock n Roll that dont like it. I find it fucking mind boggling that you dont like it. Of course I love the Stones like you do and dont love everytinig they did. But Stairway?? Cmon dude! The song is a masterpiece.

Well;I'm one of them.

...in your opinion;and many others,but not mine.

Stairway is one of their best-known songs. It's one of these songs which are visiting cards of the bands - they play it everywhere (radio, tv). It might be a reason that some people are fed up with it, and just don't like it.

For me, it's a great song, but I don't think it's LZ's best. :)

Stairway progresses perfectly and the note selection is perfect. I've never heard a song as well-composed as Stairway made in the last, 300 years? Its like a piece of Beethoven or Mozart.

Hats Off (To Roy Harper) is terrible, I'm not sure whether Jimmy Page was trying to compose a good feel to the song or having a seizure with his slide

• 1 month later...

Stairway To Heaven is a masterpiece. BUT, just like anything else that is to be appreciated-- sometimes you have to walk away for awhile - DON'T LISTEN TO IT - and then come back to it. You'll then see why it is so phenomenal.

If I hear Freebird one more time, I will puck. Stairway is not played hardly at all on the classic rocks stations.

I hate Stairway to Heaven. Reasons why:

It is not Zeppelin's best song

it gets too much radio play

the lyrics are a bunch of drug-induced gibberish

it's repetitive

people think they're Zep fans if they know how it goes

it's a cheesy rock cliche

I feel the same way about Kashmir.

it's repetitive

Jesus, man, why are you even on this board? kashmir is the quintessential zeppelin song, according to robert plant. and stairway, well...is stairway. the lyrics are mesmerizing. the song itself is just beautiful.

?????

to each his own, i guess.

Jesus, man, why are you even on this board? kashmir is the quintessential zeppelin song, according to robert plant. and stairway, well...is stairway. the lyrics are mesmerizing. the song itself is just beautiful.

?????

to each his own, i guess.

1. I am on this board because I love Led Zeppelin. I don't have to love all of their songs. =)

2. Robert Plant can have his own opinion, but it's still his opinion, even if it's his band (well, it's really Jimmy's, but you know what I mean)

3. No kidding, because they are so ambiguous anyone can take any lyric any way they want to.

4. Men with cajones don't use that word except when describing Achilles Last Stand or Angelina Jolie's glutes. B)

well I'm not here to argue so I'll just mosey on out of this thread.

1. I am on this board because I love Led Zeppelin. I don't have to love all of their songs. =)

2. Robert Plant can have his own opinion, but it's still his opinion, even if it's his band (well, it's really Jimmy's, but you know what I mean)

3. No kidding, because they are so ambiguous anyone can take any lyric any way they want to.

4. Men with cajones don't use that word except when describing Achilles Last Stand or Angelina Jolie's glutes. B)

well I'm not here to argue so I'll just mosey on out of this thread.

i'm sorry, i know you would like to take what seems to be a jab at me and leave BUT, please clairfy what you mean in your "men with cajones" gem? are you referring to the word "beautiful"? you are an authority on men with cajones, are you? aren't you still in high school, sport?

and ps, I am no man, my dear.

furthermore, why don't you listen to these songs from the band you claim to love for a few more decades before you discount them so easily.

:huh:

it's repetitive

Well, I can see your point about people thinking they're Zep fans if they know STH, but it's repetitive???? Huh? :huh: And all the other things you said -- couldn't they be said about ANY song that's ever written? And Kashmir is also a cheesy rock cliche that gets too much radio play? Huh? Where do you live?

i'm sorry, i know you would like to take what seems to be a jab at me and leave BUT, please clairfy what you mean in your "men with cajones" gem? are you referring to the word "beautiful"? you are an authority on men with cajones, are you? aren't you still in high school, sport?

and ps, I am no man, my dear.

furthermore, why don't you listen to these songs from the band you claim to love for a few more decades before you discount them so easily.

Apparently you have no sense of humor. I was messing around aka kidding. Jeez.

... I have listened to them. If I didn't I couldn't really criticize the songs, could I?

And Kashmir is also a cheesy rock cliche that gets too much radio play? Huh? Where do you live?

Cleveland. The rock stations play only 3 or 4 Zep songs: Black Dog (which I like), Stairway and Kashmir with the occasional Trampled Underfoot.

Archived