Pet Peeves

Hotplant

It's all more complicated than that. It's not so much greed as it is global strategy. If we used less fuel, the prices would just go up to compensate.

And the prices would go up why?

See, the thing is, the entire system of money is man-made. Inflation, what's worth what, etc is all man-made. None of that is a law of nature, so it can be broken. Perfect example: the $100 bill (USD). (Keep in mind I'm talking theoretically, here... not what's actually happening) Right now we (theoretically) work on a man-made system that says you can only print so many $100 bills so they keep their value. However, since there's no law of nature, and value is based solely and completely upon perception, we could print twice as many $100 bills as $1 bills and it could still be considered, in value, as $100.

How does that relate to the gas companies? Simple. Just because we use less gas doesn't mean the prices have to go up. (being realistic,) They will, but there's no law of nature that tells them to. It's all man-made, even the decision. And in the end, they will go up for the sole purpose of lining the pockets of the executives (because the gas station workers don't make that much to begin with, anyways, and while most likely their wages will go down, that will be due to greed because, theoretically, their wages could stay the same with a drop in gas sales... realistically they could actually be making more now).

Well, yeah, of course it's all man made, but the main reason isn't greed. It's far more complex than that.

I'm not saying the system's based on greed. On the contrary. One reason for its set-up was to curtail (and maybe even fight) greed. I'm talking specifically about gas prices and the oil company executives.

Ok, check this out: I use Mach3 razors for shaving. I am sure you know what they are, they're very popular.

Does it ever seem to you like you get one razor or more in a pack that are duds? Meaning, they just suck, and tear your face up?

These razors are really expensive, and for me they are the best.

Maybe it's my skin sometimes that is dry or irritated or maybe my stubble is just wierd sometimes, I don't know.

Yeah...about that?

I don't have MONEY to go out...not right now. So when my friends want to do something, it costs money--like last night, I went out and spent about $20 on dinner. No biggie, but the KILLER was the $25.00 ticket I got for parking--that's a whole different rant in itself.

But you know, I think that if you live with someone, you should spend some time together doing things that you BOTH like to do. I'm talking at least once a freakin' week.

I'm sorry, I'm just sick and tired of sitting around the house with NOTHING to do while he's out all the fucking time, doing things that cost money.

That's kind of hypocritical of him to go out and spend money when you're stuck not being able to go out because of lack of money.

Is it possible that you're being too conservative about the money issue? Maybe he doesn't see money as a problem and won't conform to your thrifty ways?

Other than that, I'd say he's more interested elsewhere, and that certainly says a lot........

No, the money thing is real.

I'm subbing, which doesn't pay for crap. I made more money when I was in high school, working at Wendy's. My entire paycheck for this month (paid on May 15 for the work I did in April) GROSSED about $825. What was deposited into my checking account after taxes was a mere $670. FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH. That's a little less than a third what I made a month at Albertson's, BEFORE I had a college degree.

So, even though he's paying for a lot of things, my money situation is pathetic. I can't even afford to go out and buy postage stamps for my job applications (which cost about $3 to mail each), or the $3 per file for my "placement files" that are pretty much confidential references that the university sends out for me.

I can't freakin' wait until I get paid in July for summer school. I will be able to afford to pay my bills and get my a/c in my car fixed.

I thought I could take a short trip in August, but since my freakin' jury duty's fucked that up...I don't think it's possible. :(

^screw that. They'd put me on 1/2 rations. I'm a bit chunky right now. <_<

Now you sound like him. <_<

I'm teaching summer school this summer, and I'll make about $8K in 8 weeks, so that's a good deal. However, I haven't made $3K all year so far. (sigh)

I'm still holding out hope that I"ll get a job quickly. I've got about 40 different applications out, but the way it's looking is bleak. The school district I work for right now laid off about 140 people (for next year), but some of the were able to retain jobs. I've applied for EVERY job I'm qualified for, no matter where it is. I figure if I get an offer somewhere I am not too fond of, I'll worry about that when the time comes.

I'm still holding out hope that I"ll get a job quickly. I've got about 40 different applications out, but the way it's looking is bleak. The school district I work for right now laid off about 140 people (for next year), but some of the were able to retain jobs. I've applied for EVERY job I'm qualified for, no matter where it is. I figure if I get an offer somewhere I am not too fond of, I'll worry about that when the time comes.

That's what I did--applied for over 100 jobs, cost a fortune just sending out the applications. Eventually I was offered one that was kinda out in the sticks so not so many people had applied for it--I grabbed it with both hands. Some of the people I knew who were picky about where they applied STILL don't have permanent tenured positions. Moral of the story being, take anything you're offered, and you can always grab something better later if it comes along. (Or not, in my case, because it didn't. But I've still got a job, which is more than a lot of people in my field!)

That's what I did--applied for over 100 jobs, cost a fortune just sending out the applications. Eventually I was offered one that was kinda out in the sticks so not so many people had applied for it--I grabbed it with both hands. Some of the people I knew who were picky about where they applied STILL don't have permanent tenured positions. Moral of the story being, take anything you're offered, and you can always grab something better later if it comes along. (Or not, in my case, because it didn't. But I've still got a job, which is more than a lot of people in my field!)

None of my business to be sure,but your post strikes me. I completely understand if its not cool to respond.I'm curious what you teach and what grade level you teach. How long have you been in the "sticks" and do the rewarding moments help to level the field when things are out of sync.

My sister in law is a teacher and I'm of the opinion,whatever they're paid, is underpay.

Reading your posts for as long as I have, I believe you would have been among my favorite teachers/mentors,if I were a student of yours. I imagine you to have a loyal student base.

Don't be too humble if you reply...

Oh, Ms. Aqua, believe me, I'm applying for EVERYTHING. I've applied to places that are SO rural in Idaho that my friends who know a bit more about the area said I'd be shocked at how "country" everyone is out there. I've never lived anywhere but Boise, and having said that, even though it's only Boise, the rural stuff will take some getting used to. ;)

BTW--Jabe, where I live, it's $31,775 for first-year teachers. After about five years and a master's degree, you can make about $40K. I made about $30K working at a grocery store, before I graduated college, and I was able to afford a very small (but very nice) 1-bedroom apartment on my own, (just to show about how much/little the cost of living is here compared to what you're used to).

Hi Mandy,

It is a very difficult time to be graduating and looking for a job.

I can tell that you went into teaching for the love of it and that you are an excellent teacher.

If there was some way to let the schools know about this, then I am sure that they would hire you.

But with states in a money crunch due to less taxes from less people working and loosing their homes, the first thing that they cut is the schools. How stupid. But they still splurge on hiring and paying administrators, who contribute nothing to the education of kids. A few schools in our area have recently hired principals, superintendants, and other pencil pushers. Their salaries are published in the papers, and they are earning $100,000 to $200,000 per year. Ridiculous.

Good luck with the job hunt, but I don't have any tips to help. Just keep staying positive and don't get discouraged. :)

^that's the exact situation I'm in. The Boise metro area has one of the highest foreclosure rates in the U.S. right now. They aren't hiring many teachers at all.

The worst part is after that $50K I spent on my education, I am only certified to teach in Idaho. Good old NCLB screwed every teach in the U.S. over with that little piece of B.S.

I am keeping my fingers crossed on one job that I don't think I'll get because I'm not totally qualified. I'm almost qualified (I'm 2 credits short of being qualified), and it's a school where I've got a GREAT reputation, but we'll see.

edit:

There is something I want to add about the administrators' salaries thing. If they have the education and experience, they should be paid a LOT more, but $200K is a little much, IMO. I know around here, administrators start around $70K, and that's only about $5K more than the topped-out teacher's salary. To be an administrator, you usually have to have at least 10 years' experience teaching in a classroom, and they usually want more education than a master's degree. You are usually asked to have at least 30+ over a master's, which after 10 years teaching, you will have.

One of the worst things about being in the education field, mainly K-12, is that you have to have so many graduate credits per year or you lose your license. This means there are many, many teachers out there with two or even THREE master's degrees teaching. Many teachers in Idaho have more college credits than lawyers and doctors, and they STILL have to continuously jump through hoop after hoop after hoop to stay employed.

I'm sick and tired of "someone" saying that they've always got plans every weekend.

What is the fucking point of having a boyfriend if they're always fucking busy?

Why are you not included in the plans? If money is the issue, why isn't your boyfriend either treating you or doing something cheaper that you can both enjoy? This is the man you live with you are talking about, isn't it?

None of my business to be sure,but your post strikes me. I completely understand if its not cool to respond.I'm curious what you teach and what grade level you teach. How long have you been in the "sticks" and do the rewarding moments help to level the field when things are out of sync.

My sister in law is a teacher and I'm of the opinion,whatever they're paid, is underpay.

Reading your posts for as long as I have, I believe you would have been among my favorite teachers/mentors,if I were a student of yours. I imagine you to have a loyal student base.

Don't be too humble if you reply...

Hi jabe, and thanks for your kind comments. :)

I teach American/African American and multicultural lit, at the university level. I've done it for nearly 20 years now. :o (And often, beginning college teachers here are paid less than some high school teachers.) Before that, and before going to grad school, I taught high school for six years.

For the most part, I'd say there are many rewarding moments and I used to love my job, both the teaching and the research elements, but just lately, what with education cutbacks because of the economy, things are very frustrating and I'm just hoping this recession ends soon both for students and faculty!!

As for my fan base--I guess some students like me, some don't, but my favorite comment I ever got from a student evaluation is from a young guy who said "Sometimes I didn't want to go to class, but I always went because I knew I would laugh." :D I hope he was laughing for the right reasons!

I'd love an answer to this question as well. I know they have the technology to do it. I mean, look at the Toyota Rav4. It's using a direct injected 6 cylinder engine with 260 horsepower and the thing gets 26 miles to the gallon average. It's not like it's some super tech design either.

I used to love Tacomas, but not anymore. Toyota is selling vehicles based off of their name and reputation, but the quality and design has fallen significantly. It's only a matter of time before they end up like GM.

The car companies could make extremely fuel efficient vehicles. There were a lot of small trucks in the 80's getting amazing gas mileage. If they could do it then I don't know why they couldn't do it now.

Yeah, and why couldn't they take the Rav4 engine and stick it in a truck? Frinstance, they use a Camry engine in the Highlander, right? Maybe the aerodynamics of a truck would cut down on MPG, but surely they could figure something out. Like you said, it's not rocket science. :grumble:

My dad's a mechanic, and he's been saying the same thing about Toyotas...guess they just don't make 'em like they used to, even compared to like 5 or 7 years ago. Same with Honda...that I know from personal experience. I'll spare you the long story, but I hear you on car quality, for sure.

And while I understand why gas companies don't want car companies making hybrids or fuel cell cars, I dunno, I wouldn't think 25 mpg trucks would send them into a panic, ya know? Surely car companies could find a line between appeasing the oil industry and making a truck that would really appeal to consumers and sell well.

^so are you saying I should stick with my 12-year-old, almost 13-year old Accord?

Well, hey, at least until it breaks! :D My parents had a 1991 Camry until 2003, and there at the end it was getting a little iffy and would've cost a lot to fix it, so we did have to put it out of its misery, but heck, it ran like crazy for years! But anyway, we had the same dilemma recently. After the Camry, we had an '03 Accord, and it had a bunch of problems that weren't just unique to our car - just due to bad design, I guess. So last year they went to buy another one, and it's like, uh, ok, now what do we do? We ended up getting another darned Accord, just because my dad knows a good Honda mechanic, and as I'm sure everyone is well aware, good mechanics are hard to find! So at least we know the repair will be right, even if it ends up being another "fine quality" piece of machinery. But yeah, that's a hard one...if Honda and Toyota aren't reliable anymore, what's the alternative?

I'm sick and tired of "someone" saying that they've always got plans every weekend.

What is the fucking point of having a boyfriend if they're always fucking busy?

That sucks Manders. :angry:

I'm not saying that having individual plans is bad, quite on the contrary (sometimes), but seeing that you just can't go out yourself.... That's pretty selfish of him.

Well, hey, at least until it breaks! :D My parents had a 1991 Camry until 2003, and there at the end it was getting a little iffy and would've cost a lot to fix it, so we did have to put it out of its misery, but heck, it ran like crazy for years! But anyway, we had the same dilemma recently. After the Camry, we had an '03 Accord, and it had a bunch of problems that weren't just unique to our car - just due to bad design, I guess. So last year they went to buy another one, and it's like, uh, ok, now what do we do? We ended up getting another darned Accord, just because my dad knows a good Honda mechanic, and as I'm sure everyone is well aware, good mechanics are hard to find! So at least we know the repair will be right, even if it ends up being another "fine quality" piece of machinery. But yeah, that's a hard one...if Honda and Toyota aren't reliable anymore, what's the alternative?

My friend has an '03 Accord. She sold her '96 (That looked exactly like mine...or shall I say mine looked like hers; I asked her if I could buy one the same color because the price was right, etc.) for it, and so far, she loves it. Hopefully she doesn't end up with a lot of the problems you have because I KNOW she can't afford to fix them. (She's due to start student teaching soon, and I honestly don't know how she's going to pay the payment on it once she has to quit her job.)

That sucks Manders. :angry:

I'm not saying that having individual plans is bad, quite on the contrary (sometimes), but seeing that you just can't go out yourself.... That's pretty selfish of him.

Yes, I was a bit hurt and pissed off about it. I still am, but he's trying to make up for it now.

Archived