The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

And I'm trying not to defend owners as well, but it sure looks that way because the instant the players hired Fehr I could not pin a lack of a season on anyone else. I certainly don't like the fact that Jacobs runs the show...

And players are conceding because owners are hurting. Not really hurting, as no one worth millions is truly hurting, but the sabres, for example, sell out 99% of season tickets year in and year out. And lose millions of dollars each year. That's messed up. While paying every expense of the player, equipment, travel, food, healthcare, medical care, etc. While earning 43% of HRR, even though the players don't put a cent towards the league they receive 57. They have other places to market their skill even if this one were to disappear. I guess I just won't ever have sympathy for someone making millions playing a game.

Right from the start, the players have agreed that the owners were not receiving their proper share of Hockey Related Revenue and have been more than prepared to rectify that. That said, I can also understand the owners wanting a long term CBA. What I find ridiculous is the owners being so insistant on limiting the terms of individual player contracts.. They already have a salary cap in place. Remember that, the thing that was going to save the league and something the owners thought was important enough to shut down a whole season back in 2004/05. I'll tell you what, the players sure remember it and quite honestly, given what the players seem willing to give up this time, I'd say Fehr would be charged with collusion if he were to recommend that they accept all of the other concessions that the owners are asking for

What is the problem a player would have with limited contract lengths anyway, honest question, I don't understand...

Wouldn't that mean more shots at a pay day throughout a career, and a drive to stay at a high level that wouldn't be there 4 years into a ten year contract? I can understand why they would be mad if the contracts in place now didn't get grandfathered into the new cba, but is that the case with the latest owner proposal?

Could you please elaborate as well on "what the players seem willing to give up this time"?

And they are being a bit too clingy on the whole contract length issue as well, but I still think they'd compromise in that area especially if they could also compromise on the cba length issue. Which the players seem to be avoiding equally.

What is the problem a player would have with limited contract lengths anyway, honest question, I don't understand...

Wouldn't that mean more shots at a pay day throughout a career, and a drive to stay at a high level that wouldn't be there 4 years into a ten year contract? I can understand why they would be mad if the contracts in place now didn't get grandfathered into the new cba, but is that the case with the latest owner proposal?

Could you please elaborate as well on "what the players seem willing to give up this time"?

And they are being a bit too clingy on the whole contract length issue as well, but I still think they'd compromise in that area especially if they could also compromise on the cba length issue. Which the players seem to be avoiding equally.

7% of their share of HRR $ to be handed over to the owners. On the face of it, that might seem fair but in order to get it, the owners have offered nothing to the players in return.Here's my point, if you haven't got or are unwilling to trade something to get something, then it's not called negotiating. It's called imposing your will. From a position of relative neutrality, that's what I see here and for that reason, I think the season will be lost unless the owners back off on something...anything

This does a pretty good job of explaining things http://www.silversevensens.com/2012/10/17/3516314/silver-nuggets-examining-the-nhls-latest-cba-proposal

This too http://www.examiner....ba-negotiations

7% of their share of HRR $ to be handed over to the owners. On the face of it, that might seem fair but in order to get it, the owners have offered nothing to the players in return.Here's my point, if you haven't got or are unwilling to trade something to get something, then it's not called negotiating. It's called imposing your will. From a position of relative neutrality, that's what I see here and for that reason, I think the season will be lost unless the owners back off on something...anything

This does a pretty good job of explaining things http://www.silversev...st-cba-proposal

This too http://www.examiner....ba-negotiations

Daly's words "the hill we will die on" tell it all. They will not budge. And this tells me they have no consideration for the fans and are devils that have no business having anything to do with hockey. I wish to hell they would all be kicked to the curb. Bettman first. Then Daly.

Daly's words "the hill we will die on" tell it all. They will not budge. And this tells me they have no consideration for the fans and are devils that have no business having anything to do with hockey. I wish to hell they would all be kicked to the curb. Bettman first. Then Daly.

You know what the real piss of is Rick ...Arcane29 is correct about there being room to negotiate on both sides and any sane group of people should have been able to get a deal done once the mediators were asked in. There is plenty of wrigle room on paper, for it to happen. In fact, I was convinced it would happen. Unforunately what's become clear to me is that we are fighting 2005 all over again. The owners think they can impose a contract, which they pretty much did with the salary cap, and the players are digging in their heels because they they feel they let the owners walk all over them. It's just a pissing contest now

You know what the real piss of is Rick ...Arcane29 is correct about there being room to negotiate on both sides and any sane group of people should have been able to get a deal done once the mediators were asked in. There is plenty of wrigle room on paper, for it to happen. In fact, I was convinced it would happen. Unforunately what's become clear to me is that we are fighting 2005 all over again. The owners think they can impose a contract, which they pretty much did with the salary cap, and the players are digging in their heels because they they feel they let the owners walk all over them. It's just a pissing contest now

We are beyond the eleventh hour for having any type of season. I believe if a deal is not struck by Xmas Eve its over. Its bullshit. Many, even the die hard fans will not be fast to forgive either side. I can see pennies being thrown on the ice in Philly. There will be trouble

Daly says there will be a season!!! This is a huge statement for him to go out on a limb with,. He knows somethiing. I believe the owners will bend but wont break. The NHLPA is ready to break. So if we have a 48 game season lets say for the sake of argument, it makes lower seed teams all the more dangerous and makes the big money spending Rangers open game.

Daly is on record he believes the season will still be saved. I do not know how he can say this when his own boy is making it impossible. Canceled through mid Jan and now they say that Jan is the last chance date at saving the season. Could they squeeze a 50 game season in after Jan 14th? 4 Months I suppose. Perhaps they will cut the playoff number to six? Who knows?

Looks like he owners are offering concessions

http://www.usatoday....oposal/1795967/

If the players walk away from this they will lose everything. They will lose all of their money and their fans forever. Sign the fucking paper and get to work. Many fans have already said they no longer care. This is the last chance for these greedy stupid players to save their game. If they turn this down, its suicide to their careers and the sport of hockey.

Sounds promising, but I won't hold my breath on a deal getting done. At the very least, it should make for an interesting weekend to see if Fehr & company will relent and sign the deal.

Tick tock. I guess they are mulling it. I believe they know its the last chance to save the season. They know it. They have not come out and turned it down yet. So that is good in itself. I say they are just nuts not to accept it and drop the puck on Jan 19th. They are saying fuck you to all of us if they turn this down. The players included. And if they want to save the sport they had best accept this offer and do it before the fucking ball drops

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1468241-gary-bettman-reportedly-willing-to-cancel-nhl-season-without-deal-soon?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nhl

Bettman is willing to cancel the season!!!! And he is more out for the money than the fans. The players are on my shit list too. They are being ridiculous and are going to ruin the greatest sport on Earth.

World Jr's tomorrow! USA goes for the gold.

Hard to say how good the Swedes are as I thought they had a relatively easy section but it's not often they don't have a great team. Still, I'm picking the USA to come home with the gold

Hard to say how good the Swedes are as I thought they had a relatively easy section but it's not often they don't have a great team. Still, I'm picking the USA to come home with the gold

The Swedes are not as good as in the past in my opinion, based on recent juniour games. The Swiss have no luck in OT. I pick the USA to win 6-2

The Swedes are not as good as in the past in my opinion, based on recent juniour games. The Swiss have no luck in OT. I pick the USA to win 6-2

Damn thats a big spread. I think if the juniors pulli it out, it will be late and close. 3-2 Finals normally bring out the best in the cage minders.

Archived