The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

Yesterday, when I saw Marvin Miller as a headline in the paper, I thought perhaps he was going to help in the negotiation and I thought that may actually help.

Unfortunately, it was because he died. Ah well...

Yes, I saw that about Marvin Miller. I don't know who would make a good arbitrator but if Obama was to appoint one, that person would have to be someone who's widely respected. I'm voting for our very own Deborah J. That gal can make sense out of anything :lol:

Every Thanksgiving night we (my wife and her family) go see the Waterloo Black Hawks play the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders . Its the United States Hockey League, Young arena in Waterloo hold about 3500 fans, and its sold out every time we are up there. Its great hockey, but I do miss the NHL....they have cheated us, the fans, out of half a season ....personaly Im very pissed of. After getting my first taste of live hockey this year, I can't wait to see more....the fans up in Iowa have such passion for the game. Its one thing that the minor leauge hockey down here lacks, we have the teams, but the fans lack the passion....This is something that will haunt the NHL when , if , the season starts up...the lack of passion for the sport in the sunbelt markets.

post-841-0-12486300-1354157458_thumb.gif

Yes, I saw that about Marvin Miller. I don't know who would make a good arbitrator but if Obama was to appoint one, that person would have to be someone who's widely respected. I'm voting for our very own Deborah J. That gal can make sense out of anything :lol:

That is a fabulous idea!! :D

Every Thanksgiving night we (my wife and her family) go see the Waterloo Black Hawks play the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders . Its the United States Hockey League, Young arena in Waterloo hold about 3500 fans, and its sold out every time we are up there. Its great hockey, but I do miss the NHL....they have cheated us, the fans, out of half a season ....personaly Im very pissed of. After getting my first taste of live hockey this year, I can't wait to see more....the fans up in Iowa have such passion for the game. Its one thing that the minor leauge hockey down here lacks, we have the teams, but the fans lack the passion....This is something that will haunt the NHL when , if , the season starts up...the lack of passion for the sport in the sunbelt markets.

i am sure the AHL has benefited some. The AHL is so damn big now. I cant keep track there are so many teams. And far away too. San Antonio has a team. My own Rochester Americans are one of the oldest and succesfull teams in the league's history. Many Calder Cups and them and I think the Hershey Bears are probably the two most celebrated franchises in the league. Don Cherry played for Rochester.

Not my sport, but every bar owner in the Detroit area is crying the blues. Most are usually packed during a Wings game, so this strike is killing their Winter business.

I am sure it is and it has to be killing Canada and the Northeastern USA including Buffalo in my region. Sucks.

DC's Gallery Place claims business is off and the losing Wiz is not picking up the slack.

http://www.wtop.com/...ss-in-Chinatown

Who would have thought hockey would effect chinatown. I did not realize there was a china town in Wash? I was there in 77, to see Led zeppelin in nearby Landover, ,MD. I do not ever care to see Washington again.

Who would have thought hockey would effect chinatown. I did not realize there was a china town in Wash? I was there in 77, to see Led zeppelin in nearby Landover, ,MD. I do not ever care to see Washington again.

When the Caps are playing it is a great scene. I am not much of a Washingtonian. However downtown stays buzzing with excitement, when the fans are rockin the red. If we ever have Hockey again, you need to watch your Sabres take on my Caps in the booth. You'll be hooked. By the way the Capitals are the only Washington team us baltimorons actually follow. We generally loathe the 'skins.

When the Caps are playing it is a great scene. I am not much of a Washingtonian. However downtown stays buzzing with excitement, when the fans are rockin the red. If we ever have Hockey again, you need to watch your Sabres take on my Caps in the booth. You'll be hooked. By the way the Capitals are the only Washington team us baltimorons actually follow. We generally loathe the 'skins.

I hope there is hockey again. I never miss a Sabres game. When they play there I am always watching

"After two days of talks with officials from the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service failed to bring NHL owners and players closer to a deal to end the 75-day-old lockout, Commissioner Gary Bettman has suggested an owner-player-only meeting as the next step" :

http://m.usatoday.co...le/news/1736099

If Terry Pegula, the Sabers owner has any say in this, he will get them on the ice. But he is one of few smart owners out there. He is not arrogant. Or out to screw the players.

"After two days of talks with officials from the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service failed to bring NHL owners and players closer to a deal to end the 75-day-old lockout, Commissioner Gary Bettman has suggested an owner-player-only meeting as the next step" :

http://m.usatoday.co...le/news/1736099

That might work. I think there are many on both sides who are not being heard

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=646751&navid=DL|NHL|home

Optomism by a major network. I think we may have a partial season announced by weeks end? It sounds like they are getting somwhere . And I have heard my boy Ryan Miller is a major player in this process. I hope that he can help resolve it. Then the scheduling nightmare. I do not know how they are going to do it? It must start before Xmas one would think?

I wonder what Miller said? But every major sports site is now painting a more optomistic picture and some believe by tomorrow we could have an announcement there will be a season. That would be great. I then have to call Direct TV and see what kind of a deal i can swindle on Center Ice. i will plead my case. Say, look what they did to us. You cant expect a full payment. And I am sure they know this. I am guessing a 50 game season? Every game will be more important than ever. I wonder if they will move Winnipeg now?

I wonder what Miller said? But every major sports site is now painting a more optomistic picture and some believe by tomorrow we could have an announcement there will be a season. That would be great. I then have to call Direct TV and see what kind of a deal i can swindle on Center Ice. i will plead my case. Say, look what they did to us. You cant expect a full payment. And I am sure they know this. I am guessing a 50 game season? Every game will be more important than ever. I wonder if they will move Winnipeg now?

Yes, the networks are being optomistic but until there's a signed deal on the table, I'm going to hold back on getting too excited.

Yes, the networks are being optomistic but until there's a signed deal on the table, I'm going to hold back on getting too excited.

After just reading that Bettman turned down the latest offer, I am now finished hoping. Bettman is a fucking bastard beyond any other commisioner in the history of sports. The man stinks.

Archived