Favorite song to play

Carouselambra. When I voted here years ago that is was my favorite Zeppelin tune, I was amongst two other people who agreed. I think that's funny, last place for my tastes.

But, then of couse, I like Ode to Roy Harper, and can even enjoy Living Loving Maid if the mood is right.

My band opens with Immigrant Song with the extended guitar solo like on HTWWW. I'm not much for it in rehearsals, but when we launch the set with it live, it just gets me right into the zone! We end it and it's like "That's right! Have some of that, bitches! IN YOUR FACE!!". Hell yeah!

I also love that The Rain Song is in our set. My bassist/keyboardist has mastered the string parts and it just sounds so beautiful! He hits those improvs from TSRTS and it's like "Yeahhhhh, that's the shit right there, bro!"

When I'm practicing by myself, I love jamming on the "Boogie Mama" rockabilly solo from WLL on TSRTS soundtrack. Jimmy's just so...on! I've been using that in my practice routine for 30 years and it's always fun!

Oh, and Stairway from TSRTS soundtrack. I know every little note and nuance. Hell, I even play the notes Jimmy messed up, lol! Authenticity man! :D

Oh and the No Quarter solo from TSRTS.

Aw heck, TSRTS was the soundtrack of my teens. At one point I could play every note of every song, even the bow solo. Nothing made me happier!

I'm a little rusty nowadays though. Maybe I should revisit! :lol:

My band opens with Immigrant Song with the extended guitar solo like on HTWWW. I'm not much for it in rehearsals, but when we launch the set with it live, it just gets me right into the zone! We end it and it's like "That's right! Have some of that, bitches! IN YOUR FACE!!". Hell yeah!

I also love that The Rain Song is in our set. My bassist/keyboardist has mastered the string parts and it just sounds so beautiful! He hits those improvs from TSRTS and it's like "Yeahhhhh, that's the shit right there, bro!"

When I'm practicing by myself, I love jamming on the "Boogie Mama" rockabilly solo from WLL on TSRTS soundtrack. Jimmy's just so...on! I've been using that in my practice routine for 30 years and it's always fun!

Oh, and Stairway from TSRTS soundtrack. I know every little note and nuance. Hell, I even play the notes Jimmy messed up, lol! Authenticity man! :D

Oh and the No Quarter solo from TSRTS.

Aw heck, TSRTS was the soundtrack of my teens. At one point I could play every note of every song, even the bow solo. Nothing made me happier!

I'm a little rusty nowadays though. Maybe I should revisit! :lol:

That rockabilly solo always was my favorite, too. I can play some of it, not all. Gets a little tricky for me, still it is a blast to play. I thought I was the real deal when I could play Celebration Day of TSRTS. Looking back, its not that hard. Oh well. The solo from NQ on same is unreal, never could get that down. Sounds like a man possessed!

This is for all the music players out here. What is your favorite song to jam on? Either alone or with your band. What is your instrument? Any particular reason for the favoriteness?? My particular favorite is: Alone--Ten years Gone, With Band---WLL. Reason? TYG sounds great alone, WLL sounds great with a band. Also, they cover any drunken mistakes I may make!! Not that I make any mistakes..... :wub:

me and my band enjoy fucking around with Moby Dick(riff section only) as a warmup at practice, and played it once(drunkenly) as an intro to a song at a show once...lol, didnt go over well when the following song was an original. When practicing guitar in the privacy of my living room latley, it's been the begining and ending coda of ALS. For Your Life is also fun to jam along with...

I don't have a band, just myself, an acoustic and an electric. I like playing Misty Mountain Hop, Over the Hills and Far Away, Kashmir and especially That's the Way and Friends. I know a fair amount of Zep tunes but am trying to work on the solos of my favourites.

On the electric I love to play Nobody's Fault But Mine and Bring it on Home. I'm also trying to learn Shake My Tree. I kind of like that little riff in that tune.

Stairway is an obligatory one but not like I've seen posted by one individual here.

While this thing is rolling on, can anyone please tell me what the tuning is for Poor Tom? Is it the same as Friends?

Thanks.

i recently bought one of those backing track cds and man was i happy, playing along to since ive been lovin you is just class, any players out there that donet have this should get involved, £5 from ebay, bargain if you ask me! all proper musicians on there too

fav tunes to play, the rain song, SIBLY, black dog, in the light, Achillies last stand, going to california

one thing thats a pain but a learning curve is having to retune my guitar for certain songs but i got over it!!!! :D

6 & 12 string guitar. I've worked out versions of most of the zep tunes I play to accomodate whichever git I'm on and whether or not I'm playing electric or acoustic.

Lately, I've been using The Ocean for warming up, and it just never seems to get old for me. It's a fun song to play, and just challenging enough to get a good warm-up.

Favs:

Achilles Last Stand

TSRTS Stairway

TSRTS No Quarter

Good Times, Bad Times

Nobody's Fault but Mine

Ramble On

OTHAFA HTWWW opening version

Bon-yaur stomp (in standard tuning believe it or not)

At any given time there's 5-10 zep songs in setlist. Varies depending on venue/audience

• 2 weeks later...

I close each of my concerts with "Thank You".

I've done medleys: Including (TSRTS, That's The Way, OTHAFA, IMTOD and on a rare occasion, Kashmir, AML or RNR).

The first band I was in (back 20+ years ago), we did The Ocean, RNR and The Immigrant Song.

R B)

www.myspace.com/reidstevens

Midnight Rambler by the Stones. I play guitar and this song goes someplace. It's not just a spin around the block like a short song would be. It has all those different parts. It's a great warm-up song. I wish the Stones would try opening their shows with it. That would be interesting. They could come out casually, Mick do his little warm-up on the harp, "Well I'm a talkin' 'bout the midnight rambler, everybody got to go". And then Keith hits it. It would be great!

I can even do this song without the capo. It's just a little more stretching.

ODA3.jpg

I agree, this is a fantastic tune. I think I prefer it to Can't You Hear Me Knocking. What fret is the capo on usually?

The Song I love to play on guitar (and quite poorly on drums) is The Rover.

I've been returning to that song for 10 years at least.

I can nail the solo (on a good day), the lead fills, the rythmn guitar, but I cannot get the main riff going on.

That riff is Jimmy's ultimate cocksure swaggering riff. It grinds up againt Bonhams drum on the backbeat - its almost obscene. I know the notes, but I cannot capture the sleazy swagger.

Man I love that song! Getting that riff down is my holy grail.

This is for all the music players out here. What is your favorite song to jam on? Either alone or with your band. What is your instrument? Any particular reason for the favoriteness?? My particular favorite is: Alone--Ten years Gone, With Band---WLL. Reason? TYG sounds great alone, WLL sounds great with a band. Also, they cover any drunken mistakes I may make!! Not that I make any mistakes..... :wub:

ive just tuned the guitar to' open d' its a cool tuning you can do travelling riverside blues ,in my time of dying black crowes type stuff it forces you to look at the guitar in a different way ,try it

I'm a guitarist! I love to play Kashmir on my guitar! :mellow:

I like to sing "The Lemon Song", although I never got to do it with a band, only at karaoke. Now that I'm getting into Anglo-Saxon and Norse culture, however, I'm enjoying singing "The Immigrant Song"

Archived