Why Misty Mountain Hop

Yep and I agree. In fact I don't think I would change a thing in the setlist because they put together a perfect setlist.

They started off with their first song off their first album, which I don't think was really ever played in full. Maybe it was in 68, but there's no real evidence of that. Then they went with a softer song which again they never played live as Zeppelin. Just parts of it in medleys. That set up a really heavy version of Black Dog and then they kept pumping great song after great song.

You aren't going to have perfect setlist for everyone. People are going to nitpick it. But what do you want the boys to do? Kill themselves playing a 6 hour set?

Why are there so many people saying that Misty Mountain should be dropped off the O2 set list. It has always been one of my favorite Led Zeppelini songs and from what I have seen of the O2 show it sounded pretty good. Can someone please give me an explanation as to why they think it should be dropped?

Because they wanted another song played instead I guess. Personally I had no problem with it.

The set list was never going to please everyone and how could it cos we all have different views on every Zep song.

I would have liked Achilles last Stand and Thank You and others too in there but am I disappointed with the show? NO WAY.

They could have played the whole set on banjos for all I cared :D

Live, I've always thought "MMH" was one of their weaker songs. It's a great record, I just don't think it's one of their stronger numbers live. One of my favorite Zep songs, "Levee", I feel the same way about. As much as I love it, it doesn't translate as well in a live setting. There a songs I don't like as much as those 2 that I'd rather hear just because they're better live, "No Quarter" for example. I won't listen to the studio version, but I'll listen to any live version.

I think misty mountain hop is meant to play live, yeah a great recorded version but it takes off into something else live. Yeah its not taking off into any type of jamming, but its one of those songs that most everyone can relate to, wanting to fly away.

....I'm not sure why people don't like it but I'm pretty sure the boys played it just to put an upbeat fun tune before the epic ending and after the number of epic tunes they had played before it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to the show tonight and with the interesting and subdued -stairway, low key and by the numbers intro to -the song remains the same, but lead up to that song taking off...

They then did this great version of -misty mountain hop with jason on backing vocals, which really added to the song. Ofcourse the amazing version of -kashmir follows. This show just had such an interesting flow and the subtleties and letting the songs do the work, is just great!

I thought lyrically the choice of GTBT was a good one - "In the days of my youth/I was told what it means to be a man/now i've reached that age i've tried to do/all those things the best I can".

....I'm not sure why people don't like it but I'm pretty sure the boys played it just to put an upbeat fun tune before the epic ending and after the number of epic tunes they had played before it.

For Zeppelin every tune is epic. But I know what you mean and yeah it looked like they were having a lot of fun on stage while playing it.

Hi all,

You remeber Robert's early tours? This ones one of the first Zep songs he played as solo artist,...

Now only that,this song swings!!!!!!! If you can't dance to it,ye legs are broken! :D

Walkin' in the park just the other day,baby,..

And honey, what did you think I saw?

KB(crowds of people(?)

MMH is killer on ZoSo. It becomes weaker live. I don't know why that is. I think that Levee could have been killer live.

I think I will start a tread about live vs studio.

Mc7

Well, when the levee breaks could not be what it was recorded either...no way. But, from what the jam at the rock and roll hall of fame in 95 sounded like, it could be very cool live, different sound, different elements.

I was so happy as they played MMH. It's one of my son's favorites, it made me think how happy he'd be as he got to know this song was performed at the O2. It was already an increadible feeling to be there at the concert. This song just added to it.

Archived