lord of the rings and led zeppelin

hippylove

Yes, I actually used to imagine him in various roles in that book--not hobbits, though. ;)

I just love that pic, Reggie--not just any Plant pic would do, it's the eyes that work perfectly. :wub:

Do tell! ;)

He is a bit too tall for a hobbit. :D

Do tell! ;)

He is a bit too tall for a hobbit. :D

He's quite a lot too tall for a hobbit! :lol:

In addition to the elves, I could also see him--ignoring the way he's described in the book ;) as Aragorn, or Eomer. The present-day Robert might make a good Theoden, too.

I recently started re-reading lord of the rings, right... (i know nerdy, right?) Anyway, i started analyzing the books as a led zeppelin fan point-of-view. And i came across many thins that seemed strangely familiar.. I already knew that the Misty Mountains are refered to in the song MIsty Mountain Hop. But in Ramble On, I heard Robert Plant singing about the deepest depths of Mordor, and Gollum snatchiing a girl (whom i think is a metaphor for the ONe ring) And i thought that was curious. I have a theory (well an incomplete theory) about the original publisher of the book which happens to be a Ballantine Books.

Nwo, i think Bonzo's sign may have some sort of connection with lord of the rings.. Now correct me if mi'm wrong, but isn't one of the possible theories behind his sign is Ballantine ale?? Coincidence?? i think not! MInd you, this is a half-assed theory. Can someone expand on this? Please explain if you can.

the lord of the rings is baced on Wagner's operas Der Ring des Nibelungen (The Ring of the Nibelung). the first opera of Der Ring des Nibelungen was das rheingold, the plot two this was based alot on Valhalla, witch is menchind in the Immigrant Song, its probly just a cowincidence lol but when u talked about lord of the rings i started thinking about it lol

the lord of the rings is baced on Wagner's operas Der Ring des Nibelungen (The Ring of the Nibelung). the first opera of Der Ring des Nibelungen was das rheingold, the plot two this was based alot on Valhalla, witch is menchind in the Immigrant Song, its probly just a cowincidence lol but when u talked about lord of the rings i started thinking about it lol

Disagree with that "the lord of rings is based on Wagner's operas". They both took items from the Norse mythology though, Valhalla for example.

No it isn't. :huh: Tolkien was a Professor of Anglo-Saxon, and mostly interested in the early English written tradition, things like Beowulf, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, etc. However as there are connections between Old English and Old Norse, Tolkien also knew a lot about Norse mythology, hence some of the overlapping glicine just mentioned.

Sorry mate you are incorrect.

Disagree with that "the lord of rings is based on Wagner's operas". They both took items from the Norse mythology though, Valhalla for example.

if you do your reacerch the lord of the rings isent completly baced on Wagner but i it is a fact that Wagner's operas hade a influenc on it

if you do your reacerch the lord of the rings isent completly baced on Wagner but i it is a fact that Wagner's operas hade a influenc on it

I wrote my graduation thesis on Das Nibelungenlied, thanks.

He's quite a lot too tall for a hobbit! :lol:

In addition to the elves, I could also see him--ignoring the way he's described in the book ;) as Aragorn, or Eomer. The present-day Robert might make a good Theoden, too.

I always thought that too.

It is possible that Robert came from Middle Earth or something. :D

i find it hard to believe that plant said none were really about lotr, especially being that in one of the live versions of ramble on that he did with page post zep he said in the beginning that (paraphrasing this slightly) it was a song inspire by mr j r r r r r r tolkien... and i bet you can guess which one it is...

soooo yea, and can someone please explain to me the lotr references to lotr in over the hills and far away? its my favorite song, by them or anyone else, so i know the lyrics completely... and it certainly fits with that type of mystic adventurous sort of feel of lotr, but i cant really spot any real references... Thanks!

i find it hard to believe that plant said none were really about lotr, especially being that in one of the live versions of ramble on that he did with page post zep he said in the beginning that (paraphrasing this slightly) it was a song inspire by mr j r r r r r r tolkien... and i bet you can guess which one it is...

soooo yea, and can someone please explain to me the lotr references to lotr in over the hills and far away? its my favorite song, by them or anyone else, so i know the lyrics completely... and it certainly fits with that type of mystic adventurous sort of feel of lotr, but i cant really spot any real references... Thanks!

I don't think the songs were necessarily about LOTR but inspired by the imagery and themes in the books IMO.

Archived