lord of the rings and led zeppelin

hippylove

i find it hard to believe that plant said none were really about lotr, especially being that in one of the live versions of ramble on that he did with page post zep he said in the beginning that (paraphrasing this slightly) it was a song inspire by mr j r r r r r r tolkien... and i bet you can guess which one it is...

Well, they AREN'T about LOTR, are they? They do include certain names and references, inspired by Tolkien as he said, but the songs aren't ABOUT the books, unless you count a couple of lines set in Mordor where the character's lady friend is abducted by Gollum, which to my knowledge doesn't happen in the books.

OTHAFA comes from a hobbit song in one of the books.

Ramble On could relate to the Fellowship leaving Rivendell.

The Battle of Evermore reminds me of the Orcs attack on Helm's Deep.

Misty Mountain Hop?

No Quarter fits with the trek across the mountains into the mines of Moria.

I don't know if all of this is right, just an observation.

Use your imagination.

Misty Mountain Hop?

Use your imagination.

Retelling of the Hobbit in the form of a kid doing marijuana for the first time.

Misty Mountain Hop?

Use your imagination.

which hobbit song would that be? id like to go back and read it again

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know why Robert is always ashamed that he used LOTR reference, maybe he just doesn't like it as much anymore or something. But Misty Mountain Hop is pretty obvious since it's title is the Misty Mountains referred to in Tolkien's books. And MMH is a retelling of the Hobbit as well as a kid's LSD trip.

Battle of Evermore and Ramble On not only has direct quotes from the LOTRs books but they also use terms only in Tolkien's works. It's pretty obvious Plant did use some of those works in his songs.

Sorry if someone mentioned it already but didn't he name his dog "Strider"?

Sorry if someone mentioned it already but didn't he name his dog "Strider"?

Yes he did.

There are allegorical Tolkien references in Zeppelin songs. But I don't think Plant was intentionally being Tolkienesque, but rather using word imagery that just sounded cool coming off the tongue. I mean, Misty Mountain Hop may have a Tolkien reference in its title, but getting busted by the cops for smoking weed in the park doesn't occur in any of the Tolkien books I've read. ;)

Battle of Evermore is more about the Welsh border wars than LOTR, but Plant maybe did inflect a little imagery once again.

It's kind of like saying Achilles' Last Stand has to do with Greek mythology. It's representative, not definitive.

Yes he did.

There are allegorical Tolkien references in Zeppelin songs. But I don't think Plant was intentionally being Tolkienesque, but rather using word imagery that just sounded cool coming off the tongue. I mean, Misty Mountain Hop may have a Tolkien reference in its title, but getting busted by the cops for smoking weed in the park doesn't occur in any of the Tolkien books I've read. ;)

Battle of Evermore is more about the Welsh border wars than LOTR, but Plant maybe did inflect a little imagery once again.

It's kind of like saying Achilles' Last Stand has to do with Greek mythology. It's representative, not definitive.

Got it in one. :D

Yes he did.

Perfect answer and clever

I thought it was so interesting, during one of the Page/Plant interviews, Robert said he lives not far from the area that Frodo is supose to be from. "That Frodo lives. He should still live there today." I thought that was so interesting. His love for that, and my interest anyway has gotten me to really curious to read the books. I loved the movies from loving my Mother's calenders dipecting some of the scenes when I was little in the late 70's -early '80's.

Yes he did.

Rightwraith's weren't a word till Tolkein came up with them. That is in Battle of the Evermore. The Queen of Light is also mentioned in Fellowship of the Rings. I do see your point about it just being about various battles also. But there's definite Tolkien references in that song. The first few lines of the song are almost direct quotes from the book. Just like some lines from Ramble On are direct quotes.

I'll try and find exact dates, but Plant also said in some concerts that Misty Mountain Hop was Tolkien influenced. I'll have to go through my bootleg collection to give you exact dates.

Rightwraith's weren't a word till Tolkein came up with them. That is in Battle of the Evermore. The Queen of Light is also mentioned in Fellowship of the Rings. I do see your point about it just being about various battles also. But there's definite Tolkien references in that song. The first few lines of the song are almost direct quotes from the book. Just like some lines from Ramble On are direct quotes.

I'll try and find exact dates, but Plant also said in some concerts that Misty Mountain Hop was Tolkien influenced. I'll have to go through my bootleg collection to give you exact dates.

Gollum in Ramble On too. But look at the verse. "Gollum and the Evil One crept up and slipped away with her" Is "her" the Ring? Certainly not. So it's allegorical (and perhaps kind of cheesy, but it sure fit the song, and I think that speaks to the point). But that was the time, and Robert was much younger than I.

I still say representative not definitive. References not constructions. Allegorical. I know all the banter references from the shows. I'd love to see them quoted, btw. That would be cool Nick! But I still believe it's just wordplay and not actual telling of Tolkienesque tales. A word here. A phrase there. I think Robert was just getting his footing as a lyricist and borrowing imagery. I don't believe it was his intent to write Hobbit songs, but rather to evoke a certain essence of a world he was fond of.

Gollum in Ramble On too. But look at the verse. "Gollum and the Evil One crept up and slipped away with her" Is "her" the Ring? Certainly not. So it's allegorical (and perhaps kind of cheesy, but it sure fit the song, and I think that speaks to the point). But that was the time, and Robert was much younger than I.

I still say representative not definitive. References not constructions. Allegorical. I know all the banter references from the shows. I'd love to see them quoted, btw. That would be cool Nick! But I still believe it's just wordplay and not actual telling of Tolkienesque tales. A word here. A phrase there. I think Robert was just getting his footing as a lyricist and borrowing imagery. I don't believe it was his intent to write Hobbit songs, but rather to evoke a certain essence of a world he was fond of.

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Agreed!!!!

It seems pretty simple to me--he uses evocative words and phrases, but the songs aren't ABOUT the books, because the things that happen in the songs don't happen in the books. He mentions Ringwraiths, sure--but if I describe my dentist as being a like a Ringwraith (and he's not nearly that cool), that doesn't mean I'm telling a story taken from Tolkien, only that I'm using an image taken from one of his books in my OWN story, to evoke a certain feeling, impression, or atmosphere. Robert looks around for someone who might be a suitable symbol of betrayal or evil--if he'd been Jimmy, he might have come up with Lucifer, but he's Robert so he comes up with Gollum.

what about jimmy page's guitar playing? there is some sort of an english story telling sound to it, from some of the stuff in black dog to achilles, not to mention all the other stuff. my friend is a big -genesis fan and i was over there the other day and he played some stuff from -francis dunnery/it bites, plants guitarist in 93 and most of the stuff was prog/prince related, but there was this 8minute guitar piece that was sort of classical/whimsical and i left before it was over. what about steve hackett? what about rory gallagher? with jimmy, i think he just blended his influences very well, the american blues, the english and old standards.

btw, don't we know that stairway to heaven means nothing.

what about jimmy page's guitar playing? there is some sort of an english story telling sound to it, from some of the stuff in black dog to achilles, not to mention all the other stuff. my friend is a big -genesis fan and i was over there the other day and he played some stuff from -francis dunnery/it bites, plants guitarist in 93 and most of the stuff was prog/prince related, but there was this 8minute guitar piece that was sort of classical/whimsical and i left before it was over. what about steve hackett? what about rory gallagher? with jimmy, i think he just blended his influences very well, the american blues, the english and old standards.

btw, don't we know that stairway to heaven means nothing.

Are you implying that Page's guitar playing evokes Tolkien? JPJ wrote the riff for Black Dog. I don't mean any offence. I just don't see the connection.

And "Stairway" means "nothing"? I guess that depends on who you ask! :lol:

I'm not battling you Middlezep. Just picking your brain! ;)

My friend Rand did a video of Ten Years Gone to LOTR's Aragorn and Arwen love story a few years ago. It fit perfectly! Really cool! But as we know, Ten Years Gone is absent of any Tolkien references. ;)

True but I can see how the visual imagery of LOTR could fit against the song.

Are you implying that Page's guitar playing evokes Tolkien? JPJ wrote the riff for Black Dog. I don't mean any offence. I just don't see the connection.

And "Stairway" means "nothing"? I guess that depends on who you ask! :lol:

I'm not battling you Middlezep. Just picking your brain! ;)

I guess i was saying that -page's guitar playing has some english elements combined with american. the black dog riff was jpj's, but didnt jimmy add the other elements to the song? almost sounds like it could be an old traditional song,the guitar section i'm talking about. in regards to -tolkien and being creative, yes jimmy definately added that element to the music and whether tolkien influences or whatever was, it was at some high level of music. achilles last stand is another world.

with the stairway to heaven comment, i was reffering to the title in particular, but also how the song has been over interpretted and played backwards and such. what i'm trying to say is just listen to the music. i should just shut up.

• 1 month later...

Ähm, I have a question, maybe it has already been answered on this thread (or elsewhere), but I didn't have time to read more than the first two pages... I always wondered, if Robert liked the LotR-films - I tried to find out, but couldn't get no information. Someone has an answer?

Ähm, I have a question, maybe it has already been answered on this thread (or elsewhere), but I didn't have time to read more than the first two pages... I always wondered, if Robert liked the LotR-films - I tried to find out, but couldn't get no information. Someone has an answer?

Hmmm, don't remember reading about him commenting on the films.

Archived