How does Soundboard recordings get out

Pb Derigable

Thanks for posting that story about Mike Millard, mattmc.

As for the Cleveland 77 soundboard, the rumor is that Zeppelin had recorded a copy of that show to be played at venues in lieu of a soundcheck. In other words, that tape was piped through the arenas they played from May to July '77 rather than the band actually showing up and running through a few songs to get the right audio levels for the sound system/board guys.

Yes, I've heard the same story! The copy I have is certainly very good quality - all 6 discs.

I did hear that Zep played this not only once but a few times in lieu of an actual soundcheck.

If you're not familiar with Mike "The Mic" Millard, he's quite a story. He would fake being handicapped so he could come into the arena in a wheelchair, and would hide his recording equipment in the wheelchair. He didn't do his recordings for release or bootlegs, they were for himself and his friends. He was pissed when Listen To This Eddie came out, because he knew that a friend he'd given a copy to must have sold out. From then on, he would "mark" the copies he gave out in some way, like dropping the volume down for a second at a certain point of the tape, then would log what "mark" he put on what tape. So that if it ever showed up on bootleg, he would know who sold it. Not much is known about him, but it's thought that he committed suicide in the 90's and his family has all of his tapes, though it's also thought that he erased many before his death.

Not familiar with Mike Millard at all...sad story for sure. But what a legacy he left behind.

Does anyone have a listing of his recordings? I'm sure I must have more than one of his "works of art".

Not familiar with Mike Millard at all...sad story for sure. But what a legacy he left behind.

Does anyone have a listing of his recordings? I'm sure I must have more than one of his "works of art".

OK...I know I don't have them all, but here's what I can personally recommend:

Listen To This Eddie- LA Forum, 6/21/77. THEE defining recording IMO in terms of sound quality.

For Badgeholders Only- 6/23/77

Mystery Train- San Diego 6/19/77

Sex Machine- LA Forum 3/25/75

California Graffiti- Long Beach, 3-11-75

If you're not familiar with Mike "The Mic" Millard, he's quite a story. He would fake being handicapped so he could come into the arena in a wheelchair, and would hide his recording equipment in the wheelchair. He didn't do his recordings for release or bootlegs, they were for himself and his friends. He was pissed when Listen To This Eddie came out, because he knew that a friend he'd given a copy to must have sold out. From then on, he would "mark" the copies he gave out in some way, like dropping the volume down for a second at a certain point of the tape, then would log what "mark" he put on what tape. So that if it ever showed up on bootleg, he would know who sold it. Not much is known about him, but it's thought that he committed suicide in the 90's and his family has all of his tapes, though it's also thought that he erased many before his death.

If he were smart he would be making money off his boots by selling them.

IF he were ALIVE...He probably wouldn't have sold them anyway, he seemed like a true purist.

That's what I meant by were in past tense. I'm all for being a purist but if I had concerts like that and recorded as well as he did I would be selling copies and probably end up making thousands of dollars of them. But that's just me.

That's what I meant by were in past tense. I'm all for being a purist but if I had concerts like that and recorded as well as he did I would be selling copies and probably end up making thousands of dollars of them. But that's just me.

I have some of those recordings....wanna buy 'em?

There are at least 3 sources of where the boots gone.

1. Page's House - Most soundboard tapes and studio recordings.

2. Sound engineers - some soundboards.

3. Friends - At least, only the "71 Japan Soundboard" was attributed to be from a friend of the band in Japan, but has not been confirmed clearly.

There are at least 3 sources of where the boots gone.

1. Page's House - Most soundboard tapes and studio recordings.

2. Sound engineers - some soundboards.

3. Friends - At least, only the "71 Japan Soundboard" was attributed to be from a friend of the band in Japan, but has not been confirmed clearly.

All of the Japan '71 recordings are audience, though.

What about all the soundboards from 75 that have been surfacing in recent years? They sound phenomenal (except that Robert was quite croaky at the time). :beer:

Quality-wise, I don't know which is better between St. Louis and Vancouver. And the NYC show also is excellent quality, albeit exceptionally croaky for Plant. I'm personally waiting for the Feb. 2 Pittsburgh show to be unearthed, as my uncle went to that show and tells me constantly how awful it was. (I've since set him straight by giving him Southampton 73 and Royal Albert Hall 70) ;) Also, lest we not forget that Page's finger was majorly jacked after he caught it in that fence and it impaired his playing, including substituting HMMT for Dazed.

Also, lest we not forget that Page's finger was majorly jacked after he caught it in that fence and it impaired his playing, including substituting HMMT for Dazed.

Actually, the fence sprain was at Long Beach Airport in 1973. In 1975, he slammed it in a train door. :lol:

That's why I love ya Solar! We're blatant trainspotters!!! :beer:

Then he stumbles in the bloody garden weeks before the O2! What is with those digits Jimmy? :rolleyes::lol:

^ No doubt! When I heard about Jimmy breaking his finger before the O2 show, I thought "AGAIN!?!?" I've never broken a finger before, and Jimmy has done it several times!

But yeah, I wonder where all the recent '75 soundboards are coming from. I wonder if someone who worked on that tour was plugging into the board, and has had them all these years...

I've never broken a finger before, and Jimmy has done it several times!

I've broken a few fingers, and a few toes, and my wrist a couple of times. Usually involved some disagreeable fellow.

Self defense your honor, I swear!!

But Jimmy? Accident prone, I guess! :lol:

I just have to laugh at the morons on the old board who tried to claim Jimmy's injury was a ploy to get him out of the O2 commitment because he couldn't play anymore! Showed you, ye lack of faith bastards! Awfully quiet now, aren't you, you muckers!

I never doubted you Jimmy! Not for a second! EVER! :beer:

But yeah, I wonder where all the recent '75 soundboards are coming from. I wonder if someone who worked on that tour was plugging into the board, and has had them all these years...

The band did routinely make recordings of their shows, not with a view to release them but just as a record. So the fact that it was recorded is not unusual - but you are right to wonder how they are all being released?

Conspiracy theory - maybe Jimmy is releasing them?

I was just thinking about that. Could it be possible that Page in the future would just release every recording he has on zep. What would the point of him taking all those tapes to his grave. I'm sure he still wants to release stuff officially, but don't you think he'll make available all those soundboards and studio tapes? Zep is the biggest band by a large margin that doesn't care if Live tapes are traded, not sold for profit. On alot of the tape trading sites, the have lists of bands you can not trade with. Zep is open except official stuff and tapes from shows that they used. All of Earls court is available except the songs that appear on the LZ DVD 2003

Archived